six-Guns

PDA

Bobson
September 14, 2011, 02:51 AM
Hey guys. As I said before, I have very little experience with revolvers. Basically limited to holding them in gun shops. Recently I've been looking at options for a hunting sidearm, and it occurred to me that I've always had an interest in old school six-guns. The Ruger Vaquero in particular has caught my eye.

Are these guns user friendly, or are they better suited to someone with a lot of experience with revolvers? Also, would it be impractical to carry one as a sidearm while hunting? I've always assumed the handle style (very L-shaped compared to modern handguns) would result in a fairly uncomfortable gun to shoot. Is that an accurate perception?

Thanks a lot guys, sorry for the noob questions.

If you enjoyed reading about "six-Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
September 14, 2011, 03:13 AM
The Colt SAA Plow Handle , that the grip of the Blackhawk is patterned after is actually very comfortable to shoot. But it is based on a different recoil management concept.

The Plow Handle is designed to roll (back) into your hand in recoil as opposed to the DA grip which stops this with the recoil shoulder

Lucky Derby
September 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
They are simple, especially the New Model Rugers, which the Vaquero is. Like 9mm said, the grip rolls in your hand. Best to use smooth non-checkered wood or other smooth material. I can shoot my Blackhawk all day long with hot .357s. In any of my DA revolvers, I tire quickly of it and switch to light .38s.

DWFan
September 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
If you like Rugers, the Blackhawk is a better option than the Vaquero as a hunting revolver. The similar, but not exactly same, Magnum Research BFR comes in more powerful caliber options. Freedom Arms is the ultimate but expensive.

Bobson
September 14, 2011, 03:57 AM
It's not that I like Rugers; I've actually never owned any Ruger - either pistol or rifle. I just saw the Vaquero, liked the look of it, and felt that the price seems really reasonable. Plus I figured it's a Ruger, and with all the good things everyone says about em, figured any Ruger would be a good choice. Will definitely look into the Blackhawk. Thanks for the responses.

CajunBass
September 14, 2011, 07:31 AM
The only reason to pick a Blackhawk over a Vaquero would be the adjustable sights. Well I believe the Blackhawk might be a slightly bigger gun, but not a lot.

If I planned to hunt WITH it, I'd get a Blackhawk. If I just wanted to take it with me hunting, it really wouldn't matter.

foghornl
September 14, 2011, 07:39 AM
The single-action revolver with the "Plow Shear" type grips tend to roll back in your hand, giving a much different recoil pulse than Double-action and auto-loader type guns.

One of the most comforatble SA revolvers that i ever shot was a Shooting Budds .45-cal Vaquero with the very rounded "Birds Head" grip. Not everyone likes the Birds Head style grip, however

p.s. Smooth grips ONLY on that SA revolver. Checkered grips WILL bite.
Never mind HOW I know...I just know

BCCL
September 14, 2011, 08:58 AM
"By "hunting sidearm", do you mean one to actually hunt with or just carry while hunting?

If your going to hunt with it, then the Blackhawk with it's adjustable sights is a better choice than a fixed sight New Vaquero.

W.E.G.
September 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
I've carried a various handguns while hunting, and have always regretted it.

Why do I need several pounds of steel weighing me down on one side, and digging into my hipbone while I climb all over heck and beyond, and I've got a 30-06 rifle in my hands?

The Ruger single-action guns are fine handguns for shooters of all stripes.
I own a few.

snooperman
September 14, 2011, 11:09 AM
you can't go wrong. For hunting I like the Blackhawks. I also like the Vaquero as well in Plough handle and Bisley . I have 2 that have been customized into"Perfect Packin Pistols". Most of the custom gunsmiths use the Ruger Platform for many of their fine custom sixguns.

CraigC
September 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
It's plowhandle, not plowshare or "shear". The plowshare is the part that cuts. The "blade", if you will.

Is that an accurate perception?
Nope. They are very comfortable to shoot. As the others have suggested, I would recommend the Blackhawk for its much more usable adjustable sights.

Bobson
September 14, 2011, 01:52 PM
To clarify, I don't plan to hunt with it. If I got it, I would have it along with me as a backup gun, while bowhunting. For predators, basically. Either type. And I didn't intend this to become a "bear gun" thread, so I apologize if it comes across that way. The advice I've gotten on the Blackhawk and Vaquero is exactly what I was hoping for.

9mmepiphany
September 14, 2011, 02:16 PM
It's plowhandle, not plowshare or "shear". The plowshare is the part that cuts.

You're right, the city boy in me used the wrong word...I corrected it in the original to avoid any further confusion

CraigC
September 14, 2011, 02:22 PM
It's really something you have to decide for yourself. I love SAA's and other fixed sight sixguns but have a terrible time shooting them accurately. I had a stainless Bisley Vaquero fitted with a matte blued dovetail front sight that I was so disappointed with that I had to send it back for the full adjustable sight treatment. It's not so much about the adjustability as it is the far more user-friendly sight picture. It's exceedingly difficult to shoot accurately with sights that are round where they should be square and shiny where they should be matte.

You're right, the city boy in me used the wrong word...I corrected it in the original to avoid any further confusion
Not a big deal, I see it online all the time and it usually doesn't trigger my OCD. ;)

Vern Humphrey
September 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
Essentially, there are three guns:
1. The Blackhawk, which has adjustable sights and is hell for strong.
2. The Vaquero, which is the Blackhawk without the adjustable sights.
3. The New Vaquero, which is built on a smaller frame and is not quite as strong as the Blackhawk or Vaquero -- but as long as you don't intend to fire +p++ handloads, the smaller, more elegant New Vaquero will be plenty strong.

The advantage to adjustable sights is that you can make the gun shoot where she looks and if you change ammo, you can adjust the sights accordingly. With fixed sights, if the sights aren't dead on when you buy the gun, you're stuck with experimenting with one load after another until you find one that shoots to point of aim -- and you may also have to turn the barrel in the frame, install a new front sight, or do some filing, too.

Lawdawg45
September 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
For hunting, the Blackhawk is a better choice with it's adjustable sights, and the new model Vaquero will not handle hot loads as the Blackhawk will.

LD45

CraigC
September 15, 2011, 09:31 AM
The Vaquero is built on the same large frame and will handle any "Ruger only" load, which is applicable to the .45Colt only.

The New Vaquero is built on the medium, Colt-sized frame and should be kept at 21-22,000psi or less.

Bobson
September 16, 2011, 03:30 AM
Spent some time with a Ruger SBH .44 Mag with a 5.5" barrel today, and just about fell in love with it. Think I've made my decision, but haven't bought it yet.

addedpulp
September 16, 2011, 10:16 PM
If you want a single action, consider the same caliber as you rifle.

BCCL
September 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
^seen a lot of single actions that shoot arrows? :)

I would have it along with me as a backup gun, while bowhunting.

Maple_City_Woodsman
September 16, 2011, 10:58 PM
I rather like Bisley style grips myself, but the originals are not bad either. :)

I'm currently drooling over the Uberti open - top conversion in 38spl, and Rugers classic styled Single Six.

Vern Humphrey
September 17, 2011, 10:55 AM
If you want a single action, consider the same caliber as you rifle.
Single actions in .30-06 are hard to come by.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "six-Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!