Dick's sporting goods

PDA

j2crows
September 14, 2011, 06:18 PM
Just learned we have our first ever Dick's come to NM. Do they carry firearms and reloading stuff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dick's sporting goods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wild willy
September 14, 2011, 06:54 PM
Don't know about all but the ones around here carry firearms and loaded ammo no reloading stuff

BBDartCA
September 14, 2011, 07:10 PM
Have never seen reloading stuff at Dicks. Firearms and hunting supplies are not too special, either.

oneounceload
September 14, 2011, 07:19 PM
ZERO reloading. basic wally world type of gun selection - basic pumps and other low-end stuff

parker51
September 14, 2011, 07:31 PM
Check their after hunting season sale on hunting clothes. They have the best selection of hunting gear in this area. Walmart used to but they don't carry much at all for hunting gear. Watch for sales. I have found tree stands reduced to half price after the season. They do have some archery and black powder supplies, but nothing for reloading.

Oathkeeper1775
September 14, 2011, 07:37 PM
They took over after GI Joes went bankrupt. Nice people, a lot of stuff for the casual enthusiasts.

mgmorden
September 14, 2011, 08:03 PM
They have an OK gun selection and plenty of ammo and fishing supplies, but unfortunately no reloading stuff. Tis a shame. Even if they don't carry a huge variety I think some of the big box stores could make a lot of money just selling primers and/or powder.

dhodgins
September 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
LOL no! You might find a plastic ammo box here or there, but that's it. Horrible selection of firearms. Mediocre ammo prices.

raddiver
September 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
The one in Indiana next the BPS has powders and primers. That was about 6 months ago.
Not sure if its changed since then.

ReloaderFred
September 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
The one in Eugene, OR, is just like a larger Big 5. I was there twice and wasn't impressed. The one in Salem, OR, is the same way. They seem to cater to the armchair sportsman crowd.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Hondo 60
September 14, 2011, 09:56 PM
Dick's in Green Bay, WI carries long guns (no handguns)
And ammo ( no reloading supplies)

In other words - useless - to me anyway

dc.fireman
September 14, 2011, 09:56 PM
The one in Eugene, OR, is just like a larger Big 5. I was there twice and wasn't impressed. The one in Salem, OR, is the same way. They seem to cater to the armchair sportsman crowd.

Hope this helps.

Fred
Pretty much my impression too, Fred.

1SOW
September 14, 2011, 09:57 PM
The one in South TX wasn't worth the trip for shooting supplies.

1stmarine
September 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
They are getting away form the gun business due to the anti-gun culture and radicals everywhere. They still support but it seems low key. Although they have great deals in Remington club loads, rifles and shotguns.
Not the place for the reloader that is for sure. It might be different from state to state but it is clear they are focusing more in the metro fitness yuppies than the bad azz shooting folks.

Tim the student
September 15, 2011, 12:45 AM
The ones that I have been have not had handguns, reloading supplies, good prices, or knowledgeable employees (or employees that were in a hurry to act like employees for that matter). Maybe yours will be magical and have all of those things.

Livnoutdoorsxd9
September 15, 2011, 01:18 AM
The only powder and primers that you'll find in a dsg is pyrodex/777 and 209s for muzzle loaders. I don't spend my money at that store anymore though, 4 years running the gun counter for a poorly managed store will do that. It is unfair, however, to say that they only handle low end guns and have a poor selection. In my time I've seen anything from Remington premiers to sakos and franchis and whatever's in between. You don't sell a lot of guns by having shelves full of $1500 guns.
There was a silver pigeon that was there when I started and is still there to this day...

They also have a decent special order book full of guns you might be looking for but you won't find anything tacticool...unless you like r-15s and r-25s

toivo
September 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
New York State: no reloading stuff. Long guns, but no handguns. They tend towards the low end of the market, but you can get a nice Beretta shotgun there if you'll settle for an autoloader. They have some generic sales, like a package deal on a Marlin 336 with scope just before deer season, etc. Prices are halfway decent, but their selection is nothing to write home about.

They have the best prices around for shotshells if you watch the sale flyers in the Sunday paper. Federal Top Gun target loads this past week were $50 a flat. That beats the Wally World four-box "value packs" by about 75 a box.

68wj
September 15, 2011, 08:30 AM
The 2 Dicks around here seem to care more about selling to soccer moms than anything hunting/shooting.

CraigC
September 15, 2011, 08:44 AM
Around here they have a good selection of guns for the type of store they are. They also get some retailer specials unavailable anywhere else. No reloading supplies but definitely better stocked than Walmart and I don't feel like I'm selling my soul to the devil buying from them.

I don't think any of them sell handguns.

MtnCreek
September 15, 2011, 09:06 AM
There are two around here that I've shopped at, Newnan and Kennesaw. The one in Kennesaw was a great store until it was bought by Dicks; it had a great selection of nice Beretta and Browning O/U shotguns. Now it has a small selection of mostly low end junk. I bought a cheap Savage rifle from the Newnan store a few years ago because someone had given me a gift certificate and it was an all around bad experience. Customer service and product knowledge reminded me of Wal-Mart.

natgas
September 15, 2011, 11:40 AM
I remember hearing a few years ago that Dick's was very 'anti-gun' and refused to carry handguns.

