Ouch! Old Age Stinks!

PDA

bhk
September 18, 2011, 10:52 PM
I have my own backyard range. Today I went out to shoot my main carry gun, a SW1911PD, on IDPA targets. I did some simple drills and then shot a few draw/shoots one handed, something I do during most sessions. After about 30 shots sudden pain permeated my wrist. OUCH! My damn wrist now hurts 10 hours later, although it is improving as the hours pass. Arthritis, maybe. I have never had this happen before and it is discouraging.

I will let my wrist recover before shooting that gun again and probably limit my shot number to a degree. Fortunately, I can shoot every day if I want. Fewer shots per day/more days of shooting might be my solution. I might also consider a .22 conversion unit (or the new GSG 1911-22) for more practice. I sure hate to give up my 1911s at age 61.

Maybe this was a freak deal. Anyone else have this situation?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ouch! Old Age Stinks!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cottswald
September 18, 2011, 11:17 PM
Not in the wrist but in the shoulder. I found that "fewer shots per day/more days of shooting" made a difference. Also, you might try implementing some mild wrist/arm exercises to strengthen the muscles and provide more support (works on the back).

BullfrogKen
September 18, 2011, 11:29 PM
Hey, it beats the alternative.

armoredman
September 18, 2011, 11:32 PM
If it doesn't stop hurting and you don't have a history of arthritus in that location, get to a doc and see if you fractured something.

Carl Levitian
September 18, 2011, 11:34 PM
bhj, I hate to break it to you, but it don't get much better with age. I'm 70, and my better half is 67, and we don't shoot much of anything but .22's anymore. Between my shoulder surgery and arthritis, and my wifes surgery for her carpel tunnel problems and arthritis, the .22's are what we can burn up lots of ammo without gobbling ibuprophen like M&M's. Old age sucks. Time will steal everything we are, eventually. Nothing we can do about it.

But the alternative is worse.:eek:

Carl.

Ben86
September 19, 2011, 01:02 AM
Perhaps a 9mm 1911?

Do wrist strengthening exercises (pushups on fists for example) and maybe put some icy hot on before and after. Do the usual arthritic care and it should hurt less.

AK_Maine_iac
September 19, 2011, 03:18 AM
This same topic was raised on the sportsman's channel (guns and ammo or handguns) not sure which one it was on.

They said to use a 2lb dumbbell. Place arm on a table with wrist facing up and extending your hand out past the edge of the table.With weight in your hand let your hand drop backwards down towards the floor. Than lift weight back upwards. Do a few reps of 10 times each. When ever your just setting around doing nothing. Also get one of the squeeze exercise grips. Between the two of them you will keep your wrists in top shape for shooting.

franco45
September 19, 2011, 10:32 AM
Holy crap, I can't escape this even on THR. Guys, I go through this routine every time I run into an old friend. This hurts, that hurts, I injured this or that. Remember when we told lies about girls, guns and cars. Oh, the good old days. Seriously though the wrist exercises and overall conditioning go a long way in helping with old Arthur.

Sky
September 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
With all the bones and soft tissue in our hands and feet it is amazing we do not become out of sorts more often. If I had to guess you pinched a nerve. Take any muscle relaxer and the pain will be gone in three days if it was a muscle or tendon. Not a Doctor just my opinion. Have been taking a anti inflammatory and muscle relaxer before boarding a flight and when I arrive I am pain free and can move. I have a back injury that the highly skilled Doctors wanted to operate on and cut me open. I got a hyper extention exercise machine/rest and started working out once or twice a day for my back. It was slow going in the beginning but after approx 3 months I could sit for 30 minutes without the nerve in my butt feeling like a hot knife.

The exercise thing as already mentioned is the only way I can think of that will help you for shooting the firearm of your choice. Good luck and don't give up it only gets worse!!

BCRider
September 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
At 58 but being quite active by many standards I've so far avoided MOST of the "decay". But I know that in the winter with the rain and all if I sluff off and don't do anything physically active for a few days I feel like I'm seizing up and find I get quite stiff and start to have some aches. Riding bicycles, walking, playing some badminton or tennis, going dancing with the missus or almost anything where you're moving fairly energetically for a few hours at least every other day will greatly help avoid a lot of it.

