Lee Classic Turret Primer disposal

PDA

J_McLeod
September 5, 2011, 01:55 AM
Has anyone come up with a good solution for spent primers with a Lee Deluxe turret?

I dismounted it for cleaning and several hundred spent primers waiting for me in a neat pile. I knew they were there, but it still wasn't fun. I'm thinking of ways to put a plastic tube in there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Classic Turret Primer disposal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
September 5, 2011, 02:04 AM
Has anyone come up with a good solution for spent primers with a Lee Classic turret?
I think you're talking about the Deluxe turret, not Classic turret press. The Classic turret press uses a tube to collect the primers.

J_McLeod
September 5, 2011, 02:13 AM
I think you're talking about the Deluxe turret, not Classic turret press. The Classic turret press uses a tube to collect the primers.
I was, thanks. Made the change to the OP.

FirinFlatTop
September 5, 2011, 08:12 AM
I had one, I hung an old paint can from a hook right under the press, It caught about 98% of the primers. I sold it when I picked up a Classic at a garage sale for 5$.

The tube is sweet and catches 99.8%, I still have a jumper or two sometime.

RC

Quoheleth
September 5, 2011, 09:00 AM
I mounted mine on top of 3 1/2" tall stacks of washers. That gives enough space under the press that I can use my shop vac and suck them out every now and then.

Q

Dave P
September 5, 2011, 09:18 AM
Drill a big hole in the mounting board - primers will fall thru.

smjones
September 5, 2011, 11:38 AM
I have the clasic and use a quart milk jug under the tube.You hardly ever have to empty it. sj :)

JohnM
September 5, 2011, 11:41 AM
A quart milk jug holds LOTS of spent primers :D

bds
September 5, 2011, 06:18 PM
Has anyone come up with a good solution for spent primers with a Lee Deluxe turret?
I posted a solution method to capture 100% of spent primers on Pro 1000 press. Since the regular Lee turret press shares the same base and ram, it should work for them as well.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7561808#post7561808

greyling22
September 5, 2011, 06:45 PM
put trashcan halfway under bench
unbolt press. All 3 bolts.
pull press forward off the bench, scraping all your empties into the trashcan.

J_McLeod
September 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
I posted a solution method to capture 100% of spent primers on Pro 1000 press. Since the regular Lee turret press shares the same base and ram, it should work for them as well.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7561808#post7561808
I just got back from the hardware store where I bought some 3/8 plastic tubing. My plan had been to run the tube through each of the holes in the base. I might go with this idea instead. Thanks.

bds
September 5, 2011, 08:49 PM
I thought about doing the same thing at first (but only one tube), as the new press has ribs that would trap the tubing. Since the hole is not round, I was going to cut one side of the tubing to match the hole.

But I dropped something small in the other hole and had to take the press off the bench to get to it. And that's why I decided to use a funnel to catch anything that may fall into both holes. To retrieve anything that falls in, I just need to look in the 1 liter bottle that's at the bottom of the tube.

If the plastic of the funnel is not the pliable type, you may need to use a saw to prevent the plastic from cracking. I used an EMT type scissors that has serrated teeth on one side and utility knife to clean up the edges.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=148625&stc=1&d=1315260034

1SOW
September 5, 2011, 10:54 PM
I've used two methods and both worked.
I remounted my press on a 4" thick wood base, traced the press base outline on the wood and cut a funnel in the wood to fit the base. I used a flat wood boring bit to 'SLANT' the small end of the funnel out the front side of the block. I had a simple tray to catch the primers.

My Second method followed the "KISS" rule. I used a small piece of thin aluminum and bent it to shape. It rests flat covering the right-side hole and then bends down the right side of the press. I bent a 45 deg angle on the front side of this and folded it to parallel the press right side to make a shute toward the rear of the press. The primers are all thrown to the right. They hit where the hole 'was' and bounce down the shute into a cup. It is fastened to the press using hot-melt glue gun. It has worked 100%.
I used the thin aluminum from an old trophy's engraved plate--4"x4". Time: 20 mins.

bds
September 5, 2011, 11:04 PM
The primers are all thrown to the right. They hit where the hole 'was' and bounce down the shute into a cup. It is fastened to the press using hot-melt glue gun.
Nice. Really like that idea. I have two Pro 1000s set up so I may try that idea on the second one.

1SOW
September 5, 2011, 11:18 PM
bds, I made a rough template of thin folded cardboard first-- I flattened it back out and cut the aluminum with shears to match the cardboard, then bend the aluminum. Leave a little extra for the aluminum "bends" as they won't compress like cardboard does

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Classic Turret Primer disposal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!