Ohaus 314 Scales

PDA

ammo53
September 8, 2011, 01:03 AM
I recently bought an Ohaus model 314 loading scales. It is an older model that was probably made in the 1960's or maybe even before, but it's in great shape and looks plenty usable even though it's an older model. I needed a scales that would weigh heavier bullet weights and this one fit the bill with it's 1110 grain capacity. The label on the base says that it was made in Union NJ USA. I called Ohaus for info but they knew nothing about this model. I was just wanting to see if they might happen to have an owners/ users manual available for reference but no luck. Anyone have experience with this particular model??

If you enjoyed reading about "Ohaus 314 Scales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GP100man
September 8, 2011, 04:40 AM
The number does`nt ring any bells but a pic mite !

Sounds as if you have a variant of the 10-10 scales though , Ohaus made scales for everyone at one time or another .

RevDerb
September 8, 2011, 08:19 AM
There was a discussion right here several years ago: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-253937.html Maybe you can reach one of those who were involved in the conversation who actually owned one and they will make you a copy of the manual.

ammo53
September 8, 2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks guy's for the response. I am posting a pic for reference. Maybe someone will be able to recognize it.

dickttx
September 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
I can remember a similar scale from the late 60's. That would have been a very high dollar scale and should be extremely accurate.
I bought a triple beam scale at an estate sale a couple of years ago for $5. However, it weighs in grams, not grains.
I could find nothing at all about it on the Ohaus web site.

ranger335v
September 8, 2011, 04:44 PM
You have a great lab type scale but it's stated accuracy was the same as more conventional scales so the price drove it out of the market. Some fp the Ohaus scales of that type were magentically damped, some were not; can't tell if your's is or is not but that does matter a bit.

Part of what made lab scales great for reloaders is the fact they are easy to read because the beam is closer to eye level than it would be down on the bench top. Most the problems many claim of a beam scale being 'slow' and 'hard to read' is because the owners sit them on the bench top and the only worse place would be under the bench! Set a beam scale up on a shelf or a sturdy box with the beam up high enough to see easily and most of any presumed advantages to a costly digital scale goes away!

GP100man
September 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
Boy -o- boy I missed that 1 !!

Nice scales though , !!! Makes a 10-10 scale look like a toy !!!!

Look good ,but probably won`t work for ya in your area of magnatizim ,you need to send em to me !!LOL !

ammo53
September 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks again to all of you for your input and comments. Am in the process of finding a prominent place for it close to my press with a sturdy platform for use and then need to find a cover. I am planning to do some casting of heavy large caliber lead bullets and they will really come in handy. Thanks GP100man, If magnetism get to be a problem issue, I know where I can dispose of them. LOL

ranger335v
September 12, 2011, 11:25 PM
"..need to find a cover. "

Lay a light weight ladies head scarf over the scale, use a spring type clothes pin to secure it.

ammo53
September 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the tip ranger335v.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ohaus 314 Scales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!