Molon Labe tatoo

PDA

nsf003
January 27, 2003, 09:34 PM
Does anyone have one? I want to get one across by back right between my shoulders. So you can see it while wrestling, kind of a "come and take your victory, if you can" challenge. I want it in origional greek lettering too.

My parents won't let me though. Just a thought.

nsf

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Labe tatoo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
January 27, 2003, 09:45 PM
You could always do it in permanent marker before a match.

Greg

Zander
January 27, 2003, 09:55 PM
My parents won't let me though. Just a thought.Pay attention to your parents...you'll thank them in a decade or so.

nsf003
January 27, 2003, 10:25 PM
I do for the most part. I thank them now.

nsf

Kahr carrier
January 27, 2003, 10:37 PM
Sounds cool ,though remember tattoos last a lifetime.:D :what:

kalibear45
January 27, 2003, 10:38 PM
I was thinking about getting ODERINT DUM METUANT (Let them hate, as long as they fear) in old english lettering on my back across my shoulder blades but the pain and maintenance afterwards is making me think twice about it. Well, okay I actually don't mind the pain but you gotta take care of it for a month afterwards. I think I'll just stick with my 4 that I got now :evil:

Just don't go around getting your girlfriend's name tattoed on your body though :D

chaim
January 28, 2003, 12:27 AM
Just don't go around getting your girlfriend's name tattoed on your body though Or you could be sure to only date girls with the same name or new variations of the same name:i.e. date a few lisas, then lisa maries, then... adding the variation as you date new women.

Seriously, before I became religious (no tattoos in my religion) I thought about getting one when I was younger. What stopped me when I was 21 and I was thinking really seriously about it was I just thought about the kind of tattoo I wanted at 17 or 18 and thought about the fact that it would have been perminant (I would have been really unhappy with my choices at 17 or 18). Then I realized that there was a very good chance that the tattoo I wanted at 21 I would probably not want in a few years either (I figured then that I would rather have had something else- I didn't even count on the fact that now I'm very glad to not have any). Every couple years after that when I started thinking about it I could just think back at the same thing and it kept me from ever doing it.

Freedom in theSkies
January 28, 2003, 02:30 AM
Sounds cool ,though remember tattoos last a lifetime.

So does gun ownership...:cool:

I was going to get one, but the artist could'nt find the font...

What IS the proper font?

:confused:

Okiecruffler
January 28, 2003, 05:03 AM
I'm getting mine as soon as I figure out where to put it. I got my first when I was 17, a really old faded looking bass clef on my left bicep, and I've never regretted it. But there's an awful lot of people walking around with tats on their bums that seemed like a good idea at the time.

illuminatus99
January 28, 2003, 07:10 AM
I almost had "redde victor aut redde in scuto" (go home victorious or go home on your shield) tattooed on my shoulder but I chickened out. I like the molon labe idea though

anchored
January 28, 2003, 10:20 AM
http://www.auction45.com/images/molonsmall.gif

cuchulainn
January 28, 2003, 10:20 AM
Be 100% sure that:

A) It is something you will always want on your body.
B) It is in a place that you will never regret.

My wife got her college mascot just above her ankle. She's now a successful professional, but the tattoo has limited her choices in professional clothing. She's getting it removed (though she's still a rabid fan of their football team).

Tattoo: ~$120

Tattoo removal: $400/per visit and 5-to-10 visits ($2,000 - $4,000).

After 5 visits, most of the colors are gone. One color still persists, but it is pale enought that she can wear some hose. She'll probably need 2 or 3 more visits.

Oh, and you think GETTING a tattoo is painful? Essentially, for removal, the doctor boils the skin just under the outer layer with a laser.

NewShooter78
January 28, 2003, 10:38 AM
Take it very seriously. I've only got one tatoo so far, but I really love it. Its something that is reminicent of a great time in my life, so I will never regret having it. But I don't have any religious convictions that would also not allow it. I think in Judism that you can't be burried in a Jewish cemetary if you are tatooed. But barring those kind of circumstances, if you really want to get one put a lot of thought into it.

