Looking for a good .44Special.

PDA

A strange person
September 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
At some point, I'm going to want a decent defensive handgun for my truck, limited CCW, and for woodsbumming when I don't feel like carrying my rifle. The .44Special is perfect to me because I already reload for the .44MAG (Can use the same reloading equipment and components), and I just plain ol' like it's ballistics.

What I want is a .44Special DA with a 4"-5" barrel that weighs about 2 pounds, and less is better. It can be a five-shot, if necessary. No alloy-frames. It doesn't need to be a tack-driver; if it can kill a squirrel at 25 yards it can do anything. It shouldn't be a piece of junk that will need to be repaired after a few months of normal use.

Can anyone list revolvers that have been produced in the last 60 years or so that fit this description and can be found used for $500 or less? There doesn't seem to be many .44Special revolvers being produced today. The Charter Bulldog fits the bill, but the company just doesn't seem to have the reputation for quality that I like.

It's not something I can afford right now, I just figured I'd get some research out of the way while I had the idea. I can't find any way online to simply get a list of every weapon ever made chambered for a specific cartridge. If anyone knows of a site that has something like that, please let me know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a good .44Special." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waidmann
September 12, 2011, 06:00 PM
I had and was reasonably pleased with a Taurus Tracker, 5 shot, SS, ported, .44 Mag that only had specials put through it. I had and was not nearly so pleased with a Rossi 720 (I think) DAO, 3" all steel. I currently have a Charter DAO and a pair of S&W 6-shooters. The Charter definately will not decapitate a squirrel at 75 ft. in my hands, but for a light CCW I feel I am getting good service. The $500 ceiling in a .44 spl. does sort of limit one's options.

paul105
September 12, 2011, 06:04 PM
This might be as close to your specs as is available. It is a .44 Mag, but this might be a positive. Weight is 34 oz. and MSR is $688 (actual price should be less). Anything lighter will be some type of alloy or combination of alloy and steel. Rossi was supposed to reintroduce their .44 special, but couldn't find any listed at Libpsey's, Bud's, or Davidson's.

FWIW, Some have had quality issues with Taurus and their customer service has also been questioned at times.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=TA44TRACKER4SS&mfg=Taurus&type=Revolver&caliber=44+Magnum&action=Double+%2f+Single+Action&stock=Black+Rubber

Paul

MMCSRET
September 12, 2011, 06:07 PM
I am using a 19 year old Taurus Model 441 for exactly the type of use you describe. I have had it for 7 years, am the 4rth owner that I know of. The others sold it because they did not hand load and considered 44 Special too expensive. I cast and load and put over a thousand rounds a year thru it since I've had it. It is a 6", SS. I bought a new OEM 4" barrel for it after I bought it just 'cuz I could, someday I'll change it out. The 441 has really good ergonomics(for me) and is very accurate. 5 shot medium frame, easy to use. I also have a S&W 624 3", RB, fine, fine revolver, but it feels like a boulder in my hand after the 441. The S&W is very heavy and much larger over all except for length. 441's do show up on the auction sites from time to time, both blue and stainless.

MMCSRET
September 12, 2011, 06:10 PM
I am of the opinion that a Ruger GP100 in a 5 shot 44 Special configuration would be a fine addition, maybe in 41 Magnum also, 5 shot.

Black Butte
September 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
If I was going to use the Taurus Tracker for defense, I'd prefer 7 shots of .357 over 5 shots of .44.

Exeter
September 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Charter makes the Target Bulldog with a 4inch barrel and improved sights. I am familiar with the Bulldog Pug of 20 years ago, and it would reliably drop five rounds into a 3- 4 inch circle at 25 yards DA.

CraigC
September 12, 2011, 06:56 PM
There are more .44Spl's available today than at any other time in history. Ruger finally has several variations of the mid-frame flat-top. Plus several New Vaqueros. S&W has produced a few different 24's and 22's (or was it 21's?). You can special order them from Colt and they just reintroduced the New Frontier this year. USFA has the chambering available in several different models. Charter Arms also has several different versions of their little .44Spl.

dprice3844444
September 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
buy a 4 inch stainless 629,load it with 44 special.no ammo mistakes

IAmNightMan
September 12, 2011, 07:36 PM
One possiblity is the S&W 696. It is a 5-shot L-frame, and is about 36 oz unloaded. It does have a 3" barrel, a little shorter than what you had stated, but it balances well for me. It is stainless steel, and the "no-dash" model lacks MIM parts and the IL, if that matters to you. The one thing to be aware of is the thinner forcing cone present on the 696; it is advised you stay away from any hot loadings of .44 specials (Keith-type loads) to prevent damage to the cone.

