What type of ammunition do you carry?

PDA

gamestalker
September 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
I personally carry a good expanding high velocity H.P for my S.D. round. And since I hand load I make it a maximum high velocity round. But I also realize the risk of a through and through penetration finding an innocent bystander before stopping.
This topic is no doubt a very controversial one and for obvious reasons, and with good arguement. For me, I don't want to find myself needing the penetration or the necessary stopping power against a 300 lb. intruder that could possibly shake off a low velocity round and may have to penetrate layer's of heavy clothing as well. And in todays world of drug crazed perpetrators being on the prowl, I prefer to not find myself being chased down by some crack head fueled perp that wasn't stopped by the limited performance of a reduced velocity round. This is no doubt a catch 2+2 as both sides of the issue are with good merit.
Some what unrelated, but still pertinent regarding stopping power is an incident I was exposed to first hand. In Flaggstaff, Az. in 1990 a bad guy came into the convenience store I was employed part time at. My neighbor who was as well employed there, was working my shift instead of me because I was hunting antelope. So in the early evening hours her husband was with her doing some maintenance and he was a very large framed man. A perp came in and shot him in the back of the head with a .357 mag. revolver, and because the ammunition this BG was using was a low velocity grade, the round simply bounced off leaving only a bleeding scalp wound. Thank God the BG didn't know what he put in his gun. But during his crime spree that began in California and ended in Northern Arizona, he did shoot and kill several other innocent store clerks.
This is just one example of why I think I need the good stuff in my side arm, in my opinion. What if the circumstances were reversed and the BG was unable to be stopped?

If you enjoyed reading about "What type of ammunition do you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
September 18, 2011, 09:10 PM
Since this is a hardware question and not really related to ST&T, I'm moving it to a more appropriate forum...

lpl

Rexster
September 19, 2011, 04:57 PM
I carry ammo that has performed well, over time, against a variety of human beings. In the SIGs I use for police duty and some concealed carry, .40 180-grain Gold Dots. In my larger .357 revolvers, I use any good brand of 125-grain JHP, and in my smaller .357 revolvers, I tend to use 145-grain Winchester Silvertips.

Not the latest-trendiest; I do not follow trends... I used a Federal 125-grain .357 Mag JHP to stop an incident in 1993, and that load was already well-proven back then.

Frank Ettin
September 19, 2011, 08:56 PM
Quality, commercial JHP ammunition that I have determine functions reliably in my guns(s). I've used, at one time or another, Federal Hydra-Shok, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber and Winchester PDX1.

snooperman
September 19, 2011, 10:22 PM
Colt magnum carry. In the Colt snub nose Agent I carry the Federal Nyclad JHP. I use these 2 revolvers alternately depending on how I am dressed during the winter and warmer months with IWB holster.

Valkman
September 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
I carry 230gr Win. Ranger T JHP in my .45's, which is all I carry. I haven't had to shoot anyone luckily, but I am confident in it's stopping abillty AND that it performes well in my guns.

gofastman
September 19, 2011, 11:39 PM
P32= Fiocchi ball
Taurus TCP= Swampfox 90gr XTP
Taurus 709= 147gr+P HST
Glock 20= Swampfox 180gr XTP
Taurus Raging Bull= haven't decided yet, probably Corbon DPX in .44spl, doubt I'll ever carry that as a CCW though.

Tallinar
September 19, 2011, 11:40 PM
At the moment, carrying 240gr SWC loaded to about 800 fps in .44 special. Still toying with loads.

MrBlonde
September 20, 2011, 01:06 AM
Winchester PDX in my Glock 23, thinking about getting the same for my SR9c or some Federal Hydra-Shock. I'm going to get both and see which one I like more.

303tom
September 20, 2011, 01:38 AM
I carry hollow points !!!!!

RightCoastBiased
September 20, 2011, 02:03 AM
In my LC9 and Sigma I carry Gold Dot 124 Grain JHP.

My duty gun is an MP 45 carrying Hornady 230 grain +p TAP.