Not sure at all if it's true since the closest one to here is Dallas

Obsidian
September 15, 2011, 11:52 AM
Dick's in Green Bay, WI carries long guns (no handguns)
And ammo ( no reloading supplies)

Hondo60 nailed it. And they have a terrible ammo selection to boot.

Dick's Sporting Goods is really a Soccer Mom Store or a Athletic sports store. Go see their football gear, Soccer gear, Baseball/softball gear, not to see firearms. As a few have stated you can catch some hunting equipment after season for good prices though. It just is not a store I would go to for firearms or ammunition.

MtnCreek
September 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't care for Dicks Sporting Goods, but all this soccer mom talk makes me want to go shopping there.

popper
September 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
Dallas stores are for soccer moms, and they aren't that good looking. They are 'anti' a lot of things. About got hit over the head with a 336 when the wife found out I got it there. Good competition to keep Academy prices down. Once in a while you can find a good sale price.

BigN
September 15, 2011, 12:53 PM
Upstate NY Dicks used to carry reloading supplies in quantity but not anymore. They still have rifles, shotguns and handguns though. As others here have said, it's getting more upscale and yuppieish and the firearms dept seems to have taken a back seat to this. I don't go there anymore. Prices are very high also, unless there is a specific sale on something.

cougar1717
September 15, 2011, 01:31 PM
Very similar to Sports Authority chain stores. We have several of both in STL. As others have said, very heavy on clothing, shoe, golf, and sports equipment (baseball, basketball, weightlifting, etc). Low end to midrange rifles and shotguns (no handguns). Ammo prices more expensive than WM. Ammo selection better than WM but less than the big box outdoor store. Scattered deals throughout the year, usually depending on individual store's inventory.

FastMarsupial
September 16, 2011, 05:53 PM
It seems to me that everything you need to know about the company is in their name. They are a glorified sports equipment store, not a sporting goods store. Also, my experience is that they are unclear on how a Form 4473 is to be filled out, and are adverse to being educated on the subject. I don't even bother going there anymore.

Or to elaborate, they had ME fill in information in the section of the 4473 reserved for the seller. When I told them that it wasn't Kosher, they told me I'd fill out the form their way, or I could forget the purchase. While discussing this matter with the department manager I listened to a clerk TELLING a young man who looked like a hoodlum how to answer the questions "correctly" on his 4473 while the buyer's hood friends stood around talking trash. I was so disgusted that I told the clerk who walked me to the front that I almost felt inclined to report the BS going on there. His only response was, "I wish you would."

Now I stay away from Dick's.

scrat
September 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
the ones in California SUCK. they might as well just close down. All they carry is clothes, shoes a lot of golf and fitness type of activity. NO fishing, No guns no ammo nothing with shootin. nope nada zilch zip. Wont ever go in one again. nothing i will ever need will come from there

stonecoldy
September 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
10 years ago the rifle/shotgun selection was much better (higher end stuff), now seems to be full of budget priced firearms. Factory ammo prices seem to be nothing special. Zero reloading supply offerings.
Fishing equipment is as poor also. The only item I bought recently was a reasonably priced ladder stand to put on a hunting lease. This is true of all stores around Cincinnati, Ohio.

j2crows
September 17, 2011, 12:06 PM
Ahhhhhh, nuts!!

dragon813gt
September 17, 2011, 01:19 PM
Dicks is worth it for black friday sales. It's always buy one get one half off for ammo with a 6 box limit per transaction. But you can keep going back and getting more. Since their prices are in line with wal-mart and I am very rarely able to beat their prices online it's a good deal.

The ones in south east PA are odd. There are a bunch of them and they all seem to cater to one particular section. One will have a large hunting section, another a lot of camping gear and one has an extremely large shoe section. Their gun catalog is fairly deep and the prices are in line with other large retailers. You just won't be able to handle it before you buy because they stock very basic firearms. I only ever buy when items are on sale. Their sales are in a rotation as well. If you miss it you will be able to pick it up a few weeks later when the sale rolls around again.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

243winxb
September 17, 2011, 03:51 PM
ATF lists Licensed Dealers for everyone to see. http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html If the have an FFL, i would guess they sell guns.

Justin Holder
September 17, 2011, 05:18 PM
The impression I got from the one in Austin TX was like a "watered down Academy" (although their camping department was a little better).

You could also call it a "miniature Oshman's".

357Shooter
September 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
"DICKS" says it all

Ky Larry
September 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
The 2 stores here in Lexington sell a few low and midrange long guns.No reloading stuff.The only thing I buy from them is CCI Standard Velocity .22lr ammo as this is our only local source for this ammo.

FROGO207
September 18, 2011, 06:44 AM
I have purchased a couple of safes when on sale there in the past. Also .22 ammo when it is on sale. Otherwise it is not worth the trip--ammo and long guns only and the prices are not that great either. I travel to Cabellas or LL Bean for the serious stuff locally but bulk mail order still wins for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dick's sporting goods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!