Has anyone ever carried two full size pistols at once

PDA

MUSICALGUNNUT45
September 18, 2011, 08:38 PM
I was reading this gunblast.com aritcle and like the idea of carrying two guns in shoulder holsters if you often wear a jacket it might even be practical has anyone ever attempted this heres the link to the article.

http://www.gunblast.com/i_hate_glocks.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone ever carried two full size pistols at once" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ223
September 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
I carry a 1911 and two mags everyday and have been looking for a way to carry a second one comfortably. I will get a left handed holster as soon as the right one comes available. Another IWB is out of the question. A shoulder holster or even a double rig may be in the cards.

Mad Machinist
September 18, 2011, 09:02 PM
I carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig with a 2 mag pouch.....and another aluminum frame 1911 I built in a belt holster................shoulder rig on the left.....belt on the right

rcmodel
September 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
No, but I have carried a full-size pistol and an M-60 machinegun a lot of miles!

Seriously, shoulder holsters seem like a brilliant idea, and look awesome on the movie & TV detectives!
Until you try them for a while.

One guns weight digging into your shoulder & neck muscles all day is bad enough, let along two!

Not to mention the sweat sticking your shirt to you under the harness all the time you have it on.

rc

SharpsDressedMan
September 18, 2011, 11:05 PM
For a period of time, I was training myself to do two gun shooting, and have two double shoulder holster rigs. One is an Alessi Bodyguard for two 1911's, and the other is an Idaho Leather "Last Man Standing" rig, also for 1911's. They both carry the guns extrmently well, and nicely balanced, but the Alessi is more concealable, and thus infinitely more practical. There is no reason why a two gun shoulder rig would not serve well for the person who favors a "New York reload", or someone like a bodyguard, who might find themselves attacked by a greater number of people intent on harming their client, and wanted the added security of a second powerful gun that used the same ammo/magazines as their primary gun, in the event gun #1 jammed, was damaged, or got out of reach during the defense. I have always thought a double rig with two Glock 20's (16 rounds of 10mm each) and 4-6 extra mags would arm a bodyguard about as well as anything someone could throw at him.

TIMC
September 19, 2011, 12:03 AM
Come git some!
http://www.moviemarket.com/library/photos/281/281965.jpg

I think it would get very heavy very quickly.

pikid89
September 19, 2011, 12:34 AM
I'm still trying to make myself carry my LCP everywhere everyday...i don't think i could ever pack 2 full size guns all the time

Ringolevio
September 19, 2011, 01:30 AM
I have an old friend who's a local character down in Kennesaw, GA who carries two longslide 1911s Wild Bill Hickok style.

Kennesaw is of course the town where citizens are required by law to own guns (and also a place where the Rebs really put a whuppin' on the Yanks, and never let a D*** Yankee forget it).

Anybody from down that way probably knows who I'm talking about.

x_wrench
September 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
i tried it once. it was awfully heavy, and very uncomfortable to do. let alone drive with. i am sure someone has done it successfully, but it is to much of a pain, literally, for me to do. if i needed that much firepower just to walk or drive around town with. I WOULD MOVE!

The_Armed_Therapist
September 19, 2011, 08:06 AM
I don't see much point in carrying two full-sized pistols... One full-sized, dependable, double stacked should be fine with a smaller back-up... That's what I do. I carry a G22 (15 rounds) and a Kel-Tec P32 in the pocket. I don't highly recommend the P32, but for now that's what I have. I would think that a full-sized 10mm, .45, or .40 with a pocket 9mm or even .380 would be pretty darn good.

scaatylobo
September 19, 2011, 08:53 AM
MANY TIMES.

I was LEO and was threatened by drug gang [ notified by my agency ] and so I took 'precautions'.

I carried as many as 3 "fullsized" handguns.

The dept 9 MM,a Glock in .40 S&W [ model 23 ],and a S&W 442.

The 2 semi auto's were on the belt,strong side and cross draw.

The 442 was ankle.

