SA for CC?

PDA

Ash_J_Williams
September 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
I'm looking into a .44, and most within a justifiable price range are single actions. I'd occasionally like to carry it, but mostly just own and shoot it. When I practice, I generally do single action, anyway. Most of my stuff is single action. I'm wondering how many here carry with an SA.

If you enjoyed reading about "SA for CC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tallinar
September 20, 2011, 12:12 PM
I do.

You'll find that several folks do, but it's obviously a minority. There have been a few other recent threads discussing this.

As with any gun, be sure you practice a lot, and understand the challenges that exist with an SA revolver that don't exist with other guns (more manipulation required to operate and reload, etc).

I doubt that I will carry one all my life, but I don't feel at all insecure with it.

Lawdawg45
September 20, 2011, 12:38 PM
No hesitation whatsoever, carried a .45 Colt Sheriff's model for years. Currently looking for a full size old model Vaquero to fill the void.;)

owlhoot
September 21, 2011, 01:42 AM
I live in the country so I carry a SAA Colt each evening when the dog and I go for a walk. I've never yet run into another person or an aggressive animal on these walks. So the SA goes along simply because I love the gun. If I were taking my walks on the mean streets of some city, I'd probably make another choice.

Bob Mernickle makes a pretty good concealment holster for the SA.

Lawdawg45
September 21, 2011, 07:53 AM
"Bob Mernickle makes a pretty good concealment holster for the SA."

Agreed, but the one in my picture is a Don Hume made for the 29 S&W and cost $20!;)

Tallinar
September 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
I ordered a Sourdough Pancake holster from Simply Rugged (http://www.simplyrugged.com/) early this month for my .44 special 3.75" New Vaquero. I'm hoping it will arrive in the next couple weeks.

My decision had been narrowed down to that or a Mernickle PS6SA. I decided on the Simply Rugged because I like that it can be carried IWB as well as OWB strongside/crossdraw; and because I prefer the fact that more of the gun is enveloped/protected by the holster - including the trigger guard. I know that protecting the trigger guard while in the holster is not a huge concern with an SA revolver, but it does make me feel more secure.

The Mernickle, I would theorize, allows for a faster draw and presentation, given that the trigger guard is exposed, and there is a "slot" in the front that allows the barrel to clear leather faster if carried strongside.

savit260
September 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yup, Blackhawk in a Simply Rugged.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/savit260/Picture057.jpg

Lawdawg45
September 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
Ash,

Check out Gunsite and other shooting academies, they have defensive pistol courses using the SA. Sheriff Jim Wilson has a couple of articles in Shooting Times magazine I believe that also deal with this subject. I saw a story a few weeks back on Guns n Ammo TV (I think) that instructed how to use a lever action as a combat weapon, and the 30-30 delivered some devastating shots at up to 50 yards from behind cover........very impressive.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "SA for CC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!