Yugo M57 Failure to Feed

PDA

Ascot500
September 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
Recently acquired so have only shot a few times.
Ran 50 rds. today. (some kind of surplus stuff)
This time had about 30% FTF.
All it took was a nudge to the slide to resume.
Also it seemed to happen mostly on rounds two and three.
Does this indicate a weak recoil spring, and if so, how do I "de-captivate" the spring?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo M57 Failure to Feed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vellocet
September 17, 2011, 02:33 AM
Welcome to the "yugo what is wrong" club. You will find alot of information on this site. Try removing the safety, not difficult, other members will contribute, and see if it works o.k.then. If not, you will still get more information about what might be wrong with your pistol than anyplace else. Most problems with 57s happen,for one reason or another, when they drill in those safetys. good luck.

Danb1215
September 17, 2011, 03:01 AM
Drill in?

Snowdog
September 17, 2011, 04:08 AM
I'm just going to throw this out there... have you thoroughly degreased the pistol?

Was the ammunition Romanian or Polish by any chance? If so, did you notice any split cases? I have read (but not experienced) some folks that mention feed issue with surplus ammunition that have split cases. Some posted that some of these rounds required some form of assistance to feed due to a neck that's slightly larger in diameter.

Personally, I have fired Romanian surplus ammunition from both of my M57s and never experienced any problems despite 20% of them or better having split cases around the neck area.

WardenWolf
September 17, 2011, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure how to get the spring off the M57, but you can probably substitute standard Tokarev parts there if you can't get it apart.

harmon rabb
September 17, 2011, 10:25 AM
huh? my m57 doesnt have a captive recoil spring.

Ascot500
September 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I am getting a lot of split necks.
I have two kinds of surplus ammo - maybe the other kind will work better.
I have (I think) thoroughly de-greased, but maybe its time to use a full immersion technique.

vellocet
September 17, 2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, danb1215, they drill a hole on the back of the pistol to install the import-legal safety. A neat little conversion if they do it right. If they don't it causes all sorts of weird problems, failure to feed, fire, funny trigger pull. Alot of people just remove them. Ascot500, the recoil spring just slips off and I think they are the same on all toks. I doubt your ammo is to blame. Good luck.

Scimmia
September 17, 2011, 04:34 PM
The M57s use a captive recoil spring, it does not "just slip off" like all of the other Tokarev models. If yours doesn't have it, it was probably replaced at some pont. I can't see a good way of getting the guide rod apart, so it may be easiest to replace it with the standard guide rod and plug.

Also, only some of the safetys were added for import, they were added to the regular production of the M57 at some point. Even when they were added, it was done at that Zastava factory and are far, far better than the crap added to the other import models.

harmon rabb
September 17, 2011, 04:40 PM
The M57s use a captive recoil spring, it does not "just slip off" like all of the other Tokarev models. If yours doesn't have it, it was probably replaced at some pont. I can't see a good way of getting the guide rod apart, so it may be easiest to replace it with the standard guide rod and plug.

Also, only some of the safetys were added for import, they were added to the regular production of the M57 at some point. Even when they were added, it was done at that Zastava factory and are far, far better than the crap added to the other import models.
Hah, learn something new every day. My M57 has a standard guide rod and plug.

sho'nuff
September 17, 2011, 05:49 PM
Try a box of new, non-surplus ammo. Issues you are describing sound like its the old ammo. s&b makes some ammo that cycles pretty well. I also removed the safety because it was causing the magazine safety to engage somehow but I am not sure it will fix your issue. Good luck

Ascot500
September 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Well after cleaning it I tried it today and with either ammo, function was 100%.

Perhaps the gun knew I was talking about it.

Snowdog
September 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
Great to hear! The M57 is a heck of a fun pistol to shoot.
Paper cups filled with water make for wonderful (and inexpensive) reactive targets with the 7.62x25's screaming velocity.

WardenWolf
September 18, 2011, 01:54 AM
I feed my Romanian Tokarev Sellier & Bellot and PRVI Partizan, and also the Wolf hollowpoints. Eats it just fine. Never a malfunction. For the record, there is NO recoil difference between the Wolf hollowpoints and S&B or PRVI Partizan. I stacked a mag just for range testing purposes, and I couldn't perceive any difference. I've refitted my Romanian Tokarev with a new chrome-lined barrel and a compensator in exactly the fashion described by Retro in this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=424425

I was fortunate, though, that my gunsmith was able to easily press the link pin out.

vellocet
September 18, 2011, 02:07 PM
Glad to see you're back up with so little trouble. Just to mention, the polish ammo that j+g sales has now seems to cycle well thru all three of my toks, and at 12 for 70 is only priced crazy, not silly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo M57 Failure to Feed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!