Thompson Center Encore

PDA

BigN
September 18, 2011, 07:04 PM
I was at the range this afternoon doing a bit of plinking and this guy came and began setting up next to me. I wasn't paying attention but when his gun went off, I just about jumped out of my skin. Loud! Upon further inspection, he was shooting a Thompson Center Encore, 15" barrel, in 308. Sounded like a Howitzer. He claims he can get another barrel in a different caliber for about $300. Seems like a cheap new gun to me. Anyone have one of these and if so, is this a feasible way to have many calibers for one receiver?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thompson Center Encore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AK_Maine_iac
September 18, 2011, 08:02 PM
Yup the T/C Encore's are very addictive. The caliber selection is almost endless.
If T/C does not have them. One can get a custom barrel made form many other sources. I have a few for my Encore (rifle) 416 Rig, 375H&H, 35Whelen, 30.06, 6.5x55, 45.70, 50 black powder, 223, my next is going to be a 25.06.

T Bran
September 18, 2011, 08:14 PM
BigN
I was thinking about the same thing yesterday after looking at some old threads ive decided to wait a while. Do a search on the gun there is a lot of material to read. Some good some less so. I have no first hand experience but it seems that a bunch of folks love them while others had accuracy and or headspace issues. How much is gun and how much is shooter you must judge for yourself.
Good luck
T

Legionnaire
September 18, 2011, 08:23 PM
Encores are fun. I have pistol barrels in .22LR, .223, .243, .308, and .44Mag. Most I picked up second hand or bargain "new old stock" sales; probably averaging about $200 each. Nice thing for those of us who like Encores is the sizable aftermarket for barrels.

garyr
September 18, 2011, 08:34 PM
I also enjoy my Encore. I currently only have two barrels for it, the 7mm rem mag and the .50 cal black powder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thompson Center Encore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!