Speed of .40 Berry bullet and AA#5?

PDA

edfardos
September 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
My buddy's chrony has been shot one too many times, so I don't know the velocity of this load:

40S&W Ruger P944
180gr berry bullet (same as Rainer or X-treme, plated bullets)
6.5grains of AA#5

I've read all the reloading data, which, of course is wildly conflicting on both measured pressures and muzzle velocities, which is why I'm asking for your empirical evidence. It's an accurate load, and knocks my Ruger P944's slide all the way back, but not so much that it flips up the handgun. I'm secretly hoping it's close to 900fps.

thanks for any info!
-edfardos

If you enjoyed reading about "Speed of .40 Berry bullet and AA#5?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rsrocket1
September 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
Assuming you have a 4.0" barrel and you seat the bullet to an OAL of 1.135" (that's what I seat my Extreme plated and Bear Creek 180g RNFP's), you will get about 875 fps at the muzzle. You will get higher speeds in a hotter environment or if your lot of powder is a little more energetic. Not quite the 900 you want, but unless you are shooting competitively, no one will care except someone with a chrony (and you can take care of that pretty easily, lol).

BTW, I load 5.0g Unique and I average right at 900 fps. I've loaded and shot a bunch at 5.6g for 1000 fps and really don't notice much difference in recoil, muzzle jump or accuracy in my M&P 40 so I simply stay with 5 grains of Unique. No need to go higher than needed to keep in good practice and improve my shooting ability.

edfardos
September 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
thanks for the info! so did you chrony an AA#5 load with the xtreme 180fprn? 875fps is roughly the average of all the conflicting loading data I've read, so that certainly helps confirm my assumptions. fwiw, I seat to 1.125".

thanks again!
-edfardos

If you enjoyed reading about "Speed of .40 Berry bullet and AA#5?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!