It took me two years to decide on my design. It was something custom done, and its something you won't see on anyone else either. I currently have two designs that I want done, but I can't find a good graphic designer to draw them up. Also, don't be afraid to shell out some extra cash to ensure the quality of the tatoo. The shop I went to smelled more sterile than my dentist's office! But if you do get it, make sure to post some pics once the swelling and scabbing goes away.

Detritus
January 28, 2003, 11:42 AM
Some things to ALWAYS keep in mind when thinking of a tattoo....

it is FOREVER so make damned sure the image ect. is something you'll want to have on yo for the rest of your life. do NOT get a tat on the spur of the moment Currently i have a single tattoo, i want more (keep this in mind too tats can be addictive, more on that in a minute), but i have tossed out a number of designs b/c while the original idea was cool, after sitting on it for a a few weeks/month(s) the appeal passed.

never get a tattoo of a name, cept maybe your kid's name or teh name of your dog/cat but be careful even then. what if the relationship with that person ends or otherwise turns sour? you don't want a constant reminder of what a jerk that person was, and what a FOOL you were for putting their name on your body.

shop around for a REALLY good shop. like newshooter said, the place should be as clean if not cleaner than your dentist's office! remember that during the precess it's self the tattoo is an open wound. so look for places that are bright, well scrubbed, the workers are clean ect. avoid the "open bay" style shops where the artists and their work stations are lined up like chairs at a barber shop. take the time to observe how things are done in the shop. watch for things like someone answering the phone with their gloves on then going back to work without a glove change, eating in the work space (when my wife got her first tat we left a shop b/c we saw both these no-no's in less than 3 mins)

in otherwords if YOU don't feel completly at ease with both the shop and the artist then look elsewhere.

finally, on the subject of "getting just one" if you manage that one you're a rare bird indeed!! tattoos are addictive. probably has something to do with the endorphine release that it causes. but for most folks it's lays potato chips, "bet ya can't get just one"

well that's a portion of my take on this, i could ramble on for hours giving all teh info i was given before i went in to get mine.

Mastrogiacomo
January 28, 2003, 12:27 PM
You think it's cool now, you may think otherwise in ten years. Also your future girlfriend might not like it -- or her parents. If you have kids at some point, they may be embarrassed by it when other parents accidently see your markings by the pool. Your co-workers will probably think less of you -- provided you don't work at a record store. I got a navel ring myself. Why not consider something like this? At least it can be a fashion statement for a while and then be removed...tattoos are sometimes a lifetime statement for a moment of stupidity. My advice -- think ahead beyond your friends reactions and into next week. Try looking down the line when maturity catches up.

Ebbtide
January 28, 2003, 12:30 PM
If we do our work correctly, "Malon Lobe" may not have any significant meaning in years to come. You might want to consider something else. Don't forget, tatoos are permament reminders of temporary feelings and trends.

On a side note, I knew a guy in the Navy who became so upset at his tatoos he poured table salt on them and "cleaned" them off with an industrial wire brush. He woke from his drunk in so much pain he went into shock and later got to go to Captain Mass.

Mastrogiacomo
January 28, 2003, 12:36 PM
Damn that's sad, and painful! :uhoh: Too bad laser wasn't around for him then. Or should I say, too bad his common sense wasn't. You know, there's always temporary tattoos...you can make a statement without losing common sense. An option?

January 28, 2003, 12:47 PM
I have two pieces of advice on tatoos. The first one will go in one ear and out the other. The second one is probably more palatable.
#1) Dont get one. I have two. Both were very well done, I paid a fairly substantial amount of money for them at the time so I could get something good, and I think they look great (for a tatoo). But I wish I didn't have them. It doesn't keep me awake at night or anything, but if I could go back in time 20+ years ago, I wouldn't get one.
#2) Knowing you won't listen to advice #1, get the tatoo where it can be easily concealed. That way, you can show it off when it is appropriate and cover it when it isn't appropriate. I have a tatoo on my left upper arm. I got it high enough that when I wear a short sleeved shirt you can't see it. But if I want to, I can wear a tank top or whatever and it is clearly visible. I never understood the point in getting a tatoo on your back. You can't see it, and let's face it, not many people really care about your tatoo in a postitive way. Sure some people will think it is cool, but whether you admit it or not, you are getting it for yourself. Get it where you can see it.

