Hornady Powder measure baffle placement?

PDA

Shrinkmd
September 12, 2011, 09:18 AM
I just received my Hornady LNL powder measure baffle, which someone here suggested I call them about (they come with the new measures!)

So, where exactly inside the plastic powder measure should I place it for optimum functioning? I see on the Redding website that theirs seems to be maybe 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (at the point of the folded piece of metal) Is this the best spot?

Also, I was thinking of adding the vibrating fish pump to my measure as well. I'm hoping to get better ES and SD on my loads, especially with Unique and 2400. The Bullseye loads always seem to be in single digits of SD.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady Powder measure baffle placement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ranger335v
September 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
"...where exactly inside the plastic powder measure should I place it for optimum functioning?"

It isn't critical. Put it anywhere in the lower portion of the hopper and go.

Waldog
September 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
Place at the bottom of the reservoir with the tent ridge facing front to back on the same axis as the rotator drum. Does that make sense?

cfullgraf
September 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
I place the baffles in all my drum style powder measures (4 at last count) as Waldog suggested. You do not want the openings in the baffle over the opening in the drum cavity.

It works for me.

Another member of the forum as good luck placing his baffle in his Redding powder measure up farther as the Redding pictures show. He finds location of the holes does not matter when the powder column below the baffle is taller.

Shrinkmd
September 12, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm confused. Doesn't the opening for the drum sit in the center? I could align the tent of the baffle so it is along the axis the hole moves (front to back) vs along the axis of the drums rotation? Maybe a picture would help.

Also, have people noticed a difference using the baffle?

beatledog7
September 12, 2011, 02:00 PM
Not 100% sure but from Waldog's description of the recommended position, I think he meant the ridge should run perpendicular to the drum's axis.

cfullgraf
September 12, 2011, 03:11 PM
Waldog's placement description was a little confusing, but I did not want to confuse things more.

The tent roof of the baffle should be located front to rear, perpendicular to the rotational axis of the drum. That way, an opening in the baffle would not be directly over the opening in the drum cavity. Your operating handle should be next to one of the holes in the baffle. Hope this makes sense.

If the baffle is located up a ways in the reservoir, the location of the holes seems to be less critical.

I find the baffle very helpful and won't run a measure without one. You must throw 15 to 20 charges to settle the powder column before you get consistent results, but that is no different as running without a baffle.

Consistency of operation is important. Do it the same way every time to get consistent results. I prefer to vibrate the measure as little as possible. Others like to rap or bump the measure on each stroke. Some even use a fish tank pump to vibrate the measure.

There are folks that get good results without the baffle.

Walkalong
September 12, 2011, 03:58 PM
I keep my baffle 2/3's of the way to the top of the hopper. I have to add powder more often, and settling the powder by running 10+ throws is more important, but it is quite consistent.

Bottom line is it helps, and position is not as critical as consistent operation.

dbarnhart
September 12, 2011, 04:57 PM
Mine came with an isometric drawing showing it at the bottom.

BYJO4
September 12, 2011, 07:49 PM
I also keep mine at the base of the hopper. This is how Hornady shows it in their illustration and works fine.

One78Shovel
September 13, 2011, 08:43 AM
I run my baffle at bottom of hopper running side to side, as you are looking at the front of the loader, east to west.

Meters fine powder like H335 very well. But IMR-4064 requires me to pay closer attention.

-178S

Shrinkmd
September 16, 2011, 06:23 PM
Moot point. When I put it into the plastic powder tube it slipped to the bottom. So I guess I can position it facing me (Inverted v facing me) at the very bottom of the measure.

Any other choices?

cfullgraf
September 17, 2011, 12:47 AM
Moot point. When I put it into the plastic powder tube it slipped to the bottom. So I guess I can position it facing me (Inverted v facing me) at the very bottom of the measure.

Any other choices?

If you want the baffle at a location other than the bottom, you can tweak the bend a little so that it grips the sides of the hopper tube. Go in small increments. Too much flattening of the bend and the baffle will be difficult to move into position. Not enough and the baffle will slip to the bottom.

That is how Redding positions its baffle off the bottom.

Take a straight piece of stiff wire (coat hanger, piano wire, welding rod) and bend a hook in the end so that it will fit through the holes in the baffle. It will make moving the baffle easier.

But, at the bottom of the hopper works for me.

Shrinkmd
September 19, 2011, 02:52 PM
I tried out the baffle a few inches above the bottom, no vibration. I was using 2400, and was getting plus minus 0.1, so it seems a bit better than before. I'll have to try the aerator next time and see (right now the fish need it, and I couldn't find the spare)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady Powder measure baffle placement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!