left to right

PDA

n2deer
September 14, 2011, 12:29 AM
New to the pistol thing.

Shot long guns for a long time, just start with the pistols. What is one of the main things when shooting that causes left to right hits.

Im assuming its the trigger pull on my part or grip.

Thanks

B

If you enjoyed reading about "left to right" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maple_City_Woodsman
September 14, 2011, 12:37 AM
Someone needs to post "the chart". I don't have it on file.

Bobson
September 14, 2011, 01:20 AM
This?
http://www.hhrg.org/correct.gif

n2deer
September 14, 2011, 10:17 AM
Thank you very much.

Never saw that before.

Bobson
September 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
THR was the first place I saw it too. Had no use for it at the time, but knew I would eventually.

BCRider
September 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
Getting the right grip and doing so in a consistent manner is the first step. I was going to post a link or two after googling for "proper handgun grip" but the whole first page of results all looked to be worth reading. Just duplicate that search. In particular the You Tube trailer for the Todd Jarret video is full of gems.

Only once you are using a proper and supportive grip is it time to worry about that chart.

But the chart is only somewhat usefull according to many folks. It was originally intended for correcting single hand shooting woes. So far no one has done a similar one for the more current two hand hold.

You want to hold the gun with the force of a strong but friendly handshake. If you're getting white knuckles and the tendons are standing out you're holding too tight. Too tight makes it hard to move the trigger finger with the proper disconnection from the other fingers and hand.

You also want to smoothly build pressure on the trigger rather than "pull" it. Just build pressure smoothly and allow the trigger to move as it wants under your trigger finger. The build of pressure should be smooth and even until the gun goes BANG! And don't let go when that happens. Pull all the way to the end of the trigger travel. Then just as smoothly ease up on the pressure and allow the trigger return spring to push your finger ahead as it wills.

With a proper hold and a smooth pull and provided you don't have a flinch issue you should be able to shoot fairly tight groups of around 2.5 to 3 inches at 12 to 15 yards. Once you're doing that then you can play with altering where your finger sits on the trigger and how your trigger finger hinges to pull the trigger. To achieve a nice straight back pull on semis most of your trigger finger hingeing should be with the joint just out from the knuckle. The knuckle itself should not do much with a semi. With a revolver the knucle plays a bigger part when shooting double action.

n2deer
September 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks alot. I mainly have this issue with a revolver and not with the 1911 or newer style polymer guns

Skribs
September 15, 2011, 03:46 PM
For me, it was actually the sights. My XDm came with the sights not exactly lined up correctly. It was shooting low-left. When I got new sights installed (was getting night sights) it shot just right.

BCRider
September 16, 2011, 12:36 AM
I mainly have this issue with a revolver.....

Same idea. You want to find the right way to hold the revolver.

There used to be some great videos online by Jerry Miculek. The links I was using went toes up some time back. But if you can find them there were 5 of them that covered a lot of aspects about revolver grip and trigger use.

WAIT! I found them!

Grip- http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/shooting-usa/jerry-miculek-revolver-grip
Trigger control- http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/shooting-usa/jerry-miculek-trigger-control

If this link works it's the results page from a search I did at OutdoorTV using "Jerry Miculek" as the key words. If this link doesn't work you can just do a search using the line at the top of one of the video pages with "jerry miculek" as the key word. Stance, grip, trigger, reloading and holster drawing. It's all there for revolvers.

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/jerry%20miculek

If you enjoyed reading about "left to right" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!