For example just yesterday I was living up to my user name by riding one of my motorcycles in a mini road racing event. It may seem to some like the engine is doing the work but in reality we're moving all over that bike like an apache on their war horse. By the end of the day the body knows it's gotten a good workout. I also try to get out for longer and energetic bicycle rides three or more times a week. And once the house renos are done that'll go up to almost daily when I'm not doing something else.

Lubricant
September 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
I know you don't want to hear this,But doing dishes can do wonders for arthritis in the hands/wrists.Manipulating all the various dishes/utensils in hot,soapy water[as hot as you can stand it]is great therapy.And no,your wife did'nt pay me to post this.

dprice3844444
September 19, 2011, 02:42 PM
too bad at our ages we cannot rechannel the stiff ness to a more central location. look up an anti inflamatory called diclofenac.works good and cheap

ATBackPackin
September 19, 2011, 03:37 PM
Sir go see a doctor if the pain persists more than a couple of days. They will be able to give you a real exam, take images, and then give you a real plan to help you on your way to recovery. If it is a ligament or bone issue, doing aforesaid exercises will most likely only make it worse. They can help after you have recovered to try to prevent it happening again, but your doctor can tell you what exercises and when to do them.

I would most definitely see a doctor is the pain persists.

Shawn

valnar
September 19, 2011, 04:19 PM
bhk,
Out of curiosity, do you have any handguns with a sharper grip angle than the 1911? Something in the Glock/Luger/Ruger Mark III angle?

I don't mean to make a scientific experiment out of your pain, but I'd be curious if such an angle helps or hurts your situation.

bhk
September 19, 2011, 05:00 PM
Nope, none have my handguns have that much rake in the grip. I imagine I will be doing all kinds of experiments with my shooting over the next few months. One thing for sure, I won't/can't give up shooting. I have been shooting steadily for fifty years. I may alter things a bit, but sure won't quit! I already do a lot of .22 handgun shooting. Maybe even more now.

fatcpa
September 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
I'm 63 and have a fair amount of arthritis in my shooting wrist. I still like to shoot the 45's, so I wrap the wrist before each shooting session. You can go to the drug store and buy Coban wrap for $6 a roll, or you can go to your local farm store and buy the stuff they wrap horses ankles with for $1.75 a roll. The farm store stuff comes in colors too! I'm partial to the bright orange stuff myself!!

PT92
September 19, 2011, 08:10 PM
bhk wrote:

Ouch! Old Age Stinks!
I have my own backyard range.

I refuse to read the rest of your post as my jealously will not permit.

Just kidding, aging stinks and everyone finds a way to deal with it.

Good luck!

-Cheers

doubleh
September 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
Getting old sucks but certainly beats the alternative. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I've really fallen apart in the last three years. Had surgery on my right shoulder last January. Torn rotator cuff repair, scope out the arthritis, and cut
off the collar bone end. Rehab ain't no FUN. Shoulder has done very well but arthritis (diagnosed) in the wrist and carpal tunnel inflamation has made shooting any handgun with more recoil than a 45 acp or 357 unpleasant enough to quit doing it.

Monday I'm going in to have the same procedure done on my left shoulder. Hooray. I can hardly wait. Maybe by Christmas I'll be able to hold up a rifle again. I'm right handed so I'll be able to get in some handgun time, just not with the hard kickers.

snooperman
September 20, 2011, 11:03 AM
I shoot about 4 days a week but limit it to about a 2 hour session each day. I used to shoot a lot of hot loads in 45 Colt and 44 magnum but lately I reload them lighter unless I am hunting. I shoot a lot more 357 magnum , 38 special, and 44 special now. I don't have arthritis but will get muscle fatigue if I shoot too long at one time. I also try to skip a day between each shooting session and mix the shooting session between large caliber guns and small caliber guns. I find that this regimen works for me. Good luck and good shooting.

blindhari
September 20, 2011, 11:16 AM
Since I have retired, I am 65 now, I go every third year to Arlington. At my age surgery, arthritis and abused muscles are a problem. Last year our kids got together, bought plane tickets and took my wife and I to Washington DC. The smithsonian, the capitol, the monuments were fantastic. I was getting achy and tired when we went to Arlington. There once again I walked the Wall. I am still old sore and slow. There is this consolation though, I have remembered how I got this way, those who were with me then, and those who rest.

blindhari
Sgt Ranger
Like My Father Before Me

brickeyee
September 20, 2011, 12:20 PM
Getting old is not for sissies.