A strange person
September 12, 2011, 07:51 PM
The Colt New Service would be just about ideal, but I doubt I could find one.

There are more .44Spl's available today than at any other time in history.
The .44Special is perhaps the most under appreciated handgun cartridge in history. It's a tragedy.

Charter makes the Target Bulldog with a 4inch barrel and improved sights. I am familiar with the Bulldog Pug of 20 years ago, and it would reliably drop five rounds into a 3- 4 inch circle at 25 yards DA. If all else fails, that might be what I get. I may also just get one of the Ruger/Lipsey's SA's.

A strange person
September 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
S&w 696
One possiblity is the S&W 696. It is a 5-shot L-frame, and is about 36 oz unloaded. It does have a 3" barrel, a little shorter than what you had stated, but it balances well for me. It is stainless steel, and the "no-dash" model lacks MIM parts and the IL, if that matters to you. The one thing to be aware of is the thinner forcing cone present on the 696; it is advised you stay away from any hot loadings of .44 specials (Keith-type loads) to prevent damage to the cone.

I'd never heard of it 'till you mentioned it. The barrel is a little short, but usable. I'd probably take it if I found one for a good price.

sidheshooter
September 12, 2011, 08:59 PM
I may also just get one of the Ruger/Lipsey's SA's.

Well, if you are willing to forgo the DA platform, I can say that the lipsey vaquero (mine is a 3.75" sheriff) is accurate as all get out, and probably strong enough to take any sane load. It is also easy to tote; that's my "woods" revolver.

Up until now, I had nothing for ya–though I like the idea of the first gen Tauruses (fixed sight 431 and target 431) from 20 years ago. I've shot one owned by the simply rugged guy (Rob Leahy) and have wanted a clean one for a couple of decades since...

The GB auctions that I have been following of late seem to be selling more beat up examples, but I'm sure a gem will turn up at some point.

P5 Guy
September 12, 2011, 09:11 PM
S&W 696 is a cult revolver. S&W only did a couple of runs and that means the piece is on the rare side and that means pricy. But worth it. 696 is my favorite gun.

jad0110
September 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Up until now, I had nothing for ya–though I like the idea of the first gen Tauruses (fixed sight 431 and target 431) from 20 years ago. I've shot one owned by the simply rugged guy (Rob Leahy) and have wanted a clean one for a couple of decades since...

If you find one that passes the checkout, the Taurus 431s are very nice revolvers. I love mine. They have fixed sights, and came in 3" and 4" barrels. Maybe more, I'm not sure. I picked up this 3" mint condition example made in 1993 about 10 months ago for $268. The DA trigger is nearly as smooth as a S&W, and the gun balances very similar to a 3" S&W K Frame (very nice). Recoil is moderate and the gun is a natural pointer in my hands. Not much to not love.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Taurus%20Model%20431/DSC02321.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Taurus%20Model%20431/DSC02331.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Taurus%20Model%20431/DSC02323.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Taurus%20Model%20431/DSC02276.jpg

Walkalong
September 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
I got lucky and picked up a 696 very reasonable 3 or 4 years ago. Awesome gun. I still want a 441 one of these days. I have been out bid on a 441 twice. I have almost bought a S&W Model 24 a couple of times. May still do it one day.

mnrivrat
September 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
I shot a lot of rounds thru my 4 inch barreled Taurus Tracker in 44 magnum. It took to 44 Spl loads like a duck to water, and always gave me the option of using the magnum in special circumstance. A 5 shot gun in a frame about the size of the S&W L frame. I do recommend this gun.

That said, I also have a pair of 3 inch barreled Rossi Model 720 guns and these are the only Rossi guns I ever managed to fall in like for. A 5 shot 44 Spl about the size of a S&W K frame. Mine shoot well and handle even better. That I have two of them should say that I am satisfied with them, and I certainly am .

