odd site behavior

PDA

scythefwd
September 9, 2011, 05:17 PM
Guys of the system admin types...
Randomly I am getting redirected to the HTTPS:// instead of the HTTP:// for the site. I get it clicking on links in the forums, etc.

The fact that your webpage doesn't come up isn't odd, not everybody is running ssl on their web servers... but the odd redirect is something to look into. I've had it redirect me, I correct the url and I'm in the thread. I'm running chrome right now, haven't used IE or firefox enough to know if it's happening there as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "odd site behavior" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sky
September 9, 2011, 05:28 PM
Yes used to be you clicked and you were there and now it is not the case. Problems with search going back to original search menu. Weird.

Derek Zeanah
September 9, 2011, 05:38 PM
I'm not quite following. Can you tell me how to reproduce what you're seeing?

scythefwd
September 9, 2011, 05:38 PM
sky, separate issue.
my system keeps trying to connect to port 443, not 80.
your issue is more part of the software upgrade.
it almost appears that im getting the wrong dns lookup randomly

scythefwd
September 9, 2011, 05:43 PM
derek, i cant reproduce. its very random.

for example,
i typed in www.thehighroad.org and was redirected to https://www.thehighroad.org. worked on the next try, same url used. been happening when i attampt to enter the not for killing thread from the general discussions page. only happens maybe 3% of the time.

on a side note, why no ssl version of the site? cost of a cert?

Sky
September 9, 2011, 05:43 PM
Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Yes just thought it was weird everytime you change a page I get the above message.

Was never that way before for me??

Derek Zeanah
September 9, 2011, 05:52 PM
Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Yes just thought it was weird everytime you change a page I get the above message.

Was never that way before for me??Actually, I just turned that feature back on. It's built into vB.

Re: SSL certs, it's less the cost of the cert and more about the setup of the site. We use Google Analytics for tracking how busy the site is, for instance. Analytics can work with SSL, but when I tried setting it up last THR loaded fine on the cert we were using, but users would get a pop-up warning that some content was being loaded from another site (Google's SSL encrypted Analytics link.)

Stuff like that can be a pain, and it seems worse to try and maintain the user experience with both SSL and regular HTTP versions of the site.

I've got no problem running everything encrypted, but that might cause problems for mobile browsers...

I suppose the answer is that it's a whole lot of decisions to make, and it hasn't made it to the top half of my to-do list. :)

scythefwd
September 9, 2011, 05:56 PM
ahhh, hadnt thought about google. Im used to enterprise environment.

Andrew Wyatt
September 10, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm having a similar issue. On my phone, dolphin browser gets redirected to the ssl site and tells me the page cannot be found.

JDGray
September 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
I cant use the THR link on the top left of the page, to get the homepage either:confused:

I can navigate through the forum jump at the bottom of the page, but thats it.

It works now:)

scythefwd
September 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
JD - same experience with me now. It's working now.. looks like an upstream A record was mis-entered/advertised and when it refreshed it was corrected... This is from a user standpoint though... can't say for sure what the problem was.

Tim the student
September 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm having the same problem that JD was having (I think). Only on Firefox though it seems, which sucks because it is my browser of choice. Chrome and Safari work fine.

Eventually I get the "server is taking too long to respond" page.

Anyone have suggestions?

Derek Zeanah
September 11, 2011, 03:19 PM
It's weird.

Maybe I could find a better dns provider (or roll my own again, but I like outsourcing it). What I will probably do first is get a current certificate for https (if the current one is expired) and set an auto redirect back to the normal http server.

Mint be tuesday before I get to it though.

scythefwd
September 11, 2011, 04:12 PM
tim - i was using chrome.... thats two browsers.... shifts issue away from user and towards upstream provider or local to the site.

since it appears to be random, it points more to the upstream dns being wrong.
derek - you're not running load balanced dns servers are you? an error on one would appear random on this end depending on site traffic levels but the problem would be more widespread userbase wise. since it's outsourced.... it could be they are running load balanced for a lot of sites.... and thr could just be a drop in the proverbial bucket traffic wise....

not seeing the issue today so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "odd site behavior" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!