AlexM
September 20, 2011, 02:06 AM
I've become a very good fan of the Hornady Critical Defense. I carry it in either 9mm or .380 ACP depending on the weapon I'm carrying. I chose this ammunition because it has never caused a jam or feeding problem and to date I've had a 100% successful rating of it always firing as well as it having the desired spread/mushroom effect on target that most JHP go for.

woad_yurt
September 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
I load my own .38 SPL. I use Speer's 148 gr. hollowbased wadcutters on top of 4 gr. of HP38/Win231. It's a fairly stout & nasty round and costs me something like $6.00 for 50 rounds. I get to practice with my carry load without spending a fortune.

pekosROB
September 20, 2011, 11:40 AM
Winchester silver tipped .45 ACP HP

oldbear
September 20, 2011, 06:21 PM
As I live in a townhome with a common wall, my home S/D revolvers are loaded with Remington .357 Magnum Golden Sabers. But my preferred load is a 158Gr. LSWC ahead of 14 grains of Herco. 2400, with a CCI primer.

lead slinger
September 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
hornady hydo shock 147g 9mm

MikeNice
September 20, 2011, 08:18 PM
For me, I don't want to find myself needing the penetration or the necessary stopping power against a 300 lb. intruder that could possibly shake off a low velocity round and may have to penetrate layer's of heavy clothing as well.

High velocity or low velocity a BG of any size might shake off a handgun round. If you don't destroy the heart, brain, or upper spinal cord there is no telling how long the fight will last. Barring a hit in one of those areas a stop is an eventuality and not an immediate event. If the stop is immediate, it was a psychological stop.

Clothing has a very small impact on bullet performance unless you are shooting through hard leathers or a motorcycle racing jacket. Otherwise the biggest problem is going to be a clog turning your HP in to a FMJ. In that case you are going to get plenty of penetration through the remaining layers.

And in todays world of drug crazed perpetrators being on the prowl, I prefer to not find myself being chased down by some crack head fueled perp that wasn't stopped by the limited performance of a reduced velocity round.

Look up the Officer Soulis incident. He scored 17 hits to the chest with a .40S&W loaded with Ranger SXT. The hit total was 22 before the guy stopped fighting back. In the toxicology report it stated there were only trace amounts of alcohol in the perp's system. You can also look up the Miami FBI shootout. Platt took a number of hits that should have stopped him, in theory. He kept fighting with several major wounds. His blood was 100% drug and alcohol free.

A perp came in and shot him in the back of the head with a .357 mag. revolver, and because the ammunition this BG was using was a low velocity grade, the round simply bounced off leaving only a bleeding scalp wound.

I have a friend that experienced something similar during a home invasion. Chances are your friend's wound had more to do with angle than with velocity. Even a 148gr .38spl wadcutter designed for target shooting will penetrate a skull. It doesn't get much lower on the velocity scale for ammo that fits a .357mag.

In my friend's case it did knock a chunk of bone out. (There was actually more damage done by the muzzle blast. He had scorched skin and hair.) The doctor said he had seen similar wounds with several different calibers. It was a matter of the angle at which the bullet struck.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. There is just another side to the thought process and I want to present it for everybody. What you do works for you and that is fine. I hope you never need to find out how well it works, or if it works "too well."

For me, I carry 147gr Winchester Ranger Bonded in my 9mm. I don't plan on one shot being enough. Since I can put rounds on target faster with a 9mm it is a better choice for me. The 147gr averages over 15.5" of penetration in clothing tests and expands to nearly .58" on average. To me that is plenty of performance when added in with the barrier pentration ability of the heavier bullet.

MICHAEL T
September 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
Corbon DPX in 45 and 380 158grLSWCHP +P in my 38spl 200gr Gold Dot in 44 spl

25 auto Ball

91 whiskey
September 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
I use Remington UHD 124gr in my 9 and MAC Razorback 230gr JHP in my 1911.

website for MAC Ammunition http://www.mac-ammo.com/main.sc

Pyro
September 20, 2011, 09:35 PM
.25 Glaser "Blue" Safety Slugs
.38 Special Magsafe "Defender"
.32 S&W-L Fiocchi LWC

2005 Vette
September 20, 2011, 09:55 PM
Corbon DPX in 9mm and 40 S&W. The Corbon in 40 is a hot round. A noticeable increase in recoil and it sounded like a desert eagle going off.

mdauben
September 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
I used to be very picky in my choices of SD ammo, but I believe that these days most of the premium SD rounds are fairly comparable so I'm a bit more flexible. Currently, I'm using the following SD rounds in my three SD handguns, but this could easily change if I found a good deal on something else:

.38 SPL - Federal 125gr Nyclad HP. Good street record and easy to shoot in an airweight snub.
9mm - Federal HST 124gr +P JHP. I only use 115 or 124gr +P in my 9mm handguns.
.45 ACP - Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP - For 45's I prefer a heavier bullet with good expansion.