An example of inappropriate; I was working the other day with a guy that is 62 years old. He has a tatoo of the grim reaper on his inner forearm that I am sure he got a very long time ago. I am sure at the time he thought it was great. I am sure he thought that it showed everyone what a bad *** he was. I work as a paramedic. How does that look to a patient when the guy working on them has a tatoo of the grim reaper on his arm ?

Steve Smith
January 28, 2003, 12:50 PM
I have another tattoo thread going now. One thing you'll want to do is have it in a place that you can cover it easily when in a professional environment. IOW, your forehead, throat, and forearms are basically off limits. :D

spacemanspiff
January 28, 2003, 12:50 PM
for those who want to get 'Molon Labe' inked, you may want to think twice about using original fonts. tattoos that use straight lines never look as good on skin as you might have anticipated.

if you really must have straight lines in the font of 'Molon Labe', see about getting a crest to go around the words. it might help make it more aesthetically pleasing.

IAJack
January 28, 2003, 05:12 PM
Here is how TFL made its mark on me. I never posted very much there but sure read alot and am proud to make this my 1st post here.

Not a great pic, but have you ever tried to take one of yourself..nevermind

http://atlas.imagemagician.com/images/iajack/Molon_Labe.JPG

Carbon_15
January 28, 2003, 05:24 PM
I have always wanted a tatoo, but have been afraid i would get tired of whatever design I got. I never though about Molon Labe as a tatoo.
Hmmmm
Perhaps I'll be getting inked in a short while. Atleast no the wife can't talk me out of it:evil:

MitchSchaft
January 28, 2003, 05:37 PM
Nice, Jack :D.

skyder
January 28, 2003, 05:43 PM
Tattoo
ancient term that means "permanent proof of temporary insanity"
Think it through before deciding.

SemperFi83
February 3, 2003, 03:59 PM
Just one...

USMC - on right bicep. Never regretted it.

PATH
February 3, 2003, 05:05 PM
As they say, A tatto is something you can take wuth you when you leave this mortal coil!":D

braindead0
February 3, 2003, 05:11 PM
Just one here, barcode from a 12oz can of spam on my left shoulder. Never regretted it, thinking about elbow macaroni knotwork and perhaps crossed foons to finish it off!

(seriously, I do and am)

AR-10
February 3, 2003, 06:48 PM
I thought foons were called sporks.:confused:

ImJustRick
February 21, 2003, 03:04 PM
Hi, all-

First post, nice to have a new place to go now that TFL is kaput.

Many of you mentioned that whatever you get today you might regret in years to come. I have to disagree. I have one that is really out of place on me now but that I look at and remember how important my affiliation with the organization was once.

Aww, heck, it's basically a sort of gang tattoo. That's not it exactly, but close enough.

So anyhow, even though I'm not a member anymore, I am happy that I have it and that it is a part of who I was once.

The only time I could possibly regret it is if I, like Chaim, suddenly became religious (we share a religion). But I tried that for the first part of my life and I'm pretty sure it's not going to work out, so why not get inked?

I guess I'm rambling. My point is, it's a permanent reminder of something that was important to you once. I think "Molon Labe" is a cool tattoo.

-R
---
Glad I never did get HOSTILE across my lower back

spacemanspiff
February 21, 2003, 03:16 PM
i'm of the opinion that getting inked isnt something you just do on a whim. you have to realize that getting drunk and making the decision to get a tatt isnt always a good idea.
plus, i see way too many people who have designs that have no meaning whatsoever other than 'i saw it in the flash pages and thought it looked cool'. thats why i drew my own designs, and sure, someone else has probably drawn it before, but i had it inked with my own flaws so i can still call it 'original',

ahadams
February 21, 2003, 11:57 PM
tatoos were one of the few stupid guy things I managed to avoid doing at least once...I think it was the guy in the barracks who kept getting a larger tatoo everytime he got a different girl friend....

I'm sure glad *now* that I didn't give in to the temptation *then*!

CZ-75
February 22, 2003, 12:18 AM
I think in Judaism that you can't be burried in a Jewish cemetary if you are tatooed.

Well, Adolf created several million exceptions then.

Think of Mike Tyson's new tattoo when you think about getting one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Labe tatoo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!