Lookin' for a project

PDA

GuidoTorpedo
September 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
I've got the hobby bug and I'm looking for a project. I have zero gunsmithing experience but I wanted to give it a shot.

I'm not looking to do anything drastic. I would like to purchase something inexpensive and preferably with a rough finish. Though I want the parts to be in good mechanical order.

I basically want to have an inexpensive pistol. Completely disassemble it refinish it, and maybe add some non-stock parts.

My gut instinct is to get a CZ82 but am turned off by the fact that even though the examples are getting rougher, the price seems to stay the same if not go up. I like the fact that they seem pretty easy to disassemble and that Mepro makes night sights for it. Also that you can get nice wood grips for it.

Anything else I should be looking into? Revolvers are NOT excluded but from what I understand, they are typically hand fitted from the factory so that may be out of my league if thats required.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lookin' for a project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spelsh
September 14, 2011, 09:35 PM
1911?

MICHAEL T
September 15, 2011, 12:48 AM
If you want to try a 1911 Buy a worn out Llama, Full size or Commander size. The insides are same as 1911 so you can ruin one of those a lot cheaper. And gather some 1911 experience .

WinThePennant
September 15, 2011, 01:09 AM
I started a thread on this a few days ago.

But a brand spanking new Glock lower, and install after-market parts. You'll have a 100% customized Glock. There are all kinds of options available for Glocks.

OARNGESI
September 15, 2011, 09:33 PM
Id suggest a sks or ruger 10/22 both guns are easy to work with fairly cheap many simple available bods and enjoyable and cheap to shoot when done

Exeter
September 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
A Makarov won't cost you much and is easy to work on. Makes a nice little carry gun, too.

towboat_er
September 15, 2011, 10:10 PM
CZ82 is a great choice. See if ya can blue it.

GCBurner
September 15, 2011, 11:06 PM
One of the local pawn shops has a case full of sad, abandoned old pistols, looking for someone to adopt them, take them home, and give them some TLC, and some CLP, too. :D
There is a beat up Colt .32 automatic in there, a 1903 model, I think, that's missing its grips, and looks like it was dragged behind a pickup truck. If parts were more plentiful, and my metalworking and bluing skills were better, I'd be tempted to offer a few dollars for it; it's completely out of the question in its current condition at the $189 they're asking for it.

Shadow 7D
September 16, 2011, 01:13 AM
OMG, seriously
A CZ82, buddy have you done ANY research
see it's a great gun
simple to use, field strip etc.
and CZ-USA offers a $70 bag gun special, you send your now in pieces CZ-82 to them, and for the small consideration of $70 (plus missing parts) they will put it back together for you.

I would got for something inexpensive you want to do, like a 1903, but realize anything you do at home won't have the same value as a pristine example. So what I'm saying, save the learning attempts to something with out historic or collectors value.

Dr.Rob
September 16, 2011, 02:54 AM
Start small.

Find a beat up pocket gun and try a refinish at home before jumping into a big project with a 'real' firearm.

USAF_Vet
September 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
Buy a black powder kit. Not very expensive, you really get to know the fit and finish of a gun you fit and finish and assemble.

Dr.Rob
September 16, 2011, 05:59 PM
That's actually a VERY good idea USAF Vet.

19&41
September 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
Either a black powder kit, or one that someone else had and didn't finish so well. Either one can result in a nice shooter, or if worse comes to worse, you have a nice unit to grace the wall.

MachIVshooter
September 16, 2011, 11:45 PM
Anything else I should be looking into? Revolvers are NOT excluded but from what I understand, they are typically hand fitted from the factory so that may be out of my league if thats required.

There's a lot of hand fitting with automatics, too.

I'd just see what turns up on the used shelves, or go with USAF_Vet's idea

If you enjoyed reading about "Lookin' for a project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!