Flintlock-style grips on modern smokeless pistols?

PDA

OldDominion
September 11, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hi all,

I have a quick question. I really, REALLY like the lines and elegance of flintlock pistols. Just google search "turkish flintlock" and you'll see the type I mean.

Are there any modern firearms, smokeless and all, that have grips like that? I've been ransacking various gun sites and can't seem to find much.

Thanks, and I wish you a peaceful day on this saddest of anniversaries.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flintlock-style grips on modern smokeless pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
September 11, 2011, 01:11 PM
The two that come immediately to mind are the Thompson Center Contender and Olympic Free Pistols

tipoc
September 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
Over the years a number of companies have produced black powder replicas of flintlock pistols. These have been used by colonial war and frontier re-enactors and pirate afficionados. I don't know if any have been made for smokeless powder though.

tipoc

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
September 11, 2011, 06:58 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/Hammerli.gif
Or This On A Flintlock
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/gshot_filtered.jpg

InkEd
September 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
:I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.)

OldDominion
September 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
It sounds like my idea is basically not a popular one! I just think the aesthetics of that era are so compelling that perhaps it might have a marketing niche if it doesn't exist already. People buy Hawkens, and people love cartridge-converted clones of other blackpowder guns, I just hoped perhaps someone had a flintlock style grip on a modern pistol. The T/C Encore is what made me wonder, but that isn't quiiiite the same look as flintlock grips.

Anyone else want to see a flintlock-looking smokeless pistol, or am I just crazy?

tipoc
September 12, 2011, 01:40 AM
Well, how would it work?

It couldn't be a semi. A five or 6 shot revolver? That might spoil the lines. A single shot with smokeless cartridge? But than the flint and lock part of the gun is gone and the hammer would move to the center.

S&W had a few guns engraved and shaped by Tiffany many years back. That might be the closest that you could come.

tipoc

Maple_City_Woodsman
September 12, 2011, 10:38 AM
That type of grip morphology just wouldn't work well for anything other than a single shot. trying to swap magazines on a modern pistol with such a grip, or access any of the other controls (safety, slide lock, ect.) would be nearly impossibly, unless you had long spider fingers.

Caliper_RWVA
September 12, 2011, 11:14 AM
I see two options. First is a single shot as mentioned above. A trapdoor, rolling block or falling block action would work well and any could have the hammer offset (think of the springfield trapdoor rifle).

Second idea is a semi with tubular magazine. The magazine would look a lot like a ram rod under there. Again, an offset external hammer could be made.

I could go for one or three, sounds like fun chambered in something like 45LC, although the second idea may be better with .22's.

OldDominion
September 12, 2011, 09:12 PM
I definitely envision a single shot when I think about it, though the tube-fed idea sounds like something I'd pay a month's wages to own :D

As for the hammer, I guess I wouldn't mind it in the middle as long as it didn't look like a Handi-rifle or something. It's mostly the grips and barrel (octagonal especially) that I'd love to see sometime.

I guess it IS kinda crazy idea. Nevertheless, I wish someone would try it, since apparently no one has.

Chuck Perry
September 13, 2011, 06:08 PM
My first thought was for a semi auto pistol with a magazine well mounted forward of the trigger guard. However, the magazine protruding so far down might not be aesthetically pleasing? However, a gun like the Ruger Charger, with the flush fitting 10 round magazine, would work.

HB
September 13, 2011, 10:13 PM
Ruger Charger can be made to look like you want with a rifle stock cut down and finished as you desire.

HB

spclpatrolgroup
September 14, 2011, 10:48 AM
Grips have evolved due to increased recoil, I think if you had those grips on a modern caliber, like 357, your barrel will be pointing sky high after the shot. Same reason modern rifles do not have the angle that old muskets have, all has to do with recoil, not to mention sight allignment.

BCRider
September 14, 2011, 01:28 PM
Grips have evolved due to increased recoil, I think if you had those grips on a modern caliber, like 357, your barrel will be pointing sky high after the shot. Same reason modern rifles do not have the angle that old muskets have, all has to do with recoil, not to mention sight allignment.

Or if not pointed sky high the grips would slide through the hand and jam the hammer or other edges around the trigger against the thumb to forefinger web, palm or the trigger guard into the middle finger very hard if using a stout hand gun round.

For up to .38Spl, .45Colt cowboy loads and perhaps .44Spl it wouldn't be so bad. And let's face it, such a gun would be a range toy only. So a break open single shot style action would be entirely in keeping with such duties.

As a fairly easy conversion I think I'd look at the H&R Topper Jr line. The action ia quite small. With the barrel replaced with a rifled option in one of the lighter hitting hand gun rounds and the stock cut down and given a Turkish feel I suspect this would work decently enough as something different.

Of course cutting down a shotgun to make a rifled handgun likely requires jumping through some legal hoops. But it should be do-able for a gunsmith/custom maker and not cost the world.

SheAlsoShoots
September 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
Have you seen the new bolt action .22 (called either Chipmunk or Cricket, depending on where you're looking)? It's not quite flintlock, but it's sweet. We held one, fell in love and ordered one for each of us for Christmas :-). If you're interested, I'll post more details when it comes.

".22 Crickett bolt action rifle with the barrel cut down to about 10" and mounted on a target style pistol grip similar to the one on the 10/22 based "Charger" pistol from Ruger. It's a single shot .22 bolt action with the bolt mounted on the LEFT side vs. the right. " (from http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/crickett-22-pistol-14010/)

and for a picture (poor though it is):

http://www.gunsamerica.com/964202948/Guns/Pistols/C-Misc-Pistols/Cricket_Arms_Chipmunk_Pistol_22LR.htm

Cosmoline
September 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
There were 19th century revolvers such as the Adams (the one Dr. Watson used) which had very swept-back designs. I've never shot one but I suspect recoil would be magnified.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flintlock-style grips on modern smokeless pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!