Same thing again ...

PDA

Nick93
September 4, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hi everybody !

Recently my brother bought a used handgun ... a tanfoglio p19 "combat" ( 9 mm ) ... nice pistol ... but it has a huge cont the chamber is extremelly WIDE, enormous , ... so im having a "ring" of brass (that i can realy feel with my fingernail ) when i resize them ... the previous owner said that he never had that problem before ,he used RCBS dies ... but in my case the only at hand are lyman :( and they does this problem ... now I want to buy new dies ... my quetion is ... what brand of dies dont tend to do this problem ? this guy said rcbs but i read at some forums that the risizer dont resize the entire case and they dont pass the case gauge , is this true? ... i ten to think that the mouth of the RCBS is the key to avoid this problem( it has a good chamfer ), is this right ? what brand do you recomend ? i dont mind paying something expensive but only if it works :D ...

Thanks !

If you enjoyed reading about "Same thing again ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 4, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking it is your die, not the guns chamber causing the raised ridge line.

Depending on the age & brand of your dies?
It may be that you have a thin carbide ring in the die that does all the sizing to the same diameter the length of the case. But 9mm cases are tapered .011" from front to back.

More recent dies, and RCBS & Lee that I know of, use a longer tapered carbide insert that retains the tapered case shape of the 9mm Luger case and don't leave the ring.
I use a 1970's vintage RCBS die set and I can assure you it doesn't leave a ring.
I can also assure you it sizes all the way down as far as it is possible to size, except the part inside the shell holder lips.
No die can size that part of a case.

rc

gamestalker
September 4, 2011, 02:06 PM
I use Lee and haven't had any issues. I also use RCBS for some of my other pistol cartridges and they work just fine too.
In case your not aware of it, don't tighten your carbide dies down to the point they touch the shell holder or you might fracture the carbide ring. Not all carbide dies have this issue, so it's best to inspect the die to see if it is one that has the ring exposed at the bottom.

Nick93
September 4, 2011, 09:41 PM
thanks for the info guys :) i think ill give a shot with the RCBS dies...

If you enjoyed reading about "Same thing again ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!