Can no longer get on THR using IE 9?

PDA

rcmodel
September 11, 2011, 02:31 PM
Starting Sept. 9th, I can no longer access THR using IE9.
I thought the site was still down from the maintenance work, so just waited.
Finally started digging deeper today.

I can get on with my wife's Apple, and I just installed Firefox this morning and am using it now.

I have deleted all cookies, and checked IE9 internet security & Kaspersky Anti-Virus security zone of blocked sights?
Found nothing there.

Any ideas on what else I could try?

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Can no longer get on THR using IE 9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve H
September 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
I don't know what's wrong but I have noticed a difference in the web site in the past couple of days. After reading a post I keep getting a "redirect" message.

T Bran
September 11, 2011, 02:34 PM
+1 on the redirect message

Derek Zeanah
September 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
You aren't the first to complain about the redirect messages.

Consider yourself heard. :)

Derek Zeanah
September 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
Re: IE9. I will try it when I am back at my computer, but it should be working fine.

JDGray
September 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
rc
I was able to get on thr through google, on a sub forum(rifle country) Once I was on I could navigate through the forum jump at the bottom right of the page. I scrolled to" forums home", saved it to my favorites, and everything is back to normal.:)

rcmodel
September 11, 2011, 04:57 PM
Derek

It's got something to do with IE9 security "Enable Protected Mode" being checked.
(default setting)

I unchecked it and THR works.
Doesn't work with it checked.

I can't find any other website that doesn't work with it checked.

It all just started on the 9th.

rc

saltydog452
September 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'm a computer illeterate Neanderthal. Sooo, thinking newer might be better, I downloaded the new version of IE. It was the #9. Everything went to helengone.

Seems that # 9 was put on the market for the 'market' to do the beta testing.

One of the kids came over and removed IE 9 and re-installed IE 8.

My gerbil powered 'puter and I are happy with Version 8 again.

salty

rcmodel
September 11, 2011, 08:14 PM
I was too. (Happy with IE8).
Heck, I was happy with IE6, until my computer crashed in late June and wiped me slick.
I had to start over with a new Win7 system & IE8.

But ieSpell spellchecker wouldn't work on IE8, and I can't spell.

So I tried IE9 and it found something THR was using that blocked ieSpell.
IE9 gave me the option of installing the patch, or whatever it was, and IE8 didn't.

Then everything worked just peachy keen for the last two months, until the THR maintenance on Sept 9.
Then nothing worked atall.

rc

ghitch75
September 11, 2011, 09:10 PM
throw IE out the window and download Goggle Chrome.....GC has spell check...

Derek Zeanah
September 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'm a Chrome fan too, but it should be working. There were no structural changes that should have affected IE's performance. I just tried accessing the site using IE9 and it works fine for me, but there could be some intermittent issues with DNS. At least that's a reasonable guess.

I'll move things tomorrow if I can find a reasonable solution, though it will take a couple of days to see if it helped or not...

Mal H
September 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
rcmodel got it working by unchecking "Enable Protected Mode".

Derek, can you try it with that mode on if it isn't already on? I don't have IE9 to test with.

rondog
September 12, 2011, 12:26 AM
I just tonight flushed IE9 down the gurgler and went back to IE8. I had no problems on this site or several others, but at one of my faves I was completely locked out.

If you go to Control Panel, then Programs, Uninstall A Program, then to View Installed Updates on the left, you can uninstall IE9 very easily and your IE8 will come right back the way it was.

samurai
September 12, 2011, 06:29 PM
I couldn't get in with Firefox or Google- having to use Internet Explorer.

subman47
September 13, 2011, 06:07 AM
same as samurai, cant get on using foxfire, keep getting this when going to index page (The connection has timed out

The server at www.thehighroad.org is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

i think i found the problem in Foxfire---- go under tools then options then under advanced tab network then clear offline storage and now foxfire is working when i logon index page

rcmodel
September 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Well, I just fixed it.
But I don't know what I did!

I read subman47's post about Firefox Line Storage check mark, and went looking for something similar in IE9.

Anyway, I didn't find "line storage" but did find something that sounded somewhat similar.
I changed that setting from disable to enable and now IE9 can get on THR again.

Unfortunately, now I can't remember which one I changed???? :banghead:

rc

saltydog452
September 13, 2011, 03:40 PM
I can't remember stuff either. Maybe thats a 'clue'.

If its more complicated and has more options than a light switch, most likely, I'll eventually cuss at it. :banghead:

salty

plateshooter
September 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
Tried the Fire Fox cure in post 15. Worked for me too.

Mal H
September 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
rcmodel - It's not "line storage", it's "offline storage". I don't know what the equivalent is in IE, but it might be something having the word "cache" in it. If you do find what you changed, please let us know in case someone else has the same problem.

Derek Zeanah
September 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
It's still weird to me. I get through fine with Chrome and IE9. It may be a DNS issue, but if so it's some weird interaction with how DNS queries are cached and not shared between different browsers.

I'll swap DNS servers later this week. Right now my registrar is handling DNS for us and it's worked well since I migrated to that in March. I've talked with the two leading DNS providers and the business strikes me as less than ethical -- $200 per month, commit for a year, likely overages can be $750 per month, etc.

I'll end up setting up my own DNS servers, so it won't be a "pay the money and turn it on" situation. It'll take longer, but it's on my list of things to do this week.

Hopefully that'll fix it. If not, then we'll look at the next thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can no longer get on THR using IE 9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!