WvHiker
September 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
I use 124grain Golden Sabres. They're available at a local store, which is why I started carrying them a year or so back. They've always fed well, so I stuck with them.

carbuncle
September 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
Right now it's 124 grain Gold dots in my 9mms, 135 grain Hydrashocks in my .40 PPS and whatever ball ammo I last shot with in my .380. The .380 I don't trust to take advantage of expanding SD ammo, I want to be assured of decent penetration (as much as I can, anyway) if I have to use the pocket gun.

HDCamel
September 24, 2011, 05:07 PM
Right now, I have the SAA loaded with hollow point semi-wadcutters, but I still haven't decided what I like the best.

The 1911 has 230gr Hydras.

dprice3844444
September 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
alternate,9mm black talon/hardball

Friendly, Don't Fire!
September 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have no hard & fast rules when it comes to defense loads. I figure whatever I happen to have in the gun at the time will be what I will use for defense, excluding any reloads (as I only use factory ammo for defense).

I may have round-nose hardball or I may have hollowpoints.

Tape
September 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
doubletaphttp://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/254/254129.jpg

BigN
September 24, 2011, 06:12 PM
I carry 240 sp in 44 mag for ornery 4-legged creatures up in the mountains that might be a bit too interested in what I'm doing when I'm hiking the back woods for trout.

shadow9
September 25, 2011, 04:03 AM
.40 S&W Steyr - Winch Ranger 135's SXTs (12/12)
.380 P232 - Speer Gold Dot 95gr. JHP. (7/7) Also have half a box of TulAmmo on deck, 91gr. FMJ (if I'm feeling penetrative that day), and the remainder of some Winch White box TMJ rounds that effed up the gun initially (probably using the bullet-puller on 'em and getting some powder to burn or do whatever with :P)

pisc1024
October 1, 2011, 12:16 AM
9mm speer gold dot 124gr +p

hatt
October 1, 2011, 02:38 AM
I prefer to not find myself being chased down by some crack head fueled perp that wasn't stopped by the limited performance of a reduced velocity round.
Velocity is not a reliable indicator of bullet performance.

But I do carry .357 Sig 125 grain Gold Dots @ 1375fps just in case it was to help. :evil:

roachcore
October 1, 2011, 02:40 AM
180g pdx1

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Dr.Rob
October 1, 2011, 03:08 AM
.380 90 gr Federal Hydra Shock
9mm 115gr Winchester Silvertip (running low on these I may change loads soon)
45ACP 230gr Federal Hydra Shock
.357: 125 gr Remington JSP
.44 Mag Prvi Partizan 300gr JSP

Jath
October 1, 2011, 03:09 AM
In Most of my guns I carry Hornady FTX. I find that the feeding reliability and accuracy of the round does really well in my smaller concealed carry guns. For my larger guns, I use Winchester Ranger T. I've seen some impressive results with that round, and its not that expensive.

stevelyn
October 1, 2011, 05:28 AM
Speer Gold Dots.

Steve H
October 1, 2011, 05:53 AM
In my "going to town" 45 Winchester Ranger 230's
in my "around the ranch" 357 +P .38 125 gr JHP mainly for snakes and coyotes that'a along with some 00 in the 870 while ridin around on the 4 wheeler

orionengnr
October 2, 2011, 12:31 AM
I carry JHPs that are proven to work in my chosen handgun.
Given my choice, I lean towards Cor-Bon DPX. Pricey, but proven.

orionengnr
October 2, 2011, 12:34 AM
25 Glaser "Blue" Safety Slugs
.38 Special Magsafe "Defender"
Do a search. The Glaser and MagSafe rounds are "gimmick" rounds...seriously over-priced and under-effective.