I'd rather have 5 shots of 44 caliber than 7 of 35 cal. but that's me.

azgunner
September 12, 2011, 11:14 PM
I own a Taurus 431 in blued like the one pictured. Got it new for $300.00 last October. Awesome weapon. I also own a Rossi 720C in 44 Special. Got it new in January for $350.00 Both weapons are fantastic. I couldn't ask for better CCW weapons. They shoot great, they carry really well. As for reliabilty neither one have any issues. The only other weapon I put in as high asteem is my Ruger Speed Six in 2 3/4 357 magnum. All 3 are my CCW weapons.
I shoot Blazer Gold Dots in 200 grainers for defense and shoot 200 grain lead for practice. This is a reload your own caliber though. But it is so much fun.

Tony_the_tiger
September 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
The 696 looks nice but you won't find it in your quoted price range.

I have it's cousin, the 296, in my pocket right now...but this is scandium so also violates your criteria, and would likely exceed the quoted price range as well.

For your purposes (limited ccw, some woods use, and a truck gun), and under $500, you can pick up a new Ruger blackhawk in .44 special with a 4.62" barrel. :D

You won't have any bullet limitations on that firearm for .44 special as you might in 5 shot snubs (the 296 is limited to 200 grains... it just so happens my favorite .44 factory load, the corbon DPX, is that weight. But, given the option, I might load heavy for caliber).

http://www.galleryofguns.com/ProdImageSm/5232.jpg

Just go to the gun genie link, type on your zip code and the caliber, find the ruger, and click "instant quote". for my zip code, i'm getting offers around the $450 mark. Not bad at all and you'd have a lifetime warranty on it from davidsons as well.

sidheshooter
September 13, 2011, 12:34 AM
If you find one that passes the checkout, the Taurus 431s are very nice revolvers. I love mine. They have fixed sights, and came in 3" and 4" barrels. Maybe more, I'm not sure. I picked up this 3" mint condition example made in 1993 about 10 months ago for $268. The DA trigger is nearly as smooth as a S&W, and the gun balances very similar to a 3" S&W K Frame (very nice). Recoil is moderate and the gun is a natural pointer in my hands. Not much to not love.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Taurus%20Model%20431/DSC02323.jpg

jad0110, that's the exact one. If I could find a 3" 431 as clean as yours for anything close to your sub 300 ticket, you could-as another THR member once observed-hear my hand moving to my wallet, it would be so fast.

Nice pics, too. That is exactly the one I'd like to find, blue steel, fixed sights and all. Good catch.

pendennis
September 13, 2011, 12:47 AM
...S&W Model 696.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/pendennis1947/SWModel696LFT.jpg

A strange person
September 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
The Taurus Tracker looks like it may suit my needs. I wish other companies could learn how to make steel frame .44MAG's that weigh only 35 oz.'s

PapaG
September 13, 2011, 09:48 AM
If you could find one, a 624 would make a great gun. I picked one up while looking for the Taurus...a few years back for not much more than the Taurus would have been. True, it is a N frame but has the thinner barrel, no underlug, and is very accurate. (For carry, in those states that trust me--ours doesn't--I use an old, original Charter Bulldog).

I have a Rossi 720 which is pretty nice but weighs about as much as the Smith while being somewhat smaller and with an inch less barrel and groups about three times as big as the Smith.

Tracker would definitely be on the table if I didn't have one of the above.

Stainz
September 13, 2011, 11:05 AM
Just look for a decent used 4" 629 - it'll handle any .44 Special you find - and more. I have a 696, too - but my 4" 629 will be here when my 696 is a memory. At 41.5 oz, it's heavy - but less than 6 oz more than that 696.

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_3509.jpg

My 4" 629 and 696, both above, sport Ahrends cocobolo grips - more than enough for .44 Special or my wimpy .44 Magnum loads. Great pointers, too, especially the 4" 629.

Stainz

PS A 629 Mountain Gun, or even a 29MG, is a tapered tube/partial-lugged/chamfered cylinder/smaller hammer & trigger version of the 4" 629 that weighs 39.5 oz.