On the seat was a 20 gauge w/ 18" barrel and pistol grip stock.

On back seat was AK-47 [ semi auto ] w/ 30 round stick mag.

Now retired,I still often carry 2,usually strong side and cross draw or second gun is pocket or shoulder holster..

I view a gun as a EXTREME tool,and those are needed ,and NEEDED at once.

So a NYC reload is my prefered manner of backup.

If using my primary and it 'goes down' I will most likely die if not prepared - ergo the 2 nd gun.

98C5
September 19, 2011, 08:58 AM
I agree with Freedom. I carry a Beretta 92 and if 17 rounds can get me out of the situation, I shouldn't have been there....

:D

armoredman
September 19, 2011, 09:42 AM
Yes.
I also had a co worker come to a former employment carrying 5 full size pistols and a slung AK style semi auto rifle concealed under a black leather trench coat. I made him leave most of the hardware in the vault that day.

CoRoMo
September 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
THR member, wyocarp, carries two 10mm Glocks.

Loosedhorse
September 19, 2011, 10:04 AM
Yes, exactly that: two matched 4-in barrel autos in a shoulder holster. Great in Fall and Spring, when jackets are worn but let open.

98C5
September 19, 2011, 10:11 AM
THR member, wyocarp, carries two 10mm Glocks.

Model 20's?

357 Terms
September 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
I will......WHEN THE ZOMBIES ATTACK!!!!!!

CoRoMo
September 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
Model 20's?
Yes, and in a double shoulder rig I believe.

GCBurner
September 19, 2011, 11:30 AM
Only for something like Cowboy Action Shooting, or after the Zombie Apocalypse starts. I love the look of that 1911 double shoulder-holster rig in Last Man Standing, but it's too heavy to tote around all day, unless combat seems imminent.

youngda9
September 19, 2011, 11:36 AM
Has anyone ever carried two full size pistols at once ?
Only when unloading my range bag.

If I felt the need for that I'd be carrying a rifle or most likely locked up in my bomb shelter already.

Ringolevio
September 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
"Wilmer", the "gunsel"* played by Elisha Cook, Jr. in "The Maltese Falcon" carried two 1911 Gov't Models, but was disarmed by Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart), who turned the guns over to the gunsel's boss, played by Sydney Greenstreet, telling him that they'd been taken from Wilmer by "a blind 'newsie' [newsstand operator]".

* "Gunsel" is actually a Yiddish word that had nothing to do with guns until Dashiell Hammett sneaked it past the censors and into the dialog. The original meaning is close to the Yiddish word feygeleh or the Spanish maricon.

FIVETWOSEVEN
September 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Yes but only at home. It was a XD40 in a thumb break OWB and a Hi Power right behind it in a IWB. Weight got to me even at home so I only do that if I'm feeling bored.

scaatylobo
September 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
btw I do know the game your name stands for = played it as a kid in Brookly NY,back in the 1950's.

I loved that post of your's about "gunsel" and it is one I have never heard.

I am a fan of Hammett and I will have to look that one up,thank you.

AND the Maltese Falcon is one of THE greatest movies ever,acting,plot !!.

Lubricant
September 19, 2011, 01:13 PM
Did it once.As a joke,2 fullsize 1911s,One in a crossdraw,the other strongside.Thought it was pretty amusing,Till my pants fell down.THEN everyone else seemed to get the joke

Loosedhorse
September 19, 2011, 01:17 PM
If I felt the need for that I'd be carrying a rifle or most likely locked up in my bomb shelter already.Some people believe in the use of a back-up pistol, others don't. (And some believe in snark.)

For those who believe in one, which makes more sense: after your primary gun has run dry or otherwise become unusable, and the gunfight is still going on, do you want a small-caliber pocket gun with sort-of-usable sights, or an exact copy of the standard-size gun that you were just using?

Makes carrying reloads easier, too. Unless you believe that if you carry spare ammo, you should be carrying a rifle!