Furncliff
September 20, 2011, 12:29 PM
Getting old... another reason I enjoy rimfire.

azrn
September 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
i am at 61 and all the pain/discomfort that my fellow members are talking about also applies to me. it is what it is. we just have to deal with it. at least we can do is smile in our pain as we go shooting our guns. azrn

Loosedhorse
September 20, 2011, 02:08 PM
There is a reason that they make really fine, exquisitely comfortable shoes--so that older guys can wear them.

There is a reason they make shooting gloves, and .22s. The older I get, the more I love .22s.

sig220mw
September 20, 2011, 08:56 PM
I read an article a few years ago in a gun mag. The author of the article told of how after years of shooting many magnum type handguns he had done permanent damage to his wrist. I don't remember his name or if he had ever found a solution. I myself have arthritis in my right hand and trigger finger but so far it only affects me when I try to extend it in the opposite direction instead so I'm still good to shoot. Some type of wrist band could possibly help. Other than that if it were me I would try the aspirin, ibuprofin or what ever route about an hour before I began shooting and maybe cut back on number of rounds shot.

Paul7
September 21, 2011, 07:04 PM
You guys with joint/ligament problems, google 'prolotherapy'. It will probably fix it without surgery.

I remember reading Col. Jeff Cooper had bad hand surgery at the end, probably from all the pounding from shooting.

Maybe move to a polymer .45 for less recoil?

brickeyee
September 21, 2011, 08:58 PM
Maybe move to a polymer .45 for less recoil?

The lower wight would tend to increase the recoil.

Less mass to soak up momentum, gun recoils faster, 1/2 * m * v^2

chieftain
September 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
Maturity is not a good enough trade off for getting old. :(

Stopped shooting bullseye almost 15 years ago because of arthritis in my elbow (it was the weight of the guns not the recoil). :mad:

So I started practical matches, (two hands most of the time). About 9 years ago the arthritis in my hands got to the point that my SIGs were getting hard to shoot. Because of the double action. And as an old revolver shooter that really killed me. At times my trigger finger would swell up like a sausage (And I have short chubby fingers to begin with) and I could barely bend the trigger finger. Not fun. :fire:

So I went back to the 1911 (shortest trigger movement). Now I am slowly loosing strength in my hands. Jeezzz! I Went to 9mm Government Colts for matches already. I am on/in the Agent Orange registry, and my Doctor thinks a lot of my problems, (Not withstanding my first 20 years or so spent in the fast lane.) are quite possibly because of the Agent Orange. The guy who does my orthotic inserts tells me, that "we" Agent Orange guys seem to deteriorate faster than most too. Real cheerful guy. :cuss:

Anyway.

I recently gave up my Springfield Professional for CCW/EDC and went to a Colt LtWgt 21st Century Commander (Wiley Clapp model) in 45acp of course. It has been mildly customized and tweaked by Eric Zinn of the CZ Custom Shop in Mesa, AZ. I looks a bit like one of the Custom DW Commander like guns they work on there. Probably the last gun I will be able to carry too.

From one old fart to all you other old farts, good luck, sooner or later we are all going to need it. At 63, I am just really tired of always feeling like I am on point. (Not withstanding that there are many before me, may God Help them.)

The whining will end now. :banghead:

Fred

daorhgih
September 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
I've used them for years. I notice that pro sports people, from tennis to wrestling, always wrap up before starting. So I do too. I have found also that if your trigger-guard will allow shooting with a glove, a weighted sapper-glove both absorbs and distributes the shock well. A plain latex exam-glove will grip the handle well also, and keep any movement towards a smack from getting to my wrist. Are Taurus' "ribber"-type sleeves available for 1911 types? Dao

Paul7
September 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
I disagree that the polymer guns increase recoil, the flex absorbs some of it. The Glock 21 and HK45 definately kick less than a 1911. The thicker grip of the double stacks also spreads the recoil around.

brickeyee
September 22, 2011, 03:41 PM
"I disagree that the polymer guns increase recoil"

Do not confuse perceived recoil with recoil energy.

If the the same cartridge is fired in a lighter weight gun and produces the came MV it will have produced the same momentum.

This momentum causes a greater recoil velocity in the lighter gun.

This larger velocity means the free recoil energy is greater.

The polymer frame is not going to absorb enough energy in deformation to have an appreciable affect on the recoil energy.

Sky
September 22, 2011, 03:59 PM
Agent Orange guys seem to deteriorate faster than most too. Real cheerful guy.

