Just bought a progressive

PDA

J_McLeod
September 3, 2011, 09:05 PM
Lee is selling refurbished Pro 1000's for 131 shipped, and I couldn't resist. Anyone have any tips for running them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a progressive" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hondo 60
September 3, 2011, 09:51 PM
I hope you're a tinker!
I'm not so I sold mine.

Keep the primer chute full & CLEAN.
I think this was the area that required the most attention.

If needed the advance adjustment bolt is on the left under the shell plate.

bds
September 3, 2011, 11:52 PM
Pro 1000 is not for everyone but can be made to work reliably with minimal "tinkering".

Here's a support thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=507454

Keep in mind that it is primarily meant for pistol cartridges as it will only load .223 and 7.62x39 rifle cartridges.

any tips for running them?
My recommendations to avoid the usual issues (this is my extent of tinkering):

- As with any progressive press, give yourself sufficient time to get familiar with the press operations (support thread has links for setup and operation).

- Lube all metal contact surfaces (I use leftover motor oil - any weight) and cycle the lever until the press operates smoothly.

- Lube the center hex rod (I usually put a drop or two of motor oil between index finger/thumb and lube the top and bottom spiral part of hex rod) so the shellplate carrier moves up and down smoothly.

- Set the shell plate timing so it clicks into place before the shellplate carrier reaches the bottom. If not, adjust timing by turning the Phillips screw clockwise until it does (located at the bottom left of shellplate carrier).

- Don't tighten down on the Auto Disk brass thumb nuts too much until hopper wiper gets coated and slides smoothly. You can shave/powder some #2 pencil lead (graphite) and coat the wiper surface to lubricate. Tighten afterwards but check for smooth disk slide operation.

- Make sure you move the ram lever FULLY up and down - do not short stroke the lever.

- Make sure the primer feed ramp stays full (If necessary, tap on the primer tray to fill the feed ramp).

- Keep an eye on the primer feed ramp and ensure that primer slides into station #2 (primers on the feed ramp will drop in unison). If not, use a bent paper clip or precision screwdriver and push down on the column of primers to push a primer into station #2.

- Set up the case feeder only after you have the press working smoothly with you feeding the case by hand. Large case slider takes the Z bar with a bend in the middle to clear the large slider. Small case feeder has aluminum case insert and you cannot use the large case feeder for small 9mm cases.

- If you run into any resistance or problem, STOP and DO NOT force the press to cycle. Doing so will aggravate the situation. Investigate what is causing the resistance and correct the problem.

- You may need to apply more lube on the center hex rod during your reloading session to keep the shellplate carrier moving up and down smoothly.

- Best recommendation: When in doubt, clear your shellplate and start over with station #1.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a progressive" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!