357 Terms
September 19, 2011, 01:38 PM
Some people believe in the use of a back-up pistol, others don't. (And some believe in snark.)

a BUG is one thing (for a cop or other LE who has a much greater likelyhood of needing it, usually a small mousegun or snubby ) but TWO fullsize guns for your average Joe CC'er?....seems a little, no, it is, over the top. Just not necessary.

Armybrat
September 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
Did it once.As a joke,2 fullsize 1911s,One in a crossdraw,the other strongside.Thought it was pretty amusing,Till my pants fell down.THEN everyone else seemed to get the joke

lmao.

Loosedhorse
September 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
it is, over the top. Just not necessary.No rule says a back-up gun has got to be smaller. In fact, as I said, if the gunfight is still going on after you've exhausted one gun, you're going to want to switch to a mousegun? Okay, but for me, I'd probably want my back up gun to be bigger! :D

What you're comfortable with is up to you, just was what I am is up to me. Maybe you know what your gunfight is going to look like; I haven't a clue about mine.Just not necessary.I've never been shot at, never pulled my gun, never even reached for it. I guess any gun at all is just not necessary.

And LEOs should always be better armed than lawful private citizens. ;):rolleyes:

youngda9
September 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
a BUG is one thing (for a cop or other LE who has a much greater likelyhood of needing it, usually a small mousegun or snubby ) but TWO fullsize guns for your average Joe CC'er?....seems a little, no, it is, over the top. Just not necessary.
Thanks 357 for responding to that in my absense. I agree 100%. Now where did I put my trauma plates, I need to duct tape some more on my torso before I leave the house :)

Skribs
September 19, 2011, 03:21 PM
For those who believe in one, which makes more sense: after your primary gun has run dry or otherwise become unusable, and the gunfight is still going on, do you want a small-caliber pocket gun with sort-of-usable sights, or an exact copy of the standard-size gun that you were just using?

I'd rather buy 1 main gun I trust than buy 2 guns I don't. I'd rather carry a spare magazine for 1 gun than carry a whole second gun. If I were to carry a backup, it would be for a different purpose, i.e. a .40 for 2-legged predators and a .357 for 4-legged predators.

Loosedhorse
September 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'd rather buy 1 main gun I trust than buy 2 guns I don't.So would I!

But...what does that have to do with 2 guns that I trust?

scaatylobo
September 19, 2011, 03:36 PM
I find it very amusing that many here have to pontificate as to why and how you do not NEED a BUG or second gun.

I guess I took the time to actually ANSWER the O.P. and not belittel the ones who also did answer the O.P..

Opinions are like butt holes,we all have at least one.

BUTT,please keep it to yourself and just answer the question from the O.P..

I for one do not need [ nor heed ] anothers judgement of my actions,there is a MUCH higher authority for that.

firemanstrickland
September 19, 2011, 03:40 PM
Im glad yall KNOW what you need. I sure don't. I'll say this, (it's the same thing i say to the people who ask me why i carry) It is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Autolycus
September 19, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have not carried two guns at once. I have carried a fullsize Glock 17 and a subcompact 26. But if I was able to carry 2 fullsize guns, I doubt I would carry them both at the same time.

MUSICALGUNNUT45
September 19, 2011, 04:34 PM
I have an old friend who's a local character down in Kennesaw, GA who carries two longslide 1911s Wild Bill Hickok style.

Kennesaw is of course the town where citizens are required by law to own guns (and also a place where the Rebs really put a whuppin' on the Yanks, and never let a D*** Yankee forget it).

Anybody from down that way probably knows who I'm talking about.
Oh yeah I heard about that town. Sounds like heaven on earth to me.

Loosedhorse
September 19, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have carried a fullsize Glock 17 and a subcompact 26. But if I was able to carry 2 fullsize guns, I doubt I would carry them both at the same time.By my count, if you were to carry both your "full-size" pistol and your "subcompact" as a back-up, you would be carrying 29 rounds between the two pistols. Just for point of reference, that's more rounds than I was carrying in my two "full-size" pistols.