Helped a friend get a job with the Airline once. He was a good stick and a great guy. After 10 years he was flying high until his finger nails and toe nails started turning to mush. Doctor and several test later Agent Orange was the diagnosis. Think he died at age 48 of liver failure. Any of us over 60 that had dealings with Mr. Orange are maybe better off than we realize; Vets who have gone to the happy hunting grounds in the sky never made it to our ripe old age.. So maybe we are lucky or who knows maybe the hunting is really good there?

Red Cent
September 22, 2011, 04:13 PM
".....he had done permanent damage to his wrist. I don't remember his name ...."

John Taffin. Does reviews for handguns mostly.

10-1-2011 = 70.

On Saturday or Sunday morning, right before a match (Ruger Rimfire-2times a month, SASS-2 times a month, PCCA-2 times a month. Yea, I know. I give up two matches somewhere.), I take two Aleve and a Tramadal (prescribed). Good until about 4:00pm. If necessary, I take 'em again.

During the week, I let my liver and stomch rest. Other than the Dickel.

Thumbs, right shoulder, and lower back. Exercise, exercise, exercise.:cool:

brickeyee
September 22, 2011, 04:38 PM
Exercise, exercise, exercise.

All the exercise in the world will not restore cartilage damaged by osteoarthritis.

788Ham
September 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
Right shoulder really bothers me when it gets cold, best time of the year to be out and shooting. Right forearm busted up in the `Nam, plate and screws don't help it any, thumb won't quite hold onto the stock, but I love shooting, so quitting ain't an option here either. Like the gentleman a few replies back, who'd visited the Wall and can remember those he served with, my being only 62, I'd give most anything I have if I could visit that Wall one time and look upon the names of those I served with. Thanks for your service sir, I'm grateful you did. I still like to shoot, a couple times a week anyway, reload and fool with all that stuff needed, just wish times were slower, like back in the late 60's, when myself and my buddy would go shooting for the day and shoot a couple bricks of .22's apiece, God we had fun, and never hurt a thing, can probably still outshoot him too. LOL Keep shooting guys, one of these days we won't be able to......... I ain't looking forward to that day either. Semper Fi

4v50 Gary
September 22, 2011, 04:49 PM
Back in the late '70s a lot of gunwriters used to tout the magnum and virtually said that anyone who couldn't handle it was a sissy. I think it was Mel Tappan who used to shoot a lot of magnums himself complained in one of his last articles that his wrists were shot from shooting magnums. There is a price to be paid for abusing yourself.

No more heavy loads for me. Occasionally, yes, but not a regular diet of punishing loads.

marv
September 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
If you handload you can make what I call pissant loads for recreation and practice and keep the powerful stuff for carry.

Ala Dan
September 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
I went to the doc last week for the same type of problem, turns out I had a
case of severe cellulitis in the [strong hand] right wrist. Can't stand for a bed
sheet to touch it right now~! Antibotics, pain meds, and anti-inflamatory
drugs haven't helped much~! :cuss: :banghead: :fire:

Sky
September 24, 2011, 02:22 PM
How can I say this without offending some segment; not all Docs have the time to notice you on an individual basis. Kinda like boxes in boxes out and money.

Had a female friend while water skiing that pulled a muscle in her neck. Two weeks later she had to turn her whole upper body just to look left or right; the pain brought tears to her eyes with no sleep and constant pain.

She had been to two separate doctors with no avail, other than some high tec gadgets and mucho insurance money spent. One wanted to operate for a pinched nerve; she was 29 years old. They had given her pain medicine which she was eating like candy.

When we pull something the muscle tends to tighten up and then the more pain the tighter it gets setting up something like a feed back loop of tightness and pain. She finally went to a sports doctor and he prescribed a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory type med. In three days her symptoms were completely gone without the operation and chance of something going wrong during the operation.. Had another friend who did an operation for basically the same thing and he is fine and swears by it; same results just two different treatments.

Screws and metal plates are a different story yet again anti-inflammatory works for certain cases. The only guy I know who has a metal plate that really worked out good for him is a guy who had part of the front of his skull replaced with titanium . His brow looks like a unwrinkled babies bottom. Great face lift for him but I think I would pass on the reason for doing it. One of the Doctors who saw him on the gurney commented there was nothing they could do for him to a nurse. He was conscience and let lose a few choice words that he was not dead yet and he wanted a second opinion! Actually scared the Doc and nurse because they did not think he had much life left much less he was conscience. His vocabulary was rather astonishing considering his brain was not really in the proper position!