Lucky Derby
September 13, 2011, 11:36 AM
A 696 does not meet his price requirement. Havn't seen one sell for much under $1K in a long time, especially a no dash.

A strange person
September 13, 2011, 05:31 PM
Just look for a decent used 4" 629 - it'll handle any .44 Special you find - and more. I have a 696, too - but my 4" 629 will be here when my 696 is a memory. At 41.5 oz, it's heavy - but less than 6 oz more than that 696.

I may, but what really attracts me to the .44Special is that it could potentially be found in a gun of 2 lbs. or less. If I got a .44MAG, I would just use light loads in the .44MAG brass.

A strange person
September 13, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm liking the S&W 29 more and more. At 41.5 oz's, it's about the same as a full size Colt SAA (which has never felt unwieldy to me), but would still handle and carry better due to the 4" barrel.

By "limited CCW", I don't mean a gun that one would conceal under summer jogging clothes in the middle of Boston. I mean that I may want to carry it under an overshirt or jacket when going from a parking space to a tract of forest (I avoid advertising that I have guns whenever possible for numerous reasons) or for tramping around semi-populated areas like unpaved backroads, abandoned railroad tracks, ghost towns, etc. I love doing stuff like that, but there are some SCARY people where I live. I live in Bumpkinsville New England, and someone like me is very likely to run into skinhead types or people growing pot in the middle of nowhere. You think urban drug dealers are scary? Redneck drug dealers are the worst. Oh yeah, and there are moose here that have lost all fear of man. Makes 'em easy to hunt, and to be hunted by. I was also stalked by a sickly looking black bear once...while walking down the road.

That's what I meant by "limited CCW". I don't need a glock.

sidheshooter
September 13, 2011, 08:45 PM
By "limited CCW", I don't mean a gun that one would conceal under summer jogging clothes in the middle of Boston. I mean that I may want to carry it under an overshirt or jacket when going from a parking space to a tract of forest (I avoid advertising that I have guns whenever possible for numerous reasons) or for tramping around semi-populated areas like unpaved backroads, abandoned railroad tracks, ghost towns, etc. I love doing stuff like that, but there are some SCARY people where I live. I live in Bumpkinsville New England, and someone like me is very likely to run into skinhead types or people growing pot in the middle of nowhere. You think urban drug dealers are scary? Redneck drug dealers are the worst. Oh yeah, and there are moose here that have lost all fear of man. Makes 'em easy to hunt, and to be hunted by. I was also stalked by a sickly looking black bear once...while walking down the road.

That's what I meant by "limited CCW". I don't need a glock.

I'm on the other side of the nation, but boy, do I hear you on this.

I guess now would be a good time to retract my recommendation of the Ruger Vaquero... unless you don't mind carrying 2 of them, full up with some real thumpers.
;)
That might cover it. Otherwise, I'd say the 29/629 idea with mid-to-3/4 level loads in the mag brass makes sense. Sounds like you're squarely in Mountain Gun territory...

Dave T
September 13, 2011, 11:16 PM
You might also consider a used S&W Mountain Gun in 44 Mag. It has a tapered barrel and round butt, making it lighter and most think easier to pack all day on the belt. I've met/talked to a number of guys who never shoot anything but 44 Specials in their MGs.

Dave

A strange person
September 14, 2011, 10:09 AM
You might also consider a used S&W Mountain Gun in 44 Mag. It has a tapered barrel and round butt, making it lighter and most think easier to pack all day on the belt. I've met/talked to a number of guys who never shoot anything but 44 Specials in their MGs.

If I found a good one for the right price I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

A strange person
September 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm on the other side of the nation, but boy, do I hear you on this.

It seems there is nowhere one can go to escape bears, bullies, and boogymen.

Busyhands94
September 14, 2011, 10:39 AM
how about getting a .44 Magnum, you can shoot .44 specials and .44 Magnums out of it. or you could go all "Clint Eastwood" and get a S&W Model 29! that is a nice gun!

snooperman
September 14, 2011, 10:41 AM
single action 44 sp. I just bought one and love it. A real fine shooter at a very good price. Now , I have to have this one customized in a "Perfect Packin Pistol". The S&W 696 would be fine choice if you need a double action gun.

