Do most people not wipe off thier ammo or the inside of the chamber before shooting?

PDA

gamestalker
September 16, 2011, 10:12 PM
I ordered some brass and it arrived today, but what I got was really badly pitted stuff. No doubt about it having been once fired, all is good there. But it looks like the chamber it was fired out of was made of granite. I buy once fired brass for the most part, so I really can't complain about what I get since I'm cheap. But looking at the brass, and like almost every piece, appears as if the person who shot it didn't ever clean their firearm or they stored the ammunition in a sand box, very possibly both! When I eject a round from my firearm, the brass comes out looking normal, as in no sign of grit or other debrie is on the casing. Even though I'm really temparmental about keeping my ammunition and firearms clean, I would think the average shooter would at least pay some attention to what they are chambering, and how it effects the preservation of their firearms? I would hate to see the chamber of the firearm this stuff came out of. But I guess that's why I get years of service and thousands of rounds from my firearms before they are rebarreled.
I'm sure most of the defects will smooth out a bunch after the first fire form cycle. But it will no doubt take a serious load with some serious pressures to fix the surfaces. But that's all part of the fun too, isn't it?
I remember when I worked in the retail segment of reloading and firearm sales, and at what I used to see coming through the door. I recall this one fellow who frequented the store came in one day to see the smith. His problem was the bolt wouldn't open on his Rem. 700. One quick glance and it was almost impossible to hold back the gasp. Our smith did get it open fairly quick, but what he found was astonishing to say the least. There was a massive build up of rust, and what looked like caked mud around the lugs and every where else it could go. Come to find out, when he was asked what he uses to clean it, his response was, oh, I don't really worry too much about that. But I think most of this problem is form the time I dropped it in the mud last hunting season, it never felt right after that, and it was really hard to get the bolt closed when I racked one in. And his comment of "they sure don't make em very durable any more". I'm surprised the thing didn't go KB on him. The smith actually had to take the action out of the stock, and then wash it out at the car wash with a high pressure spray. He disassembled the bolt and it was gunked with sand and silt also. The trigger was no better off and had to be thouroughly washed out also. And the condition of the expensive Leupold was no better. It looked like he used sand paper to clean the glass off.
The damage could have been adverted if he would have just cleaned it after it went in the mud, instead he threw it in the gun case as is for 12 months.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do most people not wipe off thier ammo or the inside of the chamber before shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleSawbuck
September 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'd say there are a lot of people out there who just don't understand the necessity of keeping their firearms clean. Last hunting season I lost my footing it about 16" of snow and fell down rifle and all. That was the first time the rifle had hit the ground in the 15 years I've been hunting. I'm sure I scared all the deer in the area away as I tried to dry off everything the best I could in the woods with a bandanna, and you can believe hat rifle was stripped down and cleaned as soon as it got home. My brother and I still hunt small game with my grandfather's old LC SxS's and while they may have scars and nicks from going through the brush the actions and bores still look brand new. A guy at work has been shooting and carrying his SR9c for about a year, yesterday he asked me about cleaning kits. He hasn't cleaned that gun in a YEAR. I went shooting with a different friend of mine who was working armed security at the time, his service revolver was so dirty you had to slam it against the bench to clear it, turns out he's never cleaned it at all, and that's the gun that's supposed to protect his life? If you don't take care of what you own, that goes for not just guns but everything, it won't last for long. I want my guns to be able to outlast me and my future children so I'll scrub the rifling out before I let them pit.

RandyP
September 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
Apologies to the OP cuz I'm a tired old fart - LOL -

but crikey! Short paragraphs are your friend my friend. Maybe it's just my tired old eyes but long paras and a computer screen are NOT a good match for easy reading.

SlamFire1
September 17, 2011, 10:52 AM
Slovenly people are a menace. I know one, his attitude towards car maintenance is just wait till it breaks, because “it costs less”. God help you if you ever buy a used car from one of these types.

Mike1234567
September 17, 2011, 11:15 AM
Wiping off ammo... I just do a cursory check via a quick tactile check and watching as I load. If I were to find any ammo to have outer contaminants then I'd clean the entire lot and send a scathing email to the manufacturer.

Cleaning chambers... I don't always immediately clean my firearms after shooting but they're stored in a climate controlled environment. If I suspected any dirt/grit was present they'd be cleaned before shooting and, if any moisture, cleaned ASAP.

GaryL
September 17, 2011, 11:33 AM
I agree with Randy. Many times I will skip a post for just that reason.

Mike1234567
September 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
(rewrite of OP)

I bought some once-fired brass but it's badly pitted. It does look once-fired but it appears as if the person who shot it never cleaned their firearm or they stored the ammunition in a sand box!!

Anyone else have this experience?

----------------------------------------------------

Just jumping on the bandwagon of "less is more". Please don't be offended. :)

gamestalker
September 18, 2011, 04:31 AM
Sorry guys, I tend to get long winded form time to time. But I do try to use some thought that will shorten the paragraphes.

snuffy
September 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
Gamestalker/doublesawbuck, you both have the problem of lacking breaks called paragraphs to make it easy to read your posts. It's real easy to do, simply hit enter

twice

after

writing

each

complete

thought!

As for the pitted brass, it may have laid on a range in sand country, been walked on, or left where the wind could have abraded it. I can't imagine a chamber that dirty would still allow the firearm to function.

If the chamber actually had sand in it, then was fired, that chamber is trashed. If the barrel was sandy, the rifling is badly damaged as well.

Rule3
September 18, 2011, 01:25 PM
I thought it was nice short story.:)

But if someone sold me crummy brass like you received I would ask for my money back. "Once fired" should look like new, not pitted and look like it was through the war. Fire some new ammo of your own, what does it look like????

Walkalong
September 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
I didn't read it, for all the reasons stated, but checked out the reply posts.

Wiping off ammo... Seriously? My ammo is clean when I make it, and I do not roll it around in the dirt afterwards. ;)

Cleaning chambers... Of course, but not every time. I do not put dirty ammo in my guns, nor do I throw them down in dirt.

Running a 3 gun? You betcha, I would clean everything quite well.

"Pitted" brass? Brass corrodes, and that would take chemicals. Leaving too much cleaner in the chamber? Maybe after cleaning you need a bore mop with something like lighter fluid or carb cleaner on it to remove cleaning chemicals. Do you use a bore guide? This would minimize leaving cleaning chemicals in the chamber.

gamestalker
September 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
No Walkalong, it wasn't that kind of pitting. It had the appearance of consistency in it's location. Actually as if the chamber was in bad condition. There was nothing random about the location and appearance of the pitting.

jcwit
September 19, 2011, 05:16 PM
I've seen pitted brass from being stepped on before being picked up. It still polishes up fine. After it shot again and tumbled you'll never know it.

scythefwd
September 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
My .308 has been to the range twice without me cleaning it. I run a patch or two through it till they come out clean and leave it be... no bore brush. Then again, my ammo is store in the factory boxes I have saved and they are clean when I load them. Unless I'm not sealing my chamber well enough, there will be little enough residue to clean every few range trips. If you look down my bore... bright, shiney, no dark spots, very sharp rifling, it's clean.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do most people not wipe off thier ammo or the inside of the chamber before shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!