rookie mistake

PDA

cemjr
September 6, 2011, 12:37 AM
I was getting my 650 dillion ready to start loading 223, then I started running very low on 9mm. I switched everything back to 9mm and started loading. Long story short, I loaded 80 rounds of 9mm w/ sm rifle primers. Not realizing the error, I took the first ten rounds out to the yard range, bang,bang.... all's good. I go back load 70 more. So here's my question. what's the diffreance between a 400 cci sm rifle and a 500 cci sm pistol primer?:o They seem to measure the same

If you enjoyed reading about "rookie mistake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
September 6, 2011, 12:40 AM
The SP are have thinner cups. The rifle cups are thicker to hold more pressure.

Josh45
September 6, 2011, 01:14 AM
I would be rather very cautious with that. As I have been told, The 9MM is a bit finicky when it comes to pressure....

noylj
September 6, 2011, 03:10 AM
The "brissance" or "power" of the SRP is pretty much the exact same as SPP. I have tried SRP in my .38 Supers, and found I would need a heavier main spring to "pop the caps." They have a much thicker case as they need to handle 65+ ksi.
DO NOT try switching SPMP or SRMP for SPP or SRP. They are a LOT "hotter."

GLOOB
September 6, 2011, 06:21 AM
Back when CCI 400's were on sale for 15 bucks, I used a thousand of 'em in in all my SPP calibers. I only had 1 light strike in my GP100. Zero issues in my Glocks.

cemjr
September 6, 2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks guys, I'm using rather mild loads as these are just range bullets. Once I noticed the mistake, I switched over to spp.

cfullgraf
September 6, 2011, 08:27 AM
Long story short, I loaded 80 rounds of 9mm w/ sm rifle primers.

As a suggestion, I never leave primers or powder in my presses over night or when a loading session is complete. I return them to their original packaging.

Even if I have intentions of returning to load more of the same cartridge, plans don't always work out and my plans get altered.

This helps minimize the chance of getting them mixed up or forgetting what is in the press.

If you enjoyed reading about "rookie mistake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!