Cabelas is selling 30 rd 10/22 mags....

PDA

ScottsGT
January 26, 2004, 10:52 AM
for $50 each. Advertised as prebans, new in wrap. SGN ad last month had them listed for $150 ea! :what: If I didn't already have two, I'd have to buy one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cabelas is selling 30 rd 10/22 mags...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
January 26, 2004, 11:34 AM
Why? These are PROBABLY the RamLine double-column mags. Always had a bad habit of jamming. Get a dozen or so Butler Creek Steel Lips magazines around September timeframe. They've been in production for the Canadian Market the whole time. They are 25rd single-column magazines. The 10 roudner versions I have are all 100% reliable which is much more than I can say for my pre-ban Ramlines.

Correction. I looked and they are the single-column 25 round Ramline. Still, Ramlines were easy to destroy with normal use. The lips were molded as part of the magazine assembly and were prone to chipping and wearing QUICKLY. For $50, I'd wait nine months and buy the Butler Creek's. Hard to wear out stainless steel feed lips.

RamLine:
http://a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/1339/6h/www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/64/11/i226411sq01.jpg
Ruger Factory:
http://a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/1339/6h/www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/01/27/80/p012780sq01.jpg
Butler Creek Steel Lips:
http://a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/1339/6h/www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/21/05/14/i210514sq02.jpg

pwrtool45
January 26, 2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the 30-round 10/22 Ramline mag I have isn't very reliable. The 30-round 10/22 Eagle mag has worked like a champ, though. I like their 10-rounders better than the factory mags, also.

dakotasin
January 26, 2004, 08:11 PM
i had a 25-round plastic mag... like the ram-line, but i think it was a butler creek... anyway, i got rid of it because it made the 10-22 too difficult to carry comfortably. never had any problems, just didn't like the mag sticking out the bottom.

nico
January 27, 2004, 01:52 AM
I'm glad I saw this thread. I was thinking about ordering one of the mags from cabelas. If you guys are looking for another place to get hi-cap mags, I found this (http://www.rugermags.com/) place a while ago. I'm not sure if the page is old or what, but it couldn't hurt to email them.
btw, does anybody know of another place to get 25+ round butler creek 10/22 mags?

MrPink
January 27, 2004, 08:19 AM
Nico,

That website is a Canadian based business supposedly selling postban mags with the LEO markings or date of production ground off (note caveat on the page). He's charging nearly preban prices for postban mags. Keep in mind for us US civilians owning such is a felony.

I'd either look for true prebans or better yet, wait until 9/04 and buy a cartload.

Nick1911
January 27, 2004, 09:55 AM
that's providing that the assult weapon ban isn't replaced...

And if it is (no! NO!), then i'm going to buy up pre-bans and spend the $, becasue the next assult weapons ban (AAGGHH) probably won't expire...
Nick

Poodleshooter
January 27, 2004, 04:36 PM
I hope someone makes 50rd steel lipped magazines if the ban expires. I'd actually not mind a fully stamped steel magazine. I've seen them available as custom items with modified mag wells, but never ones that were compatible with the stock Ruger wells.

greg531mi
January 29, 2004, 12:19 AM
Mitchell made the best mags for the 10/22, steel lipped and was a teardrop drum, was easy to load when you learned how to, the only drawback was the door latch that broked easily if you were not carefull. 50 rounds and with my gun, never had any malfunctions, unlike the ramline mags. Don't count on the ban being lifted, Bush said he would sign the bill to renew the ban, yea he is real pro-gun!!!

hksw
January 29, 2004, 12:41 PM
Hmmm. I'm not sure if it was a Mitchell or not but one of the mags a friend and I tried out (before the ban) was this teardrop shaped contraption. To load the thing, you had to remove the back and using a plastic tool that was stored in the middle of the large mag you had to crank the treadmill-like 'follower' that fed the rounds tp the top of the mag. Very slow reloading and the last 2-3 rounds always never made it to the top to be fed.

Of the Eagles, Ramlines, tear drops, Butler Creeks, and a few others, the Butler Creeks were the best for us. Still have a few. The Hot Lips have always worked for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cabelas is selling 30 rd 10/22 mags...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!