legal way to build your own suppressor?


September 4, 2011, 03:39 PM
MI just made 'em legal, and being a journeyman toolmaker, I could easily make my own. is there any legal way to do it myself?

If you enjoyed reading about "legal way to build your own suppressor?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
September 4, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, but you'll need to apply for and receive a $200 tax stamp before you start construction. You also can't have spare parts (baffles, wipes and such) about, as each of them is also considered a suppressor in their own right by ATF. Unless you're a handy machinist (as it appears you are), it's probably cheaper in the long run to purchase your can. (Still have to pay the tax, though!)

Prince Yamato
September 5, 2011, 12:27 PM
Go to It's the best silencer resource on the web. You'll need to fill out a Form 1 for your project.

September 5, 2011, 01:36 PM
There are several members here who have done this many times. They'll probably be along shortly to offer more input.

You will need to fill out a Form 5320.1 ( to make and register an NFA Title II item. (Technically, a silencer is a "firearm" according to the definitions of the National Firearms Act 1934.)

You will need a form filled out, fingerprints, a check for $200, and a signature from a local chief law enforcement officer (for EACH item you want to build) and must receive the form back approved with a canceled tax stamp. THEN you can build your silencer.

September 5, 2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you all. While it's likely I will never do it, if I come across some bolt or falling block .22 I can screw a bull barrel into, I would like to try making the last half of the barrel into an integral suppressor. Make it a backyard pest rifle.

September 6, 2011, 12:25 PM
+1 on what Sam and Prince said. I make my own on ATF form 1's. Let me know if you want to know more.


May 2, 2013, 06:14 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what exactly to put into section 4 for the description of the firearm? What does the ATF form 1 require for model and serial number if you are building your own can?

May 2, 2013, 07:42 PM
4a Your name an address (trust name if used)
4b Silencer
4c Caliber (22, 45, 9mm etc)
4d Model name you make up
4e N/A
4f Length in inches (or cm) Can make it a bit shorter, but make no longer than the length listed.
4g Serial number you make up. I use my initials and a number.
4h Can leave blank, but I use it to list what I engrave on the silencer. You must engrave your name, city, state, serial number, model name and caliber on the silencer tube. It needs to be at least 1/16th high and .003" deep.
4i Any reason such as; all legal reasons, hearing protection, enhance firearm collection.

Here are a couple of videos I made about building silencers.


May 3, 2013, 11:02 AM
Move to Kansas? :D

Carl N. Brown
May 3, 2013, 11:37 AM
The state legalized them.

They are still subject to all federal NFA rules.

In Tennessee, they are legal as long as I comply with federal regs. If I don't and the feds don't pursue me, I suspect Tennessee would.

May 3, 2013, 12:07 PM
The state legalized them.

They are still subject to all federal NFA rules.Well, it's a little more involved than that. KS is one of the states trying to push the idea that they can opt out of federal law in cases where a federally-regulated/restricted item is made within the state and only owned, possessed, and used inside the state, and thus the federal government can't claim a Commerce Clause oversight of it.

In other words, if you buy some KS-made tubing and own a KS-made lathe you could build a suppressor in KS that is only used in KS and never transported out of KS, and then the federal government cannot enforce the NFA against you for possessing an unregistered NFA item.

If there is ever a case brought to trial in federal court on the subject that is decided in favor of the defendant that will be a pretty big deal.

More likely it will just be one more person rotting in federal prison.

May 3, 2013, 12:09 PM
Move to Idaho and make one.

Read the definition of "accessory" and subsection (2), but pay attention to the whole thing.

That said its not been tested to my knowledge, so take that with a grain of salt (or saltpeter :D). But seriously, somebody needs to test it. I just don't want it to be me.

May 3, 2013, 06:50 PM
Clipper, just fill out and sumbit a BATF form one, pay 200 bucks to the feds, and make it AFTER you receive approval. It may be just that simple now that MI has o.k.'d ownership.

If you enjoyed reading about "legal way to build your own suppressor?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!