I finally got to shoot it!

PDA

grubbylabs
September 16, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have had my 300 win mag for almost a year now and finally got a scope for it so I cold shoot it.

I loaded up some 165 grain Hornady SST's over some IMR 7828SSC at 67.8 and 68 grains. Both loads shot great, bullet holes touching great.

So my question is, should I just stick with the load, or should I continue to work up to a higher charge?

If you enjoyed reading about "I finally got to shoot it!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hondo 60
September 16, 2011, 09:10 PM
So my question is, should I just stick with the load, or should I continue to work up to a higher charge?

You didn't say how small your group is.
(ya, I know, 5 shots, one ragged hole - at 500 yards no less) :rolleyes:

If you like the accuracy of your load - stick with it.

If it needs improvement, well, you know what to do. :D

grubbylabs
September 16, 2011, 11:38 PM
2 of 3 were touching at 100 yards.

Eb1
September 18, 2011, 12:34 AM
How far off was the one not touching? Is it for hunting or wining matches?

I just tested some of my .25-06 loads, and they were all the same except for the primers, and if I hadn't seen it myself. I would have never have guessed that the primer made that much difference in accuracy.

After loading for a few years now I never tested loads this way, and I have changed my testing methods.

I will from now on load the powder charge that I want to start with, but will try at least 3 different primers, and then shoot the standard 5 shot string letting the barrel cool completely of course. I learned so much from having my Chrony and loading this way. The primer was the tell all of accuracy for my testing. I will post the URL to the thread so you can see the difference. Just a sec. I will edit this post.

Here is the link.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7575909&postcount=37

As you will see. The groups tell the story. The primer made all the difference in the world, and the on that was low right using the WLR primer was called, or it would have been in the group with the other 4 shots.

gamestalker
September 18, 2011, 03:57 AM
If your anything like me in that respect, you'll want to experiement with another slow or slower burning powder. I would give RL25 a try. A stout charge of RL25 with that perfect weight bullet(in my opinion it's a perfect bullet weight), you should see some significant increase in velocity while maintaining the desired accuracy your achieving. I'm big on light to mid weight bullets and slow burning powders becuase they have consistently produced the best of both worlds.
In the 3 + decades I've been reloading I've decided to have my cake and eat it too! Besides, playing around with our loads gives us more time to enjoy this wonderful hobby of our's.
This brings to mind a statement my wife of 30 years made a couple of weeks ago. She asked me why I keep buying reloading components, considering I have hundreds of rounds of every caliber stock piled. So now I my excuse to go shooting more often will justify my need for more powder, primers, and bullets.

NCsmitty
September 18, 2011, 05:07 PM
IMR7828 is often a good powder for the 300 Win Mag, and www.hodgdon.com is showing 74gr of IMR7828 as the starting load with a 165gr bullet. If you are satisfied with your present load, that's fine, but realize that you are shooting closer to 300 Savage velocities, I'm guessing.

NCSmitty

grubbylabs
September 19, 2011, 12:08 AM
IMR7828 is often a good powder for the 300 Win Mag, and www.hodgdon.com is showing 74gr of IMR7828 as the starting load with a 165gr bullet.

That is indeed interesting since Hornady lists 67.8 as starting.

The Hornady book says that with that charge it should be about 2,600 - 2,700fps. So yes it is quite slow right now, my 308 chronographed at 2,600fps. After hunting season I may play with it some more and possibly even try some Inter bonds or GMXs'.

If you enjoyed reading about "I finally got to shoot it!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!