Lee Auto Disc for .223

PDA

hvychev77
September 10, 2011, 08:22 AM
anybody using the Lee auto disc set up for loading .223? any suggestions or comments on what kind of experience they've had? i am getting ready to start loading .223 for my ar15 and was curious as to what folks have to say about it.........i guess this setup uses a "stack" disc set up? thanks guys, hvychev77

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Auto Disc for .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheCracker
September 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
I've used it quite a bit. I've had really hood luck with it as far as consistency goes.

One thing you need to be aware of though. If you are using a turret press (i do) as you index more powder will settle. So when you are weighing your charges you need to index your press before weighing. It will change compared to weighing a charge that hasn't been spun and bumped around. Don't worry though either way it's a good powder measure.

griff383
September 10, 2011, 10:00 AM
I used one for a while and it worked great for plinking rounds. When weighing charges I would tap the side of the hopper a couple of times to help the powder settle. I checked every 10 - 15 charges and they were all +/- .1 grain

Blackrock
September 10, 2011, 12:26 PM
The largest cavity on a single disc was giving me a little over 19.2g of IMR4198. I had to get the double disc kit to get the powder charge I wanted for H335.

Jeff H
September 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
It works great for 223. You will need the double disk set though but it is cheap. I've made a ton of 223 ammo with both Varget and H335 with no issues from the powder dispenser.

One thing you need to be aware of though. If you are using a turret press (i do) as you index more powder will settle. So when you are weighing your charges you need to index your press before weighing. It will change compared to weighing a charge that hasn't been spun and bumped around.

+1.
There is a difference in charge weight if you don'[t cycle the press a few times before you weigh the charge.

squarles67
September 10, 2011, 02:05 PM
I load .223 with the double disk setup on the auto disk pro. I've had very good luck with it using ball powders like Win 748, H335 and BLC(2)

hvychev77
September 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
right on guys, thanks for the feedback. i figured i'd have to go with the double disc set up. I have been using the turret press and single disc set up for reloading 9mm for a while, so i have gotten a pretty good system down where i load and check weights. So far, it has been really slick for me. Thanks again y'all..........hvychev77

rodregier
September 11, 2011, 11:06 PM
+1 Double Disc kit for .223 Rem.

rondog
September 12, 2011, 01:20 AM
Yep, just finished a big batch of .223 myself. My shoulder's still sore. Double disk kit works great. If using Varget, I tend to pause about a half-second longer to let the powder drop fully, or I'll get a few grains scattered if I go too fast.

evan price
September 12, 2011, 06:35 AM
I use the double-disc kit for 25.0 of H335 and it is never over, usually .1 under max. I load on my Pro-1000 progressive for .223 and it works great.

GooseGestapo
September 12, 2011, 08:38 AM
Like others have noted, as with all mechanical powder measures; with extruded (stick) type powders you can get bridging and settling.

You'll get good results with the .223 with the typical powders (ie:H335, BLC2, BenchMark, TAC).

If you use Varget, IMR3031, Reloader15, 12, or 7,IMR3031, ect. You might "bump"or lightly thump the measure to settle the charge before advancing/indexing the press to seat the bullet.

When setting/checking a measure capacity-charge before loading, do "thump" ect. consisitently to get an accurate weight so that you know how much you are throwing.

I ususally keep a small screwdriver on the bench and lightly twirl it against the measure body to "settle" the powder. The light vibration does the trick. Is quick and consistent.

ArchAngelCD
September 13, 2011, 07:38 AM
As mentioned above, I have also had good success with the Pro Auto-Disk and double disk setup when using H335 in the .223/5.56.

TheCracker
September 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
I didn't add the powders I've used.

I primarily use varget but have used a little h335 and both did well.

rbernie
September 14, 2011, 12:31 PM
From memory - I can use the largest orifice in the single disk and get 24gr or so of TAC dropped. That makes a dandy practice load.

aerod1
September 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
I use the Pro Auto Disc for my LCT and it works great for 223.

XxBulletBendeRXx
March 6, 2012, 10:13 PM
Right before I upgraded to the double disk kit, I was simply throwing doubles.. Say 2 times lever pull with the .88 #disk.. gave me about 25 grains H335. Hey it seemed to work until the upgrade came and it works great.
Shot pulled 62 grainers the best for busting up water bottles and soda cans. :) Cycled ar action fine... accurate as I am off hand at 50M and out..

kennedy
March 8, 2012, 11:04 PM
+1 on using varget with double disk set and wacking the dispenser with the handle of a screw driver gives me very consistent loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Auto Disc for .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!