I have to laugh at Docs who require cat scans; MRIs, and untold amounts of insurance money just to hand out a few pills. Yes they have procedures they follow while some of the procedures are CYA due to lawsuits. We all know the stories. Yet there are over 33,000 people who died in 2005 from prescription drugs in America alone; hospitals are worse than that!. Can Google it.

According to a little noticed January report from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), drug overdoses killed more than 33,000 people in 2005, the last year for which firm data are available. That makes drug overdose the second leading cause of accidental death, behind only motor vehicle accidents (43,667) and ahead of firearms deaths (30,694).

Depends on where you look: About 106,000 people die from prescription drug overdoses each year... is another answer I have seen more than once.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) states that as many as 99,000 people in American hospitals die annually from hospital infections they acquired while in the hospital.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4514259

My brother was the head bureaucratic cheese for a states insurance program and one of his favorite sayings was, " If you want to live a long time stay away from doctors and hospitals"! He was not joking.

When I hurt my back I went to 5 specialist. Three wanted to cut me and fuse a couple of disk. Luckily I knew a few guys who had this done. The results from my limited survey were about 50/50. But the ones that had the procedure and it did not work were in bad shape. One had three back operations and had to wear a Tens Machine all the time just to help with the pain. He was messed up big time.

Again I am not a Doctor and my observations are certainly not the same as a highly paid professional "trained in the ART of medicine" for profit.... kinda guy; but....... ..
Old age sucks; but some of us get there down different paths. Again there have been a few times if I had not sought out professional medical help I would not be here nor would a few of my friends; choose wisely and be informed. This is not a rag on Doctors unless they deserve it; it is just there are other options available sometimes without being cut on..

P5 Guy
September 24, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hips and Knees means no more Three Position for this Guy:fire:

dprice3844444
September 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
with head injuries,you have to be very careful to rule out bleeds, aneurizms and swelling.covers docs butt.brain bouncing around in there can do unseen damage

Strykervet
September 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
The G21, if it does have less recoil, will be due to the fact the slide is a huge chunk of steel and not because the frame is polymer.

You might also take a look at the 10mm. But only if you handload. If you load, you can tailor rounds that are very light all the way to nuclear. 10mm is a very versatile round that lends itself well to loading.

A 10mm with reduced loads is nothing more than a .40. But it has a large frame. Remember Dirty Harry? In the second movie, he told the motorcycle cops that he carried specials in the .44mag revolver because the heavier frame reduced recoil and aided in followup shots. 10mm is the same deal. A 200gr. XTP at about 1050fps will penetrate better than the 200gr. .45ACP due to the cross sectional density of the bullet, but have less recoil than the .45 or a .40 firing a 180gr. FBI load.

I also seem to get lower recoil using slower burning powders and mediocre load data. I can get the 10mm to have similar or less recoil than a G17 firing +P ammo.

Whatever you do, stay away from the 340PD. I have one of those and it is the worst recoil I have ever experienced from any weapon ever. On the other hand, nothing is lighter with that much firepower, and it seems to get lost in a pocket, I've actually forgotten I had it it is so light.

I know what you mean about the arthritis. I'm sort of young, but got injured in the army, and that aggravated arthritis that I probably would have developed anyway (my grandmother had it real bad). Besides back and knee trouble, I got arthritis in the shoulder and the foot. Most likely gout due to complications from the other problems, but I have no way to prove it without a painful test. Very painful, I know what you mean about a sheet hurting it, I really do. Sometimes I wake up and my shoulder doesn't work and burns real bad. I had to quit keeping a shotgun handy in leiu of an M4 --not only can I not handle the recoil of the shotgun when my shoulder acts up, I can't even lift it.

Anyway, what works best for all of this, believe it or not, is to reduce your sugar intake, reduce your weight, and drink more water. A little Aleve works well for flare ups, especially gout. All of this helps with swelling ultimately, and that in turn helps with the arthritis. Cherry juice is also a good thing they say, I don't know perhaps it helps, but you need to eat a LOT of them. I don't have that problem, when they are in season I probably go through at least a pound a day, maybe more. But that only lasts a little over a month or two, too bad, because I'm hooked on Rainier cherries!