To each his own. Personally, I think the G17/G26 combo makes a lot of sense.

Ringolevio
September 19, 2011, 05:19 PM
MUSICALGUNNUT45:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringolevio
"I have an old friend who's a local character down in Kennesaw, GA who carries two longslide 1911s Wild Bill Hickok style.

"Kennesaw is of course the town where citizens are required by law to own guns (and also a place where the Rebs really put a whuppin' on the Yanks, and never let a D*** Yankee forget it).

"Anybody from down that way probably knows who I'm talking about."

Oh yeah I heard about that town. Sounds like heaven on earth to me.

Kennesaw passed that law as a response to Morton Grove, Illinois passing a law forbidding their citizens to own guns.

There already wasn't much property crime in Kennesaw, but whatever there was evaporated.

But I've yet to hear of the authorities in Kennesaw breaking down someone's door in the middle of the night and saying "We've got a search warrant, and if we don't find any guns in your house, you're in big trouble!!"

sm
September 19, 2011, 05:34 PM
Yes.

Full Size 1911s, Combat Commander sized 1911s, BHPs. Model 19s, Model 10s...
I come up with weak side carry being a good skill set.
And no, none of my guns ever had ambi safeties...

SharpsDressedMan
September 19, 2011, 06:08 PM
If you are going to a gunfight, it might be advisable to be carrying two guns. And you never know when you ARE going to a gunfight, do you? :)

azmjs
September 19, 2011, 06:33 PM
I think when I was a little kid I carried two toy guns in shoulder holsters...

W.E.G.
September 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
If I were in full go-to-hell mode, I would assign that extra weight to extra AMMO.

Thatguy686
September 19, 2011, 10:41 PM
i carry 2 basically full sized guns a sig p226 20 round capacity open carry with a glock 27 with grip extension and g23 mag for 14 rounds capacity iwb right behind it strongside the reason is i work at a indoor gun range and if someone were to take my primary (226) i have a backup incase they assume i am only carrying one and can draw from concealed and for a little food for thought a indoor gun range things can go bad easy we also have around 150-200 guns in stock and we expect everyone coming in to have a gun so if someone walked in an set a range bag on the counter then pulled out a loaded firearm pointed in my direction it just went from regular customer to hold up that quick also i consider the 27 to be full sized because of the grip extension

Ringolevio
September 20, 2011, 01:36 AM
scaatylobo:
Ringolevio
btw I do know the game your name stands for = played it as a kid in Brookly NY,back in the 1950's.

I loved that post of your's about "gunsel" and it is one I have never heard.

I am a fan of Hammett and I will have to look that one up,thank you.

AND the Maltese Falcon is one of THE greatest movies ever,acting,plot !!.

Thanks, scaatylobo ('speaking of interesting monikers...! "Still-crazy-after-all-these-years Wolf"?)

My signature line on "that other (very similar) firearms forum site" was
Ringolevio was a game played on the streets of NYC in my youth. Emmett Grogan used it as the title of his autobiography, in which the game was a metaphor for "a life played for keeps".

But I have been banished forever from that site, so I'm here now; 'same name, same style, different station...and, just perhaps, a wee bit wiser...

pekosROB
September 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
Too hot most of the time in Texas for me to wear clothing that would even allow me to begin to entertain the idea of carrying two full size guns, but I would totally rock the double under shoulder holster with a jacket if possible.

FIVETWOSEVEN
September 20, 2011, 02:43 PM
Do you carry two guns Sharps?

Rexster
September 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
Yes, but not in a double shoulder rig. I do have an excellent old nylon Weapons Systems vertical shoulder rig for 4" revolvers. It first carried my old S&W Model 58, while an HK P7 rode on the hip, in a Bianchi Askins Avenger. The shoulder rig is flexible enough to handle K- through N-frames, Ruger Speed Six and GP100, and SAA-sized single actions. I haven't owned a P7 since about 1986, so the weapon worn on the hip has varied, from compact autos and revolvers, to a second 4" sixgun and 5" 1911 pistols.

