Unique and AutoComp comparison

PDA

PreMod70
September 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
I've been looking for a replacement to my 10 grain Unique .44 Mag load and wish to ask if anybody is using the Winchester AutoComp powder for a similar load.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unique and AutoComp comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
codefour
September 3, 2011, 12:39 AM
I have used both in a bunch of different calibers. I use Unique for lead SWC 44 mag loads. I have only used Auto Comp in pistol loads such as .40 S&W, 9mm, etc.

I will tell ya one thing about Auto Comp, it had to be the dirtiest powder I ever used. 100 rounds of .40 in my Sig P226, and the thing was caked with soot. I mean a 2 to 3 millimeter layer all over the nternals. I thought it was just me and my reloading habits. A couple of fellow reloaders also tried it and found it to be very dirty as well. It did shoot pretty well with very controlled recoil but was too dirty.

A nice alternative to Auto Comp is Alliant's Power Pistol. Shoots similar to Auto Comp, actually I thought PP was better but PP is much cleaner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unique and AutoComp comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!