I've lost about 25lbs over the last few months, been trying to drink more water and less sugar over all. I have had less severe problems and less frequent episodes where it is bad. Of course the VA docs couldn't figure any of this out, they just wanted to give me more pills (and one doc is actually mad because I'm doing better and he wanted to increase my medications!?). Whatever you do, reducing swelling and increasing local muscle strength will significantly reduce your pain and problems associated with arthritis, gout, joints, etc. Just flexing the muscles around the joint and holding that several times a day helps.

I know all this because I spent the better part of the last seven years in and out of VA hospitals with joint issues, mostly back.

marv
September 24, 2011, 06:54 PM
I have no wrist in my left arm anymore. Thanks to arthritis it has been fused with a bone graft and a metal plate and screws. No more USPSA. Can't do strong hand/weak hand. Tried rimfire steel challenge for a while. Maybe you can get your club to do that.

Stumpknocker
September 24, 2011, 07:05 PM
My dad had a sharp pain in his right wrist that made him have to give up golf, and then he couldn't hold the rod when fishing. When it affected his fishing, he HAD to get it fixed. The problem was arthritis in the cartilage at the end of his ulna. They removed the cartilage, took some tendon tissue from his forearm and wrapped it around the end of the bone in place of the cartilage. Arthritis doesn't affect tendon, so once it healed he was pain free. Been good for over 5 years now (he's 73). He's able to golf again, and the grouper and snapper are in danger several times a week!

Dave T
September 24, 2011, 08:52 PM
Don't mean to beat a dead horse but you know your vigorous youth has caught up with you when you take narcotic pain killers, an anti-inflammatory, two different muscle relaxers and a specific nerve pain drug and it still hurts to get up in the morning, on the days I can stand up at all. Got 5 herniated discs in the low back and arthritis in both shoulders and starting in the hands. Keep asking myself...when did all this happen? Heck, I'm only 62. (smile)

Can't stay on my feet long enough to shoot in a practical match any more and the arthritis has slowed me down so much I'd come in last anyway. (LOL)

I still shoot the 1911s as they have always seemed mild in recoil compared to higher pressure cartridges. What I can't deal with any more are the 44 Magnums. They just beat my hands up something awful, and several hours later the shoulders remind me I over did the recoil stuff.

Still, as a character in a book once said about guns and shooting, they're just so darn interesting. Can't imagine giving them up. My advice is do what ever it takes to keep going. Just don't give up...ever!

Dave

longknife12
September 24, 2011, 09:20 PM
Guess I'm blessed, will be 69 in Oct and still shoot 44mag and .338's on a regular basis. Also, hunt above 10K with no problems.Lord has been kind despite my abuses to my bod!
Dan
:cool:

Radagast
September 25, 2011, 01:32 AM
Paul7:
Thanks for the Prolotherapy tip. I won't go into all of the things wrong with my bod, but that looks like it may help with one of the major issues.

Twiki357
September 25, 2011, 03:57 AM
I don't know if it would help your specific condition, I have found that a bowlers glove helps give my wrist support.

orionengnr
September 25, 2011, 08:31 PM
I did a lot of abusing my body for the first 40 years--dirt riding and racing motocross followed by road racing later. Lots of sudden encounters with terra firma, usually hands first. My fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders have a lot of hard miles on them.

I'm taking an Aleve each day now, and it really helps. If I'm going to be doing yard work (especially digging up busted sprinklers, etc.) if I forget to take that Aleve before I start, I sure get a good "reminder" about 15 minutes in. :) Same with a reloading session.

Just bought a KX250 after 20 years of being away from dirt bikes. What was I thinking? :)

Germster
September 25, 2011, 09:34 PM
Born in early 1945. The Marines were fighting on Iwo Jima as I breathed by first. Two years ago I decided to undertake a serious exercize program. Joined a club. Went every other day. Weights, exercize matt. Sit-ups. Watched my diet. Rode my bike. Got up to 70 situps. lifting 200 lbs for three reps of 10. Curles with 35 lbs and three sets.

After six months, I almost crippled myself. My back has not recovered. Went to my doc and told him what I had been doing. "Why'd you do that?" He exclaimed. I said my back and shoulders hurt. He said, "Stay off that bike". "My back hurts like hell", I said. "Stop doing those sit-ups", he said.