A strange person
September 14, 2011, 09:53 PM
+1 on what CraigC said about the new Ruger Flat-tops--

It's on my list. I like that it's made on a smaller, lighter frame than the blackhawks. Making a .44Special on a .44MAG frame is as stupid as stabbing yourself in the eye.

snooperman
September 14, 2011, 10:26 PM
I too do not like shooting 44 sp from the 44 magnum guns. The new Flat tops are easy to handle-like it was meant to be.

230therapy
September 14, 2011, 10:36 PM
Simply download 44 Magnum to 44 Special velocities. It's still going to be a large frame revolver unless you get the five shot S&W 696 or Taurus equivalent.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2006/04/27/reloading-the-44-magnum/

As Sweeney puts it: you get three power levels with 44 Magnum.

Unlike many other cartridges, the .44 Magnum is actually three cartridges. Run at the sedate and low pressures of the .44 Special, it is both a soft-shooting load and a thumper. A 240-grain lead semiwadcutter loaded to only 900 fps posts a power factor of 216–beyond all but the top-end .45 ACP +P loads.

Making a .44Special on a .44MAG frame is as stupid as stabbing yourself in the eye.

There's only so much room in an Smith and Wesson L-Frame cylinder...hence the five shots. The N-Frame gets you six shots. The Model 24 and 624 are still N-Frames.

4thHorseman
September 14, 2011, 10:54 PM
My favorite 44 special which I always carry now is the S&W 396 Night Guard. It is scandium frame (very light at 24 oz) L frame size, tritium front site with Cylinder and Slide extreme duty rear sites. 2 1/2 inch barrel. Matte black finish. Nice to shoot. Very nice trigger. Entirely out of the box from factory.
I highly recommend this revolver. :)

CraigC
September 15, 2011, 09:40 AM
While it would be silly to build the large frame Rugers into .44Spl's, there's nothing wrong with a good N-frame .44Spl. They have the lovely tapered barrel, which cuts significant weight. A 6" 29 weighs 5oz more than a 6˝" 24. Not only are they lighter overall but IMHO, they balance and handle better. They also have better sights. I despise orange insert front sights but the 24's have a wonderful black post. The only .44Mag in that configuration is the Mountain Gun and I adore mine. It's been Mundenized so the action is like butter on glass and it shoots 2"@50yds if I do my part.

azgunner
September 15, 2011, 05:09 PM
As a ccw weapon, I'd go with the Taurus 431. Or the Rossi 720. Can't get much better then that. As a trail gun, the Ruger Single Action is just dandy! Forget the S&W's. They are over rated. Load your own for practice and the trail. For defense, buy the Gold Dots in Blazer. You will be on the winning side with that combination.

CSA 357
September 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
i love my 3 inch 624!

A strange person
September 15, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'll probably get them all eventually, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

A strange person
September 15, 2011, 06:34 PM
.44 SPECIAL. Settling the whole "9mm vs .45" debate for a century now.

Best motivational poster I've ever seen.

sidheshooter
September 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'll probably get them all eventually, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
^^^Well, there you go again, just making sense...

Somewhat OT, but this thread needs more pics. My old Rossi:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93636&d=1235882795

joed
September 15, 2011, 09:25 PM
I was a big fan of the .44 Spl for a number of years. Most of mine are N frame 624's and a 24-3. All nice guns too. I tried a Charter BD and sold it after the first range trip. I now have a Taurus 445 which is a 5 shot 2" barrel same size as the BD. This is my vehicle gun. I wouldn't cry if I lost it but I'd miss it. I said I'd never own a Taurus but this one changed my mind.

The problem with the .44 Spl is factory ammo. It costs as much if not more the .44 Mag with poor selection. Load your own and you're in business.

Here's the Taurus, sweet little gun.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/jzurinda/278taurus445.jpg

joed
September 15, 2011, 09:29 PM
Another possibility to consider is the S&W MG. I have one and it is a magnum but it is only comfortable with Spls.

I'd pass on a 696, people think they're made out of gold. I bought a 686 + which I feel is a nicer gun. I'll take 7 shots of .357 over 5 of .44 Spl any day.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/jzurinda/DSC_0658.jpg

medic-rod
September 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
I just put 44 specials in my ruger super blackhawk when my wife has it don't need 2 guns when you have the best!