Bird shot is bird shot, no matter how cleverly packged. Penetration is minimal. This has been borne out in many tests and real-world shootings.

If you want to spend $3-5 per round on these rounds, God Bless you.
If you are going to depend upon these rounds to save your life...may God have mercy upon your eternal soul.

If you can find and post one LEA or any other serious entity that uses these gimmick rounds, please post it. Remember, we are dealing with agencies that are spending your money, and have no compunctions about doing so. If they really thought those rounds were magic, they'd be carrying them, and you'd be paying for them. :)

RNB65
October 2, 2011, 12:36 AM
Black Hills 124gn +P JHP 9mm

HGUNHNTR
October 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
Federal HST in the 9mm
Winchester SXT for the 380
55 grain Vmax for the AR

And yes we can legally conceal a rifle in Georgia. :)

October 4, 2011, 10:00 PM
9mm- Hornady 147 gr. XTP JHPs and Winchester M882 ball when traveling

.45 Auto- Hornady 230 gr. XTP +P JHPs and 230 gr. ball when traveling

gearchecker
October 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
My SD guns have either Speer Gold Dot or Hornaday Critical Defense.
Strictly factory ammo goes in my SD guns.

Springfield0612
October 5, 2011, 05:59 PM
Springfield XD .45 4"- Primary-Winchester Ranger T-Series 230 GR (Type this into Youtube, there is a guy who does expansion tests on almost all HP rounds these are insane)
Secondary- Federal Hydra-Shock 230 Gr.(Also impressive)
Third- Hornady XTP 230 Gr.
Lastly- If all else fails I have a back up of Winchester white box 230 Gr. JHP

Taurus PT709 Slim (Wife's gun)- Hornady Critical Defense 115 Gr. FTX (She likes the feel of the heavier recoil on the Hornady 124 gr. XTP, I told her to use up the 115's then she can start on my stash of the 124's!)

Hi-Point 995TS (Home Defense Gun)- Hornady XTP 124 Gr. (3-10 round mags 1-15 round mag, plus on the shelf next to the gun is an additional 55 rounds of just in case.)

daytodaze
October 5, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hornaday critical defense for my .40

Federal premium jhp for my 9mm

wlewisiii
October 5, 2011, 07:15 PM
158 gr. LSWCHP-GC +P Buffalo Bore in both my Model 10 & 642. 1200 fps from the first and 1000 fps from the latter.

duns
October 6, 2011, 02:15 AM
See the sticky on why you should not use handloads for defense.

Pyro
October 6, 2011, 08:22 PM
Do a search. The Glaser and MagSafe rounds are "gimmick" rounds...seriously over-priced and under-effective.

Bird shot is bird shot, no matter how cleverly packged. Penetration is minimal. This has been borne out in many tests and real-world shootings.

If you want to spend $3-5 per round on these rounds, God Bless you.
If you are going to depend upon these rounds to save your life...may God have mercy upon your eternal soul.

If you can find and post one LEA or any other serious entity that uses these gimmick rounds, please post it. Remember, we are dealing with agencies that are spending your money, and have no compunctions about doing so. If they really thought those rounds were magic, they'd be carrying them, and you'd be paying for them. :)
I just opened up those two guns to see what I have loaded.
.25 acp Winchester Expanding Points for the BUG and Buffalo Bore full wadcutters for the 38 Special pocket derringer (OUCH!).
The Winchester bullets have never expanded through clothing in my tests, I'd rather have a bullet that can deform than bounce off a bone though. The lead bullets seem fit the bore tighter too (rifling is worn out a little). Just a word of advice if anyone wants to buy a box, the majority of bullets had lousy crimps and could be twisted like bulk .22 bullets.
The BB wadcutters are simply wrecking balls.
I wouldn't call them "gimmick" rounds, they have their place.
I took out a raccoon in a cage after the city refused to take it off my uncle's property. He was concerned about damaging the cage on the other side of the raccoon (since the cage was the cities too). So I loaded by a Glaser Silver, pointed the derringer between the cage mesh and fired. No exit, got the raccoon and saved the cage.

