Picked up a cutie!

PDA

Moptop
September 18, 2011, 04:36 PM
I stopped by one of my local pawn shops a couple of weeks ago and they had an H&R 949 9 shot .22 revolver. Mechanically it looked like it had rarely been shot but the bluing has speckels and several holster wear spots. I had been looking for a .22 revolver, possibly a Single Six, but haven't seen anything affordable in decent shape. So I picked this one up worth the money and she shoots great, and it's double action to boot.

Just thought I'd show her off a little.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up a cutie!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Canuc Shooter
September 18, 2011, 05:02 PM
Looks to be in great shape. Wish my old H&R model 922 was in that good of condition. Enjoy it and shoot it often.

Remllez
September 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
Those H&R's are great holster and knock around guns that many of us used as first guns years ago. They are reliable have useable sights and decent single action pulls, the double action pulls were sometimes a little heavy but I was taught to shoot D/A on them so any other guns are gravy.

Parts are still available for many of the models, in fact I just ordered parts for a model 939 from Numrich last week. They hold up well to hard use and have taken many a bunny and squirrels for me. Enjoy your revolver and shoot it much!

Mike1234567
September 18, 2011, 06:13 PM
Very pretty!! Does she go bang every time you want her to?

Moptop
September 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
Yep! She's worked perfectly from the get-go. Can't ask for any more than that.

bannockburn
September 18, 2011, 11:16 PM
Moptop

Looks to be in great shape. Enjoy your new find.

I'm3rd
September 19, 2011, 01:50 AM
Long ago in a galaxy far away I foolishly traded off 2 like new H&R .22 revolvers as partial payment for a much more expensive but now long-forgotten gun that I thought I wanted more at the moment but soon got tired of. Now I would really like to have at least one of those old H&R revolvers back in my gun cabinet again. Down here in GA snake country there's nothin much better than a plain-Jane knock-around shootin iron like those old H&R .22s for carrying in the woods whether you're cutting firewood, drowning crickets in a fishing hole, or just bummin around in the woods. A .22 shot cartridge and a handgun to match will turn a rattler or copperhead into a snazzy hatband just about as well as anything you can shoot with one hand.

ExAgoradzo
September 19, 2011, 02:11 AM
I like yours better than mine from the looks of it alone. mine is an H&R Sportman 9 shooter. But what I like about mine is that I think it was a 'target gun' before there was a such thing. Not sure what year it is, it doesn't look cowboy like yours (I do have a Single Six)...but it is a fun gun that shoots well enough for me.
Congrats!

Moptop
September 19, 2011, 08:58 AM
ExAgoradzo, I would really like to have a sportsman as well. Does it have the vented rib barrel? Yes, they are target pistols. I like the top break style. My best bud has Schofield that is a top break and it shoots like a dream. I keep telling him that I would shoot it in any competition shoot.

franco45
September 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
Nice looking revolver. I have recently found a couple of H&R break tops in 22 lr and 32 short that are real sleepers. Well built little guns.

jamesjo
September 19, 2011, 12:38 PM
Moptop,
Looks like a pretty nice shooter to me!
Really can't go wrong with several H&R models, great revolvers!
Here's a pic of my 949.
Bought it LNIB about a year ago. Actually I can find no evidence of this one being fired.
The box is even like new!

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn17712.jpg

I have a few Sportsman pieces also, here's a couple pics.

4 1980 Sportsman. 2 4" barrels, 2 6" barrels.
1 of each is unfired, the other is a shooter.
All are wearing Jay Scott aftermarket grips

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/pearls003.jpg

1955 Sportsman, Blue

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16292.jpg

1955 Sportsman chrome

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16282.jpg

1939 model 777 Ultra Sportsman 1 of about 1000
Single action, factory competition revolver

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16302.jpg

Hunterdad
September 19, 2011, 01:50 PM
I had one in .22 magazine and it was awfully inaccurate. They are nice though.

Moptop
September 19, 2011, 09:27 PM
Wonderful collection you have there. I really like the aftermarket grips.
Funny thing, in crusing another pawn shop I found another H&R 949! This one is in better shape than the one I bought. Like the one you have, it doesn't look like it's been fired either. He has $169 on it. Dang, if only I hadn't bought that Phoenix HP22A over the weekend.

