Hi Point Carbine - couple questions

PDA

Quoheleth
September 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
I've been contemplating a lighter-weight HD/SD carbine. I know Hi Points have a pretty decent reputation - ugly, but functional.

Are these carbines lead bullet friendly? I load and shoot almost exclusively lead bullets for my pistols; be nice to be able to shoot cast lead out of a carbine, too.

9mm vs .45 - not a balistic comparison, but any issues in the carbines, one caliber vs the other?

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Point Carbine - couple questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clipper
September 14, 2011, 05:56 PM
My old 995 would shoot anything I fed it.

Joel Lehman
September 14, 2011, 06:19 PM
My 4595 feds everything. I normally shoot LSWC, but I have tried TC, JHP, FMJ, all with no problems.

Captain33036
September 14, 2011, 09:05 PM
I got a new 9mm Hi Point carbine a short time ago and just love it. It just works, has been 100% reliable and incredibly accurate. It is fun to shoot.

But to your point, I do think it makes a good HD weapon. It is very nicely balanced and compact, even more so than a typical AR. The main limitation is the lack of hi cap magazines. You can get 15 round mags for the 9mm, the standard ones are 10. I do not see that as a very big deal, but certainly there are other weapons that offer more.

I selected it because of it's price and value. For a low price, it did everything I wanted it to do. I could not see paying $600 or more for a carbine, when you could get an AR for in that range. Some of the other choices, such as the kel tec 2000 (?), did not as robust and did not allow for mounting optics.

One thing about 9mm, from what I can feel when I shoot and from what I have read, I think the 16 inch barrel gives the 9mm round a good bit more power. Another plus.

Hope this helps

J

chris in va
September 14, 2011, 10:37 PM
My story.

Bought a used 9mm at a gun show for $120. Took it home, lubed it up and it jammed every third shot at the range. I took it apart and discovered the previous owner probably didn't lube it much as the metal was worn down severely at the bottom of the receiver (ZAMAK).

Trip to HiPoint on my dime, $60.

Got it back, saw that much had been replaced, got a couple free mags :rolleyes: and worked fairly well for a few months. Then the safety snapped off for no reason, rendering it INOP.

Trip to HiPoint, $60.

New safety, new barrel (for some reason). Jammed every third shot. Discovered the barrel was misaligned.

Trip to HiPoint, $60.

Shot it two more years off and on, chunk of metal broke off from a part of the receiver where the firing pin rides, INOP.

Trip to HiPoint, $12.50. HiPoint lady finally informed me it could be shipped in pieces by UPS.

Sold it a couple months later, along with the 12 magazines.:scrutiny:

rondog
September 14, 2011, 11:01 PM
My 4095 just seems to make these big holes in things....

Oh yeah, it likes lead bullets too, as long as they're .40 S&W it'll shoot 'em. And happily.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/my%20High%20Points/DSCN1764.jpg

General Tso
September 15, 2011, 01:06 AM
There is NO WAY I would trust my life to a Hi-Point. My 995 jams constantly.

jonnyc
September 15, 2011, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear Gen'l, yours is truly the odd one. Call HP for some help or send it back to them, they have GREAT customer service.

USAF_Vet
September 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
I had a 995, sold it a couple months ago. I never had a problem with it while I had it.

I'll probably get another one in .45 to match my HP pistol.

Not every one is going to be flawless, but my experience with them has been very positive. I sold it only because I needed the cash more than I needed the gun.

Pretty fun gun, lots of options for add-ons. Low cap mags was a drawback. the .45 carbine does share the exact same mag as the .45 pistol. not so with the 9mm. 9mm pistol mags would not fit in the carbine, but the carbine mags would fit the pistol.

sansone
September 15, 2011, 01:20 PM
lead round nose cycles fine in the 995.
great little carbine, good support at hipoint too if you ever need it

General Tso
September 15, 2011, 01:34 PM
I agree that "for the money" it's a good deal. I'm just saying that I wouldn't trust it for home/self defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoubleTapDrew
September 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
9mm vs .45 - not a balistic comparison, but any issues in the carbines, one caliber vs the other?

If you want the ATI stock (to make it look like a Beretta Storm carbine and shed it's ugly) it only fits the 9mm, not the .45 model.

