Full Choke For Steel Shot

PDA

wdallis
September 9, 2011, 10:47 PM
I have a 12 gauge Mossberg 535 that I waterfowl hunt with, I am curious to know if I can safely shoot #2 steel shot through a full choke tube. Does any one know the biggest shot that I can safely shoot through the full choke tube?

If you enjoyed reading about "Full Choke For Steel Shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
noylj
September 10, 2011, 04:03 AM
As far as I know, NO steel shot should be fired through a full choke. Mod/Imp is about the tightest. Even an open choke will produce tight patterns with steel.
Check the web or contact the manufacturer to verify that your shotgun can use steel and what chokes they recommend.

billyjoe
September 10, 2011, 04:19 AM
They make steel shot approved full chokes but do not use steel with a regular full choke. Be sure you get one that is approved for #2 or larger steel shot. The one i have is approved for BB but some are not rated past #4's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Full Choke For Steel Shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!