Moral of the story? Quit the excerise after about 50. Drink more. Sleep late. Hold off on the burgers. Read more. Enjoy life. Take short hikes. Try not to break a sweat, that's for the young infantry types. When you feel the urge to join a health club? Stifle it. It's bad for you. Heavy excercise is good when you were a young man, but today? Screw it. Your body will tell you it's bad for you. Listen to it.

chieftain
September 26, 2011, 12:04 AM
"After age 60 if you wake up in the morning with no pain, there is a reasonable argument that you died during the night."

I don't know who first said that, but I agree with it. Assuming you did anything at all as a young man.

Go Figure.

Fred

Jim Watson
September 26, 2011, 12:20 AM
I am of Germster's generation.
I was pretty well preserved and doing about everything I liked until The Incident of 1/30/10.
I spent a big part of yesterday and today at the IDPA range with pretty good results but the bad foot is pretty sore from clomping around on rocky ground. I expect my hands to be achy tomorrow from the recoil, but it won't be severe or long lasting. I'll be back in action later this week and competing on the weekend. That's why I am shooting a 9mm instead of a .45 and a .40-65 instead of a .45-70.

chriske
September 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
And here I was, thinking I'd gone soft or something, until I was diagnosed as having arthritis in both thumbs.
So it's not so much recoil as actually gripping my handguns that got painful, of late.
All this did make me rediscover the Pure Fun of Rimfire Shooting !
As for larger calibers : "less more often" as stated earlier, works for me.

(Diclofenac, BTW, although it mighr help, is very hard on stomach, liver & kidneys !)

Germster
September 28, 2011, 12:07 AM
I shoot all kinds of pistols, but nothing heavier than a .45 ACP. I practice with a .22 and I've got a bunch of those. I find the Ruger MkI and II to be excellent pistols with which to practice. Then I'll pick up a High Power or maybe a 1911, but only for a few shots.

My wrists are fine, my back hurts like hell and I can't hear a thing. I love watching beautiful girls, but for the life of my I can't recall what I used to do with them. Oh, well it'll come to me.

Germster
September 28, 2011, 01:46 PM
Since I have retired, I am 65 now, I go every third year to Arlington. At my age surgery, arthritis and abused muscles are a problem. Last year our kids got together, bought plane tickets and took my wife and I to Washington DC. The smithsonian, the capitol, the monuments were fantastic. I was getting achy and tired when we went to Arlington. There once again I walked the Wall. I am still old sore and slow. There is this consolation though, I have remembered how I got this way, those who were with me then, and those who rest.

blindhari
Sgt Ranger
Like My Father Before Me
Bout a decade ago my wife and I visited DC and the Wall. It was a beautiful, bright sunny day. The Wall is large. One of my very best buddies has his name carved right at the apex. He was one of the last to go. The Honor Man of our platoon lasted three days. His name is there too. My wife asked me if I'd be okay? I said, that I'd be fine, no worry.

There were quite a few people wandering around. Kids were leaning long stemmed red roses against the base of the wall. I said to my wife, "What's with all of the flowers?" She replied, "It's Father's Day".

I lost it.

The Real Wyatt
September 29, 2011, 12:52 AM
Forget the GSG 1911-22.
I just bought one and it is absolute junk.
It shoots okay, but everything else about it is VERY poor quality.
The finish on the gun is waaay worse than any Hi-Point, Jennings or Raven.
Avoid this gun.

I don't expect this importer to be in business much longer. Importing and selling junk guns in a down economy just ain't gonna work.

Sky
September 29, 2011, 01:26 AM
Forget the GSG 1911-22

I just ordered one today!!! Hope mine is a tad bit better!

Doubting Thomas
September 29, 2011, 10:48 PM
68 here. Have had two rotator cuff surgeries now, one each side. For the moment I am ok with the old faithful 1911, but don't do much from the leather any more and keep it to about three mags for fun. Like some others here I buy my .22s by the case; got my Colt conversion unit in 1974, a M18 Smith in 1982, and most recently invested in a 15-22.

I don't do recoil any more. Sold off a nice pre-70 Model 70 .375 with regret years ago; gave my 870 riot gun to my son, and I'm afraid my .30 cal. service rifles are just going to be a fond memory. Eyes, positions, and general heft are against much more of that. Just glad I did it when I could. Haven't fired a .44 Mag in years, and I don't think you could pay me to now.

Heck, I've even come to appreciate the humble Model 10 Smith and Wesson. I just hope I can keep on plinking with one thing or another for a while yet. Onward thru the fog.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ouch! Old Age Stinks!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!