I used to do much long-distance road tripping in the 1980s and 1990s, and guarded auto dealerships while seated in my truck in the late 1980s; a shoulder rig is excellent when seated for long periods. At work, when doing surveillance assignments for eight to 16-hour shifts, that shoulder rig was very handy.

More recently, I obtained a gently-used, pre-owned Andrews Monarch rig for
the SIG P229, but rarely wear it. (I started carrying a P229 as a personally-owned duty pistol in 2004, and started adding more P229s in 2007.) When I carry two SIGs, the second is
more likely to be toted in a Safepacker, from The Wilderness, or in a belt holster. These SIGs were the first duty-sized pistols which I have often worn on the belt in pairs. Even with a good, purpose built belt, however, two SIGs, plus spare mags, can get heavy when worn all day, with both on the belt. It is more comfortable to sling one in a Safepacker.

To be clear, carrying two full-sized fightin' pistols, all day, is not my daily norm, outside of my badge-wearing hours. There have been times I felt the need to up-gun, so a second fighting pistol, and sometimes even a third, has seemed a good idea. Other times, with shoulder rigs in particular, it has been comfort reasons, or accessibility options when
wearing a heavy jacket or rain coat. My second handgun has much more often been a smaller weapon, usually a snubby revolver. My skinny, scrawny fingers are actually quite well-served by the factory grip of a Ruger SP101, and it is very common for me to carry two of them, as a concealed carry combo, especially after I bought one with the longer 3.06" barrel.

SharpsDressedMan
September 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
Fivetwoseven, not too subtle, but, yeah, I often carry two guns, but only occasionally two full size (pair of) guns. :D ................................. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06250.jpg

Skribs
September 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
I wasn't trying to belittle anyone with my comment. A loaded M-16 weighs about the same as 5 magazines. If you were an armorer issuing your troops equipment, would you issue them 1 M-16 and 5 spare magazines, or 2 M-16s to have a backup? I'd rather carry a pair of magazines in a double mag holster than carry a single magazine in a backup gun. Why have (15+1)*2 when I can have 15*3+1? IMO, 46 > 32.

Rexster
September 21, 2011, 02:06 AM
I wasn't trying to belittle anyone with my comment. A loaded M-16 weighs about the same as 5 magazines. If you were an armorer issuing your troops equipment, would you issue them 1 M-16 and 5 spare magazines, or 2 M-16s to have a backup? I'd rather carry a pair of magazines in a double mag holster than carry a single magazine in a backup gun. Why have (15+1)*2 when I can have 15*3+1? IMO, 46 > 32.
Arriving at home, after a night shift of police patrol in a big city, to discover that my duty sixgun's mainspring had broken sometime during the night, broke me out of my complacency, and got me back to regularly carrying a second handgun. (The rattling of the broken bits was apparent when I un-holstered.) A bunch of reloads do little good if the weapon itself has been relegated to a field-expedient club.

Moreover, what is wrong with carrying spare ammo in addition to the spare weapon?

HDCamel
September 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've thought about it. My main carry gun is my SAA and I can shoot it about equally well with either hand, so pulling out another one is probably more desirable than reloading it. The only problem is that I don't HAVE two SAAs or a left hand/crossdraw holster.

I'd carry the SAA and the 1911, but that would be tacky...

Iggy
September 21, 2011, 01:14 PM
I think I quit packin' two big irons when I quit playin' Hopalong Cassidy back in the 4th grade.;)

I often carried a backup gun when I was in LE, but have not felt the need since then.
Please don't git me wrong here, I ain't disparagin' agin anybody who chooses to do so, I'm pushin' the weight limit my knees can stand as it is.:o

Robbins290
September 21, 2011, 05:20 PM
I sometimes carry duel cz52's in a winter jacket. Bit over kill with over penatration. But o well

Lucas_Y
September 21, 2011, 06:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/96xj4ltr5sp/gun/holsters.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/96xj4ltr5sp/gun/IMG_5682.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/96xj4ltr5sp/gun/IMG_5683.jpg

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, then proceeded to wear the heck out of said t-shirt.

