Question on a used Ruger Vaquero

PDA

igotta40
September 19, 2011, 09:50 PM
I'm looking at a pre owned New Vaquero at a local shop, does anyone know of, or have info on the Ruger factory warranty, and how it may or may not cover the firearm should I run into problems with it down the road?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on a used Ruger Vaquero" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iflyem1
September 19, 2011, 10:51 PM
I have bought old Rugers and never had a problem with ruger taking care of any issues I had.
I don't think Ruger has a written warranty to speak of. They are just known for taking care of the problem if one should arise.

BCCL
September 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
^what he said, I've never heard of Ruger even asking "are you the original owner".

Ruger's customer service is some of the best in the industry.

CraigC
September 20, 2011, 12:31 AM
Ruger has no warranty but their reputation for taking care of their customers is legendary. No matter how many owners the gun has had. Buy with confidence.

JellyJar
September 20, 2011, 01:37 AM
I bought a used Blackhawk 45 convertible way back in the mid 80s. I should have not bought it because the transfer bar was partially broken and it would not always fire. I kept it for 20 years anyway and two years ago I sent it to Ruger for repairs. They fixed it for free, shipped it back to me for no cost and even put on new wood grips because the old ones did not fit properly. All gratis!!!

Ruger CS is very good!

bannockburn
September 20, 2011, 06:33 AM
igotta40

A friend of mine several years ago bought a used stainless .44 Magnum Vaquero that had a front sight that was slightly canted to the right. The place where he bought it from sent it back to Ruger for repair and they determined that the barrel had been improperly installed on the frame. Only problem was Ruger no longer made the large frame Vaquero and did not have any barrels left to replace it with. So Ruger custom made a barrel for his gun, installed it, and because the finish on the barrel didn't quite match the rest of the gun, they polished the entire gun so that it looked liked bright nickel! In my opinion, Ruger definitely went the extra mile, and more, to make things right for a customer.

RevDerb
September 20, 2011, 07:01 AM
5.25WHY NO WARRANTY CARD HAS BEEN
PACKED WITH THIS NEW RUGER FIREARM
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any
seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written
warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be
designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a
“full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to
provide any written warranty, either “limited” or “full”, rather than to
attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and
the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied
warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As
the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from
state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger &
Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in
providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

Lawdawg45
September 20, 2011, 07:13 AM
"I'm looking at a pre owned New Vaquero at a local shop,"

Just a word of warning, the new models will not handle hot ammo like the OMV, and if you plan to use it for hunting and/or self defense, you might keep that in mind before you purchase.;)

madcratebuilder
September 20, 2011, 09:53 AM
"I'm looking at a pre owned New Vaquero at a local shop,"

Just a word of warning, the new models will not handle hot ammo like the OMV, and if you plan to use it for hunting and/or self defense, you might keep that in mind before you purchase.;)
I think factory .45LC well take care of most typical hand gun hunting and SD just fine. You are not going to be able to shoot the .45+P+ hand loads with the NV like the OMV.

Silent Sam
September 20, 2011, 10:31 AM
That applies only to the 45 Colt New Vaqueros

igotta40
September 20, 2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it looks like a purchase is imminent. Picture to follow!

igotta40
September 20, 2011, 10:39 PM
Well here it is... Thanks again for all the replies!

wgp
September 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
Must be contagious -- tomorrow I'm looking a a .45LC Vaquero Bisley. My hand prefers the Bisley grip and I don't see them very often.

BCCL
September 21, 2011, 12:05 AM
igotta40, nice SA. I had a chance on a New Vaquero just like that, before they stopped making them with the CCH finish, and passed. Have regretted it since!

igotta40
September 21, 2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the compliments, but now then my question is... When did they stop making the Color Case Hardened (finish)? Since I bought it used, I have no idea when it was manufactured. I'll contact Ruger with the same question...

I only bought it hours ago, so I haven't tried it out yet, but DANG the action's slicker'n snot on a glass doorknob!

BTW it's a .45LC caliber. Dad has a stainless .44 Magnum and he doesn't like it much. With the small grip, his bear paw hands, and the recoil of the .44 Mag, it's uncomfortable for him to shoot. Thought I would throw that out there for others to chime in.... but he did say mine looks more like a 'real cowboy gun' than his. So I said I guess I'll have to get a pair of the stainless ones and a double gun belt so I'll have a set of "Dress up goin' to church guns"... he laughed out loud at that!!

Lawdawg45
September 21, 2011, 08:56 AM
Beautiful gun! It looks like you've caught the fever, your next urge will be to trade that AR in for an 1860 Henry.:D

LD

BCCL
September 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
If you go here, you can look up when it was made by the serial number.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

Ruger stopped using the CCH finish shortly after the New Vaquero models came out, and went to an all blue finish, because some folks had reports of their CCH finish rusting. (Ruger's CCH is not a true color case hardened finish, but a surface finish that tries to look like CCH)

Although I've never had a problem with my original Vaquero's rusting.

If your dad has one in .44 magnum, that isn't a "New Vaquero", but a "Vaquero", built on the larger frame. Does your .45 say "Vaquero" or "New Vaquero" on the frame?

CraigC
September 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
That's a large frame Vaquero, not a New Vaquero. Ruger stopped doing the color case finish well into New Vaquero production, which began in 2005.

BCCL
September 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks Craig, I thought it looked pretty large next to that box of shells! :)

igotta40
September 21, 2011, 01:26 PM
BCCL, thanks, and yep, according to the Ruger database this revolver I just bought was made in 1994.

Lawdawg45
September 21, 2011, 04:35 PM
"BCCL, thanks, and yep, according to the Ruger database this revolver I just bought was made in 1994."

Good news, your OMV is a much stronger gun. Load it with whatever you want!

LD

BCCL
September 21, 2011, 05:21 PM
BCCL, thanks, and yep, according to the Ruger database this revolver I just bought was made in 1994.

LOL, I've got the same gun from the same year!

1994 Original Vaquero with aftermarket grips.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/Bear_Claw_Chris_Lappe/Gun%20Collection/Single%20Action%20Sixguns/1.jpg

igotta40
September 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
What a coincidence... I like those grips, it's exactly what I had in mind. Are they still available?

BCCL
September 21, 2011, 06:52 PM
What a coincidence... I like those grips, it's exactly what I had in mind. Are they still available?

Yep, they are from Private's Custom Grips. Those are his "Antique Paper Micarta" grips.

http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/Order_XR3Red_Grips.html

He does great work, I also have a set of his American Cherry on my Blackhawk.

igotta40
September 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks BCCL, good information. Hopefully I'll get to take this to the range this weekend. It seems sometimes I buy guns more often than I shoot them...

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on a used Ruger Vaquero" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!