Mossberg 500 AOW kits?


September 7, 2011, 05:40 PM
We just got our trust this last week. Don't have the funds to spare on a suppressor just yet, and I wanted to read it all over first anyway. I do have a near useless Mossberg breacher laying around, and was wanting to convert it into an AOW. Yes, it comes with a pistol grip from the factory, pistol grip only, and yes I know I have to pay a $200 fee to do it and have that done first.

My question is, does anyone sell a short barrel and mag tube as a kit? So I don't have to destroy the barrel and tube I have now?

Not too concerned about the length as long as it is under 14" or so, I just don't want to have to convert the barrel. If I had to do that, refinish it, pay the tax, then it would be better to just sell it and get a Serbu.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 AOW kits?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Sam Cade
September 7, 2011, 06:13 PM
Impact has 590 14" AOWs for $500

Might be cheaper to sell what you have and put the cash toward one.

September 7, 2011, 06:32 PM
Wouldn't it be better/easier to register it as a SBS rather than an AOW? You could do the same modifications you want to do and not have a stock on it, but if you register it as a SBS, you still have the option of putting a stock on it at a later date. You can't do that if it is a AOW.

The only advantage to registering it as an AOW is that if you ever sell it or want to transfer it to anyone else, the fee is only $5 as opposed to the $200 for a SBS. But the price of the stamp to manufacture is the same either way. I'd rather have the option to put a stock on it if it were me.

September 7, 2011, 07:45 PM
The other advantage is that we can't have SBS, SBR, or full auto --mommy won't let us. Only AOW's, and just recently, suppressors.

I can't use a shotgun much anyway, shoulder fired that is. My firing shoulder burns/aches at random times. I've taken to using an M4 for HD vs. the shotgun. I'm more comfortable with it as it is.

But I would like to have a short 12ga. pistol grip shotgun. Mostly for fun.

I'll look at those 590's, thanks. If anyone knows of an AOW kit though, let me know. I guess I'd be interested in kits for Remington too (as long as they make a grip only shotgun).

Also, has anyone had an SOT manufacturer do the work? Then just pay them for the work and the $5 fee instead of $200?

Thanks for any advice, just exploring my options. I didn't come up with much when I searched for it online.

September 7, 2011, 08:01 PM
You know what, forget about it. That 590 for $499 pretty much does it. If I pay $200 to modify mine, then I do score a barrel and tube, I'd be out just as much --but wouldn't be able to unload the one I have already.

October 9, 2011, 12:29 AM
is that just a reg mossberg cut down to be no shorter than the mag tube? i have wondered the same myself: is there anywhere to get a shortened mag tube without one of those expensive serbu deals? i would like to AOW/SBS my mossberg as well but cant seem to find any information on cutting the barrel past where it connects to the mag tube at

October 13, 2011, 03:50 AM

If it came from the factory w/ a pistol grip, and you can document that w/ a letter from Mossberg, then as long as you keep it to 26", no tax, no stamp. Bbl can go under 18".

That's kinda what we're talking about in that thread.

Farmers Fight!


October 26, 2011, 01:20 AM is selling a birdshead grip that, being longer than its predecessor from SpeedFeed, will not need an AOW tax stamp if you install it on a Mossberg with a 14" barrel because the OAL will make it above 26"...

I already own a M590 14" AOW, but ordered one of these grips anyways. They look great! Their website advertises it as such that it will negate the AOW rules.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 AOW kits?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!