SharpsDressedMan
September 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
Two 1911A1's in an Alessi rig. Two quad mag pouches and one double. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06273.jpg http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06274.jpg

Wonder9
September 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
Try this.

SharpsDressedMan
September 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
Rudy at Black Hills Leather makes a great behind the back double rig, similar to the above. http://www.bhlstore.com/

Strykervet
September 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
I thought about it back in the day, but when I started carrying, I slowly went down in size until I got to the G27, then I went back up to a G29 when I could conceal it well. Now I'm considering getting a rig for my G20, but 2? Wow. That would be heavy and uncomfortable (for what I do). If I needed the firepower, I guess it would make me feel very comfortable.

Personally, if I do need that much firepower, I'll just grab the M4. The pistol is for shooting your way back to the rifle, right? I just built a new one, a pretty close copy of the one I had in the army, so I can throw the old one behind the seat in the truck.

I can see the usefulness as a bodyguard or whatever, as a civilian CCW, I can't really comprehend it. But that is part of freedom, you know? Do what floats your boat as long as it doesn't slow mine down. My biggest problem with it besides concealment and weight is that I am VERY right handed, to the point my left serves the right --usually with full mags. I'd need a third at least just to make it work.

Anyway, when the stuff goes down, I want one of you guys standing next to me, 1. because I'll let you return fire because you are way better armed, and 2. because you'll be weighed down so much, it will make it easier for me to run away while you cover me!

usmccpl
September 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
Depends on how you look at this. Last fall I went to visit my dad and took my Sig226 that is my primary, a SP101 357 that my dad wanted to trade me out of, and my Ruger SRH Alaskan 454 that he wanted to test fire before commiting to buy one of his own. I had every one of them concealed when I walked into his house.

TenMillimaster
September 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
to be fair, the the pistols carried in the gunblast article weren't full sized glock 17's but glock 19's.

farscott
November 26, 2011, 02:51 PM
I have been carrying two Glock 19s in a Rosen Stylemaster shoulder holster. It is surprisingly comfortable on my long commute (285 miles one way) each week. It makes sense for vehicle use and when a heavy coat is being worn,

I also have a single-side Stylemaster that I sometimes wear with a VM-2.

DesertFox
November 26, 2011, 03:26 PM
I guess my G29 doesn't count as full-sized but with a G20 mag and grip extension it is anything but compact! The G20 and G29 combo with G20 extra mags (got some 29 round Scherer) that fit both is about the most loaded firepower I can possibly imagine carrying without need of a sherpa. Multiple holsters SoB, IWB, high-rise, Bianchi M84, Galco shoulder rig - fit both, with all but the M84 even fitting the G20 w/ 6" barrel. I've been carrying, shooting and reloading for G20 since the dark ages when even LEO could not buy a spare mag for $100 or any price for that matter.

PT92
November 27, 2011, 08:02 PM
No--I prefer a normal primary CCW with a smaller BUG (just feels more natural as well as comfortable to me).

-Happy Holidays

rcmodel
November 27, 2011, 08:08 PM
I have carried a 1911 pistol, a M60 Machinegun, an M14 rifle, ammo for all of them, several hand grenades, and a couple of smoke grenades, all at the same time on occasion.

But it is not something I would recommend doing if not under extreme duress.

Currently, I am old & wise enough to go home and go to bed when it comes down to needing two guns at the same time for anything other then recreational shooting at targets & beer cans.

rc

SharpsDressedMan
November 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
rc, when you get that hoveround, you can strap two guns to it and it won't be any burden at all! :D

James2
November 27, 2011, 10:35 PM
I have carried two full sized guns many times, but on a belt.