CraigC
September 16, 2011, 03:54 PM
Big difference between a Super Blackhawk and a proper .44Spl. :rolleyes:

dprice3844444
September 16, 2011, 04:06 PM
charter arms bulldog pug i think it is

A strange person
September 16, 2011, 09:11 PM
The problem with the .44 Spl is factory ammo. It costs as much if not more the .44 Mag with poor selection. Load your own and you're in business.

With the exception of the .22LR, I don't buy factory ammo.

A strange person
September 16, 2011, 09:13 PM
this thread needs more pics.

Definitely.

tedcaster
September 16, 2011, 10:09 PM
www.gundirectory.com

Owen Sparks
September 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
My brother has a Taurus 431 just like the one in the picture except with a 4" barrel. It is a nice reliable revolver though I don't like the fixed sights. They are just too small to see in dim light.

A strange person
September 17, 2011, 10:41 AM
www.gundirectory.com

Thanks!

Dave T
September 17, 2011, 11:04 PM
Someone said this thread needed more pictures, then I read:

Forget the S&W's. They are over rated.

Can't hardly let that go un-challenged so here are a few "over rated" 44 Special Smith & Wessons:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/desertarcher/SW%20N%20Frames/IMG_0306.jpg
1st Model 44 Hand Ejector, also known as the Triple lock, this one shipped from the factory in 1914

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/desertarcher/SW%20N%20Frames/IMG_0313.jpg
2nd Model 44 Hand Ejector, this 5" shipped in 1922.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/desertarcher/SW%20N%20Frames/2009_1226AH.jpg
4th Model 44 Hand Ejector or Model of 1950 44 Target, it shipped in 1954.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/desertarcher/SW%20N%20Frames/IMG_0010.jpg
Model 24-3 shipped in 1983 and it's original 6.5" barrel was cut to 5" and re-installed.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/desertarcher/SW%20N%20Frames/IMG_0298.jpg
This 624 shipped as a 4" in 1985 but a previous owner cut ~1/2" off the muzzle, ramp and sight and round butted the frame.

These "over rated" S&Ws shoot better than I can see at my age and will continue to do so long after I'm gone.

Dave

Papa_Woody
September 18, 2011, 02:26 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but in my search for a new wheel gun for ccw I came across a new charter arms bulldog in .44spl. $300 for it. Which is what I am looking to pay. For that price I was looking at .38 spl taurus. How well made are these charters? And please know that the pride of my fleet is my Ruger SRH Alaskan .454 so a big wheel is not lost on me. I have no problem shooting the .44 I just want to know how well made the charter is for a .44 spl? Many thanks

cochise
September 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
Taurus and Charter Arms are solid revolvers, but not designed to be shot allot. The quality is not great but usually quite dependable. Taurus copied the looks and much of the mechanics of S&W. I think if S&W kept the .44's in their line up they would still be selling. I guess there is a majic number in sales if not made it gets dropped out of production. Too bad I think.

CraigC
September 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
My favorite .44Spl is also my first. An Old Model Ruger flat-top .357, rechambered and rebarrelled by Jim Stroh. Along with custom front sight, custom basepin, slick action job, beveled cylinder, matte hard chrome finish and ivory micarta by CLC.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7120e.jpg

sidheshooter
September 19, 2011, 03:04 PM
That is one *fine* looking wheelie, Craig. I like everything about it; the beveling, the finish, the grips, the chambering... ;)

If that's "armchair", then sign me up!

:D :D :D

RogueLeader
September 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
Since we're showing pics of .44s, here's a pic of my Tracker.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt334/RogueLeader52/forum%20pics/P1010002-1-1.jpg

CraigC
September 19, 2011, 04:13 PM
That is one *fine* looking wheelie, Craig.
Thank you!

paul105
September 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
Craig,

I never get tired of seeing that gun.

Paul

CraigC
September 19, 2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks Paul and you remind me that I forgot to mention the wonderful FA 97 in .44Spl! ;)

mavracer
September 19, 2011, 08:38 PM
love them 44 specials 686 and SA rugers both.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mavracer/SANY0850.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mavracer/IMG-20110407-00124.jpg

waidmann
September 19, 2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, I hate the lock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a good .44Special." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!