Question for anyone who knows the Orange County, CA area

PDA

SoCalGeek
January 24, 2004, 09:07 PM
Do you guys know of any competitive shooting opportunities around here for teenagers, or all ages? (I'm 15) I'm looking for an excuse to go shooting more often :p Thanks for your help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for anyone who knows the Orange County, CA area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swifter
January 24, 2004, 09:18 PM
Check with the California Rifle and Pistol Association, they list all CA matches. join, too...
Luck,

Tom

Black_Talon
January 24, 2004, 09:57 PM
What kind of shooting?

San Gabriel Valley Gun Club (in Duarte, LA County) has some NRA type (smallbore and the like) stuff.

There's combat and cowboy matches at the Rahaugges ranges in Corona.

You can get some info (mostly on combat shooting) from here (http://www.sportshooter.com/socal/).

Skunkabilly
January 26, 2004, 01:18 AM
http://www.skunkabilly.com/videos/gointactical.wmv

Come play with me :)

Destructo6
January 26, 2004, 01:25 AM
Raahauges in Corona, right next to SC Village, has all sorts of different events, clinics, etc.

http://www.raahauges.com/

The Lytle Creek range in Upland(?)has Garand matches monthly.

Black Majik
January 26, 2004, 01:32 AM
Check out most of the ranges in Orange County

On Target in Laguna Niguel has pistol matches or smallbore rifle matches.

Prado usually has IDPA matches or you can do some skeet/trap shooting there too.

There Raahauges in Corona. They usually have some events also.

West End Gun Club in Upland usually has IDPA, 3 gun matches and I believe steel madness matches.

Thats a start... might wanna go check em' out.

Have fun and be safe.

Mauserlady
January 26, 2004, 09:37 AM
The Lytle Creek range in Upland(?)has Garand matches monthly

Did they open back up?

BSlacker
January 26, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hi Mauserlady, yes Lytle is open, it is not in Upland but up Lytle Creek road several miles. For those that remember the wild and wooly days it is all cleaned up now with buildings and concrete pads, ROs and tables for all. You back up to the shooting table and it is comfortable. I think the rifle range is out to 300 yards and the other ranges are 100 yards. It is used by a few clubs and LEOs in the tri county area. It is very safe now as well, with ROs on duty and a good system for breaks. Now here is the part that sucks. The drive is rough and dirty. For the first couple of years after the rebuild they would allow pistol shooting as close as your muzzle, so long as the target height allowed the bullets to strike out past 25 yards. Well about 9 months ago some Bozo hit the ground at 5 yards while they were busy and threw rocks all over a couple of Whiners and now all pistol is 25 yards or more, so I quit and started going elsewhere. They allow rapid fire and large cap mags. Pretty open about legality but if it ain't legal don't bring it. Full auto and drawing from a holster if you got the tickets for that. Anyway if you go say hi to Connie she runs the check in shack. She knows me as Sig Man. Find out if they changed the policy I would go back. Look on the net they have a phone # with directions and times and if they close due to weather they put it on the phone. Good luck. :)

ysr_racer
January 26, 2004, 11:48 AM
I've shot at most/all of the ranges in OC. Indoor ranges suck, avoid them if you can.

Prado Olympic in Chino off of the 71 near the 91 has handgun, rifle, trap, skeet and 5-stand. They run IPSC and IDPA matches.

Raahauges in Norco off of the 91 between the 71 & 15 has handgun, rifle, sporting clays and 5-stand. They run IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy etc..

What are you interested in?

Russ
January 26, 2004, 03:47 PM
As Homer Simpson might say, "Ahhhhh, Lytlte Creek" When I used to go there there, about 10 years agos, there was no designated ranges per se. The thing was about 2 miles longer than it is now. It was a dump. Lots of great stuff to shoot at. Sorry the Govt got hold of it. Who said its safe now? More fun when it wasn't.

Lytle Creek was closer to Chino and Ontario than OC. Just go out real early to the beach and shoot until someone yells at you! Get a good 4WD so you can get away quick.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for anyone who knows the Orange County, CA area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!