Colt 38 Army Special

PDA

Elsie
September 11, 2011, 01:53 PM
Any assistance or advice I can get would be helpful. I have recently inherited this firearm from my mother's side of the family. The Colt 38 army special belonged to my great grandpa, who purchased it in the early 20th century. To our knowledge it has never been fired. It appears brand new(blue in colur with black grips). The serial # is 526993. I would like to know the year it was issued and it's approximate value. Any help anyone could give would be great! Cheers, Elsie

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 38 Army Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
September 11, 2011, 02:01 PM
Grandpa's Army Special was made in 1926, according to Proofhouse.com.
That was the last year before Colt changed the model designation from Army Special to Official Police, probably because they had not sold any revolvers to the Army for the past 17 years.

Blue Book says a 100% Army Special is worth $1000.
Do you have the box it came in?

Elsie
September 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Jim!
Thanks for your prompt reply. The gun has been passed down in the same oiling cloth that my G Grandpa used. There is no no box. Too bad, as I'm guessing that the firearm would have an even greater value if it was in it's original box? I am awaiting to take my handgun course. I'd love to fire the Colt, but I'm guessing this would decrease it's value significantly as well? Perhaps it will simply remain our family heirloom and collector's item...as is, unfired. It really is a well crafted work of art. Cheers, Elsie

Trebor
September 11, 2011, 02:57 PM
If it truly is unfired firing it would lower the value.

Yes, the box would increase the value, as most people discarded the boxes or they were lost over the years. Still, even without the box, the gun has definite collector value.

If you are going to take a beginner handgun course I reommend obtaining a different gun and using that for the course.

You can always decide to shoot it sometime in the future, but I woudln't shoot it as much as would be needed to complete a course.

Btw, got any pics to post?

Elsie
September 12, 2011, 06:03 PM
Trevor, Thanks for the input . I really appreciate it. No pictures of the Colt as yet.Cheers, Elsie

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 38 Army Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!