8lb. Powder Container with “Puffy” Appearance

PDA

Mikee Loxxer
September 14, 2011, 01:24 PM
I had one of my local gun shops order me an 8lb. container of Accurate Arms 4350. Last night they called and stated that it had come in. When I picked it up I noticed that it had a “puffy” appearance. Upon removing the seal I noticed a puff of air came out. The powder did not have an unusual smell nor did it have an unusual appearance. Unfortunately I do not have the capability to post a picture of it.

Any ideas on what might have caused this?

If you enjoyed reading about "8lb. Powder Container with “Puffy” Appearance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
medalguy
September 14, 2011, 01:29 PM
Different atmospheric pressure. Buy a bag of potato chips in Miami. It will look flat. Buy a bag of potato chips in Denver. It will look like a pillow.

rcmodel
September 14, 2011, 01:37 PM
Yep!

Russell-Stover candy had to build new plants east of the rockies because the chocolates kept imploding coming down out of the Rocky mountains from the Montrose, CO plant.

All the air pressure means is, your powder drum had a good seal when it was shipped from a lower altitude.

rc

Mikee Loxxer
September 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
I had considered the air pressure difference but didn’t think it was the culprit as I am at approximately 1200 feet above sea level. This stuff must have been packaged at a significantly lower elevation.

rcmodel
September 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
Air temperature also plays a role.
If it was packed in cooler conditions, and you are in Nebraska during this summers heat wave when you popped the seal?

That might have something to do with it too.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "8lb. Powder Container with “Puffy” Appearance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!