RCBS Turret Headbolt Problem

PDA

Historian
September 14, 2011, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know of a way to keep the turret headbolt from backing out as I move the turret head back and forth between stations? As I move the turret from decap/sizing to charging to seating and then back, the bolt gets loose and the turret head develops more and more play. Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks.

Historian

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS Turret Headbolt Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ranger335v
September 14, 2011, 09:11 PM
You might do what I did with my turret, wrench lock it down so it can't move and use the press as an expensive, funny looking single stage.

steve4102
September 14, 2011, 11:28 PM
I crank mine down tight with a socket wrench, the turret rotates just fine and the bolt cannot come loose without a wrench. If you cannot wrench it down and still rotate it, call RCBS, either the washer is oversized or the head is out of spec.

Jesse Heywood
September 14, 2011, 11:55 PM
I usually tighten mine with a combination wrench using the press handle as a lever against it. On one of my heads that is too tight, so I back off some. Another I use an arbor shim to take up the slack. Also lube the bolt shaft, washer and head with some white lithium grease, just not on the threads.

fguffey
September 15, 2011, 03:36 PM
Turrets that rotate or shell holders holders that rotate on a progressive press? Nothing aggravates me, I have a Herters with a turret, it locks down with a large bolt through the center of the turret,if it is loose enough to rotate while rotating the turret, the reloader is just wasting their time, the bolt must be tight.

On a progressive press, if the bolt is backing out when backing the shell plate up or getting tighter going forward I would drilltap the ram for a set screw.

F. Guffey

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS Turret Headbolt Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!