A-zoom snap cap

PDA

dashootist
September 4, 2011, 03:19 AM
I have these snap caps for my 32 S&W Long revolver. After a hundred times or so of dry firing, I looked at the plastic primers on the snap caps and realized two of them were worn out totally--like they collapsed. OK, $20/100 dry fire is pretty expensive! Has anyone tried to replace the plastic primers on these snap caps?

If you enjoyed reading about "A-zoom snap cap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Remllez
September 4, 2011, 07:34 PM
All of them collapse to some extent that is to say they dish inwards. As long as you don't have a hole where the primer used to be you are okay.

seed
September 4, 2011, 07:42 PM
I've dry-fired my SP101 with these in it beyond hundreds of times (thousands, which is easy to do in a revolver)...smoothed out my trigger real nice. The caps are still going strong, but they do have dents in the "primers".

PO2Hammer
September 4, 2011, 07:49 PM
A-zooms seem to last longer than the other kinds.

dashootist
September 5, 2011, 01:55 AM
OK. So I pryed the plastic primer out of the snap cap. It's only about 1/8" thick. Very wimpy. It's easy to see how they can collapse into the hole. Not worth $20. Next time, I make my own with hot glue and spent brass.

PO2Hammer
September 5, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hot glue won't be very resilient. Try silicone.

gofastman
September 5, 2011, 09:23 PM
A-zooms seem to last longer than the other kinds.
they told me over the phone i should expect about 3000 cycles from them (in 9mm at least).
maybe you got a bad batch?

PO2Hammer
September 6, 2011, 04:22 PM
they told me over the phone i should expect about 3000 cycles from them (in 9mm at least).
maybe you got a bad batch?
me?
I have no complaints with A-zoom, but I'm thinking of going the brass/silicone route with .44 special. After getting hosed by my health insurance company, every dollar counts right now.

oneounceload
September 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
using #2 pencil erasers cut to fit also work well as replacements for the pimers

If you enjoyed reading about "A-zoom snap cap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!