BTW, who jeweled the hammer on the 55 blue? Nice touch.

jamesjo
September 19, 2011, 10:26 PM
Moptop,
Thanks!
H&R jeweled the hammer! There were a few years in the 50's when they came from the factory, can't tell you the exact years...
My guess is, that the chrome 55 either had some work done to it when it was chromed, or hammer replaced, being the same year, that is my only guess why it isn't jeweled.
I've got a LOT of time online searching for those grips. I now have a few spare sets, I may put them on the 55's and see how they look.
I've got a couple more model 949's also, these are a little different though!
1967 Nebraska Centennial pieces
#'s 100, and 118 of 300 pieces, # 118 is my brother's

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16362-1.jpg

MedWheeler
September 19, 2011, 11:15 PM
I had one in .22 magazine and it was awfully inaccurate. They are nice though.

Hmm.. not familiar with that round.. :neener:

TennJed
September 19, 2011, 11:18 PM
My fathers first handgun was a 944 .22lr.....he bought it used when he got his first part time job.....he gave it to me a few years ago. Shoots great and is the one gun I could never get rid of

sixgunner455
September 20, 2011, 12:06 AM
That 949 looks just like the one my dad taught me how to shoot with years and years ago. It was his only pistol for decades. We'd go cut wood, and he'd be packing it. We'd travel cross-country, and he'd have it under the seat. We'd go hunting, and it was right there.

Fun little revolvers. Enjoy!

ExAgoradzo
September 20, 2011, 12:40 AM
Mine looks exactly like the 1955 Sportsman blue that Jamesjo posted above.

BTW: can anyone tell me what the 'trigger' behind the trigger is on this gun. It is exactly like the one above but the handle looks like the 1939 one above. There is a 'N271' stamped on the very bottom of the frame that is surrounded by the handle below the trigger guard.

Anyway, once again: you have a beautiful pistol there!

280shooter
September 20, 2011, 12:47 AM
Very sweet,,
My Dad had one of them, H/R 22s, his might have been a 9 shot,? is that right,,One of my brothers have it now..

jamesjo
September 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
Ex,
The "trigger" behind the trigger, is the single action sear.
H&R DA revolvers had 2 separate firing systems, 1 for single action, 1 for DA.
If something broke in one action, you could still shoot it in the other mode.
The sear is what makes the hammer drop when trigger hits it in SA mode.
Or something to that effect any way!

Ash_J_Williams
September 20, 2011, 01:06 PM
I've got an H&R like that, I'm looking to sell it.

jamesjo
September 20, 2011, 02:15 PM
Ash,
post some pics!

Ash_J_Williams
September 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
I'll have to take some. It's nickled, unlike the blued ones here.

Ash_J_Williams
September 20, 2011, 10:10 PM
Sorry for the crappy photoshop.

http://i.imgur.com/GHPAx.png

jamesjo
September 21, 2011, 12:30 AM
ash, What model is it? Model 923?

Ash_J_Williams
September 21, 2011, 01:24 AM
Yup.

jamesjo
September 21, 2011, 11:27 AM
Not really clear enough pics to know if I am interested,
How much are you asking?

Ash_J_Williams
September 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
All I have is a MacBook for photos, sorry. I'd like to get $150.

firemanstrickland
September 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
very nice. I must admit im jealous, lol.

jamesjo
September 21, 2011, 06:22 PM
Ash,
Not a model I am actively seeking for my collection.
A nickel 923 would be a nice mate to my blue 922 model, but I can't have them all!
From what I can tell by the pic though, you aren't really out of line on your price.
If you can get someone to take some good pics, I don't believe you would have too much trouble selling it on any of the online auctions.
Usually only a few dollars fee to sell something of that value.
Good luck!

Ash_J_Williams
September 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ash,
Not a model I am actively seeking for my collection.
A nickel 923 would be a nice mate to my blue 922 model, but I can't have them all!
From what I can tell by the pic though, you aren't really out of line on your price.
If you can get someone to take some good pics, I don't believe you would have too much trouble selling it on any of the online auctions.
Usually only a few dollars fee to sell something of that value.
Good luck!

Thanks for the input. The only issue with online auctions is how much people fear paying the shipping costs. I've gotten a lot of tire kickers on the few sites I've put it on, but no sales. My FFL said he'd do shipping, so it'd cost as much as it does from a normal FFL ($20ish?).

jamesjo
September 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
If you have an FFL willing to ship for you, you can use USPS priority mail, and ship anywhere for that much.
Depends on whether your FFL wants to charge you for his service.
I am lucky, my cousin is married to an FFL, my transfers are always free, and he only charges me the postal costs on the rare occasion I do need to ship a handgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up a cutie!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!