New Grips for My 8 3/8" M-29-3

PDA

Nevertoomanyguns
September 16, 2011, 02:23 PM
Don't know if your remember my post a few weeks ago? I had just bought a S&W M29-3 with a 8 3/8" barrel. I've been shooting it a lot and I'm very happy with my new revolver!

However, I was not very fond of the factory stock grips, they felt a little too fat for my taste, even with my large hands. So I shopped around a little bit and settled on some super walnut Altamont finger groove grips. They just showed up and I just installed them. WoW! is all I can say. They feel great and I think they make her look fabulous!:D:cool: This is going to be a hunting gun but I just couldn't stomach putting rubber grips on her, even though I have them on my 686 and I like them for their practical qualities. Just couldn't do it with a blued gun though!

So I'm off to go try them out, we'll see how they perform? I think there might be a little more felt recoil being that the back strap is a lot thinner, but maybe not. I'm not too recoil sensitive anyways.

Sorry I'm not good at the gun **** pics but here is a before and after:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3824/1001412e.jpg

after;

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/760/1001429co.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/264/1001430h.jpg

What do all think?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Grips for My 8 3/8" M-29-3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nevertoomanyguns
September 16, 2011, 06:07 PM
Well I've already shot 30 rounds with the new grips and I have to say that I like them. They actually handle the recoil better than the factory fat target grips! They are keepers!

RDCL
September 17, 2011, 11:12 AM
Those are very nice. I'd like to get something like that for my 29-2.
One thing though......

Do these have the metal reinforcement button (don't know what ELSE it is called).......inside like the factory grips do? You know what I mean I'm sure, that metal disc inside each grip panel that "locks" into the circular cut-out in the revolvers upper frame.....

I ask this because about 25 years ago I bought some after market "finger-groove" grips for one of my model 29's and although the grips looked and felt really nice......they had NO metal insert inside of them and after many hundreds of rounds the heavy recoil started to distort the rather soft wood inside and the grips would shift out of proper alignment on the frame. I admit they were rather cheap.....even 25 years ago....about 20 bucks. It got to the point where the grips would shift after the first round so I threw them in the trash and vowed to never again buy after market grips without the metal insert for use on a magnum revolver again. Hopefully, yours have the metal inserts inside.

Anyway, again.....very beautiful grips! I like!!

Russ

Nevertoomanyguns
September 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
Yes they have the metal reinforcement buttons inside. I know what you are talking about and they are there. These grips were put together well very smooth where the two panels come together and are fitted to the gun better than the originals!

If you enjoyed reading about "New Grips for My 8 3/8" M-29-3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!