I like this idea of a two gun shoulder rig. At least the weight would be equal on both sides so the rig had a better chance of staying put. The shoulder rig I tried tended to migrate to the heavier side. I had to put a tie-down to the belt on both sides to keep it in place.

jmstevens2
November 27, 2011, 11:05 PM
Sometimes. First in case of failure of one. Second, if I am with my 15 year old and it is that bad, I can choose to hand him one and he can defend himself and assist if it becomes necessary. Also if I go down I do not want him defenseless.

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
November 28, 2011, 06:04 AM
jmstevens2 brings up a considerable reason for the first time here,

and Sharps, those mag pouches you posted with the double-shoulder-rig almost explain the amount of rounds fired in Last Man Standing and The Way of the Gun. I hope to acquire a few pouches like that just to try 'em out

i have yet to carry two full-framed handguns in public, not exactly opposed to it though. Only times I've ever carried two (in public) it was always a full and a compact, usually SW1911 .45 with two or three extra mags and Beretta Tomcat .32 with just the rounds it has in it.

Around my home I've experimented carrying two full-size handguns more often than never, but less than frequently. In the times that I have, it's usually either my Gp100 6" or 629-2 4", in a shoulder rig along with my 5" SW1911 IWB 4/5:00, but have also carried 1911 IWB with my 5906 in cross-draw or shoulder-rig.

hirundo82
November 29, 2011, 03:59 AM
I've done it just to see if I could--Glock 17 in shoulder holster, 1911 on the belt OWB under a light jacket. Possible, but only during the coldest part of the year in Houston.

You shouldn't go cheap with any holster, but that's especially true with a shoulder holster. I use a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster (from the Express line--I'm not made of money) for my Glock 17 and 19. The Alessi Bodyguard is probably the best name out there in shoulder holsters--I plan to pick up one for my Springfield 1911 at some point.

45Fan
November 29, 2011, 09:09 AM
When I am deer hunting during firearms season, I carry my SBH in a western style rig, and my 1911 in a shoulder harness.
I have carried in the past, just to see if I could, a full size 1911, and officers model 1911, a taurus PT92, and LCP. All concealed, though not very comfortable. If I had a nice matched pair, and I were going to a gun related gathering, I might consider OC of them in some nice leather to show them off, but not something I would accommodate for EDC.

Greg528iT
November 29, 2011, 09:37 AM
2. because you'll be weighed down so much, it will make it easier for me to run away while you cover me!
:) :)

Reminds me of the joke... ending in, ".... I don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than you..."

Which makes me think of.. if you are going to carry 2 full sized pistols. Which one should be good for bear???? ;)

VA27
November 29, 2011, 10:44 PM
I have carried a P7M8 in an ankle holster as a backup to my G17. When the G19 hit the market it replaced the P7.

I had a partner lose his primary sidearm (Model 10 Smith) in a foot pursuit. Ever after that he carried an extra M10 in a shoulder rig. (That was over 30 years ago, when everyone carried wheelguns)

flip888
November 30, 2011, 03:54 AM
I personally find it impractical to carry 2 guns at the same time. Im only skilled enough to use 1 at a time. However earlier today I carried a ruger p95 and a cz75b through the local mall here in seatle just to see how it felt. They were both in custom iwb holsters. After 20 mins I forgot they were even there.

Ive also carried a Draco AK47 and a xd40sc into a pizza hut a few weeks ago. Mainly because I didnt want to leave it in my friends car.

guyfromohio
November 30, 2011, 05:01 AM
When carry was new and fun, I may have been more apt. I guess I'm not as paranoid now. To each, his own.

FoMoGo
December 4, 2011, 10:49 AM
I have carried a pair of full size 1911s and a compact 1911, along with 6-8 full size mags before.
Shoulder, IWB, OWB.
I am 6'4 270 lbs, its not much of a burden.
With proper belt and holsters it isnt bad at all.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone ever carried two full size pistols at once" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!