Furncliff
September 15, 2011, 02:01 PM
I would trust mine for HD/SD in a heart beat. My carbine (.45acp) has been very reliable. One FTF in~1000 rounds. I'm reloading for it, lead is no problem. I have had a complete failure to feed using SWC bullets. I suspect this to be a magazine issue. I have not cared enough to chase this down as I'm ok shooting RP or HP bullets. I bought a 15 round Pro Mag magazine meant for the 1911. I have yet to modify it to fit the HP because it has not been reliable in my 1911, I'll chase this down at some point. I'm not a HP fan boy, but for what cost this homely little rifle has earned a place in my gun cabinet.

sansone
September 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
buying the rifle in 45acp is easier than feeding it

Cornhusker77
September 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
My 995 has been my "chicken house" gun for going on 3 years.
It's never failed me yet.
I had a new 995TS Hi Point, and it was much smoother operating than the old style.
I would still have it, but SIL's husband wanted it pretty bad.
He gave me an almost new Ruger P345 and $100 for that $250 carbine....how could I say no?:D
I will get another TS next time they come on sale.

Jenrick
September 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
A buddy has one that runs like a top. Only problem is that it only runs with the 10 round mags. Other then that it's a great little pistol caliber carbine.

-Jenrick

Panzercat
September 15, 2011, 08:04 PM
I've been contemplating a lighter-weight HD/SD carbine. I know Hi Points have a pretty decent reputation - ugly, but functional.

Are these carbines lead bullet friendly? I load and shoot almost exclusively lead bullets for my pistols; be nice to be able to shoot cast lead out of a carbine, too.

Q
You lost me at the light weight part. 7lbs (as much much as my 30-30 marlin 336 incidentally) isn't exactly featherweight. Not to say they aren't fun, but they aren't exactly made of throw around material either.

I agree that "for the money" it's a good deal. I'm just saying that I wouldn't trust it for home/self defense.
If the safty mechanism is anything like their pistols, I can't say I'd be rushing to buy one either. As I've found out recently, it's far too easily defeated by accident.

rugerman
September 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
I've had a 9mm for about 3 years, use it as my truck rifle. I don't worry about it getting dinged up like I did my 1894 marlin and a little rust on it won't bother me either. Fun gun, so far its 100% reliable with lead round nose and several weights of jhp's. Not light by any means but it does carry easily, wish they would have made provision for a quick detachable sling, but it is what it is and it does a good job. I don't see the problem with a 10 round mag, if you haven't hit it by then throw the damn thing at it and leave.

Biohazard1993
November 17, 2011, 04:14 PM
My story.

Bought a used 9mm at a gun show for $120. Took it home, lubed it up and it jammed every third shot at the range. I took it apart and discovered the previous owner probably didn't lube it much as the metal was worn down severely at the bottom of the receiver (ZAMAK).

Trip to HiPoint on my dime, $60.

Got it back, saw that much had been replaced, got a couple free mags :rolleyes: and worked fairly well for a few months. Then the safety snapped off for no reason, rendering it INOP.

Trip to HiPoint, $60.

New safety, new barrel (for some reason). Jammed every third shot. Discovered the barrel was misaligned.

Trip to HiPoint, $60.

Shot it two more years off and on, chunk of metal broke off from a part of the receiver where the firing pin rides, INOP.

Trip to HiPoint, $12.50. HiPoint lady finally informed me it could be shipped in pieces by UPS.

Sold it a couple months later, along with the 12 magazines.:scrutiny:
so it seems buying a new one is the best way to go unless hi-point is extensivly checked.

wingman
November 17, 2011, 05:06 PM
My 40 has been flawless and accurate,however I believe most jamming problems with these carbines can be traced to a lack of lube IMO.
I would be dubious about a used one as I am with any auto type firearm purchase unless I know the owner.

Cluster Bomb
November 17, 2011, 07:12 PM
my 4595 never jammed or anything. i even fed it wolf ammo and it ate through them. they are good guns. dont listen to the guys who say they stink (they never shot one) ive seen many converts.

Byrd666
November 17, 2011, 11:02 PM
Okay, okay. I'll buy a Hi-point 9mm carbine.
Ya'll happy now :-)

subdude
November 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
Mine ate anything I fed thru it, and shot pretty well.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/subdude/web%20stuff/f2587840.jpg

Panzercat
November 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
Fails at the words "light weight" :)
But otherwise a good firearm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Point Carbine - couple questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!