Plus those bullets are fun to impress your friends with. Making a water jug volcano from your "puny" little derringer.

wrs840
October 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
In my larger .357 revolvers, I use any good brand of 125-grain JHP, and in my smaller .357 revolvers, I tend to use 145-grain Winchester Silvertips.

Re: the 145gr Silvertips, what constitutes a "smaller" .357? (Like maybe a 4" K-frame and down?) I just picked up some factory 145gr Silvertips thinking they may be gentle "enough" on the forcing cone on some "older" K frames (M19-3, M65-5) that I've acquired recently. Am I on the right track?

Brett Byers AKA Slow
October 7, 2011, 12:21 AM
wrs840
I have been shooting those Silvertips in my SP101 and they are real mellow compared to those Hornady 125's or Remington 125's IMHO. FYI the forcing cone of those K frames is the same thickness as a Ruger SP101.

Alex23
October 7, 2011, 02:58 AM
I shoot the pricey stuff by Winchester, Corbon, and Hornady. It's accurate enough and I've read 10,000 posts on the internet about how lethal it is. It's also kind of pretty...

Black G31
October 18, 2011, 10:26 AM
You shoot until the threat has stopped.....In certain cases you should learn to shoot on the move....

Drail
October 18, 2011, 10:29 AM
"pretty" is important.

Sulaco
October 18, 2011, 02:05 PM
I keep Gold Dot's (125gr) in my 357 Sig and XTP's (180gr) in my 10mm.

SharpsDressedMan
October 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
It is not the end all of 9mm's, but a good price for a small supply, and the need for some "non +P" 9mm has me packing some Speer Gold Dot 147gr HP's in my Browning Hi Powers (an early 1950's gun, and an alloy framed one), and a S&W 3914. My stronger 9mm's get some Winchester 127gr +P+.

tjbeck
October 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+

browncoatdawn
October 18, 2011, 08:07 PM
I am still looking for what to carry and how, as to my thread the other day, and thank you all for your replies. I am happy to hear that I am not alone in my particular interests and being disabled.

In my apartment, my XDm 40 is stoked with Federal, 135gr Hydra Shoks, in an efford to avoid any over penetration. It functions flawlessly and shoots a little high, but nothing concequential at that distance.

In the P-64, I run Hornady 95gr XTP. Never had a problem with it.

I am still looking for a better carry piece, so I am interested to know what others like in their 38 and 380 carry guns.

Revonoc6
October 30, 2011, 04:47 PM
I just picked up a box of Federal HST 230 grain JHP. I like it, seems to work well in my glock.

Deus Machina
October 31, 2011, 01:17 PM
My CZ PCR gets HST, in either 124gr +P or 147gr. I'm otherwise perfectly happy with Gold Dot or Win PDX/Ranger/Talon, and have carried 147gr Win. white-box JHP and 115gr Rem. budget stuff, as well as some odd Georgia Arms (Speer bullets, I think) 124gr.

I trust the best the most, but don't feel undergunned with any JHP that will cycle. I'm a fan of shot placement.

My 2.5" Taurus 85 just isn't fun to shoot, for me or the gun, with 125gr +P PDX, so I moved that out to plain old Winchester 125gr SJHP until I can find some 158gr SWCHP that isn't $40 a box. :cuss:

MikeNice
October 31, 2011, 04:44 PM
158gr+P SWCHP for 18.99 plus shipping.

SG Ammo Federal 158gr+P SWCHP LE (http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50rd-38-special-p-federal-le-158-grain-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point-ammo-38g)

Stevie-Ray
November 1, 2011, 02:59 PM
.45ACP.....230 gr HydraShok
9mm........124 gr HydraShok
10mm.......200 gr DT XTP
.32ACP......Geco ball

Inebriated
November 1, 2011, 03:05 PM
Federal 230gr HST. Maybe +P, maybe not. Just depends on what I've got at the time. Always HST, though.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
November 1, 2011, 05:52 PM
Old Charter 44 spl. 200 gr Buffalo Bore Wadcutters at 925 fps with 200 gr
Gold Dots for a reload.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/CopyofCharter44-horz.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What type of ammunition do you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!