best powder measure

PDA

antony35
September 12, 2011, 09:29 PM
helo , i would like to know about the powder scale in the market today .which is the best electroninc scale .
antony

If you enjoyed reading about "best powder measure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Josh45
September 13, 2011, 02:06 AM
Electronic scales can be good but some of them seem to have much variance in them. Most people here would recommend a good beam scale. Which is what Im going to recommend to.

You can use the Lee Safety Scale. It is good and accurate. Just make to have it leveled and no wind is hitting it. Other than that, Im using a RCBS 5-0-5 scale and it is just fantastic.

Either of the two I would recommend but if I had to buy one, I would go for the 5-0-5...

Walkalong
September 13, 2011, 07:31 AM
Best measure is the Harrells. Best electronic? I have no clue.

noylj
September 13, 2011, 09:50 AM
Exactly what are you looking for?
Best powder dispenser? I really like my RCBS ChargeMaster. If some thing happened and I could only have one way to charge cases, I would keep my ChargeMaster and give up the other measures and balances.
Best powder measure for the least money would be either the Lee Pro Auto-Disk for charging cases on the press or the Lee Perfect Powder Measure for charging cases off the press. I was really impressed with my PPM and how consistent it can throw a charge.
I consider the Hornady L-N-L powder measure to be excellent compared to other measures I have tried. The use of inexpensive powder metering stem means you can buy a metering stem for any powder/charge weight you plan to use a lot as they only cost $10 each.
If I considered the Hornady L-N-L to be "too inaccurate" for my shooting, I would fall back to the ChargeMaster rather than spending a lot of money on a "Benchrest" powder measure.
Electronic balance? Look to RCBS, Lyman, or Dillon
Antique balance beam? Look to RCBS or Dillon

jcwit
September 13, 2011, 10:19 AM
Electronic scale? Who knows! I have an inexpensive one $40.00 that works fine for my uses. Others clain only the High end scales are worth purchasing.

Personally I believe a scale that ALWAYS repeats even tho off a 100th grain or 2 is more that satisfactory. Thats 100ths of a grain 2 digits right of the dot.

Kevin Rohrer
September 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
re: Powder Measure

There is no "best" of anything.

If you equate "best" w/ most expensive, then Harrell's is what you are asking about.

If you mean most accurate, Harrell's does a good job, but so do alot of others for far less money. I wouldn't hesitate to run my 60 year old Hollywood against a Harrell's or any other measure for speed and accuracy.

JohnM
September 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
For a scale I still use my old Lyman M5 I bought in the mid 60s.
Still as accurate as when I bought it.

I've decided to get a new Lee measure to fit on the Classic 4 hole turret, I'm hoping it will be accurate and consistent enough to be worth getting.

BYJO4
September 13, 2011, 05:12 PM
The RCBS Chargemaster has worked well for me but I still like by beam scale best as there is virtually nothing to go wrong with it. A beam scale will last a lifetime but no idea how long my electronic scale will last.

James2
September 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
Your header asks for a powder measure, then your text asks for a scale. Which?

I use a Lyman 55 Powder Measure. It is great. It even measures Unique consistently. I hear lots of people grumping that their measure won't throw consistently with Unique. It has enough capacity to throw some large charges too.

I use a Lyman M5 beam scale. I agree with JohnM. It will stay accurate as long as you don't somehow damage the pivots.

MovedWest
September 14, 2011, 03:57 AM
RCBS Chargemaster. Stellar performance, super accurate, and sets you up to load amazingly consistent loads at the same rate you can seat your bullets in a single stage press.

One of these will add to that immensely:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=118739

Glue/tape a half dollar coin to the bottom to steady it on the scale.

-MW

If you enjoyed reading about "best powder measure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!