A-Max For Deer Hunting?

PDA

parker51
September 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
Was doing some internet searching for .243 bullets over 100gr. that would be suitable for deer hunting and found a lot of folks recommending Hornady A-Max bullets for deer hunting. I checked on Hornady's web site and they indicate the A-Max bullet is for target shooting and not hunting. I've found them very accurate in my 270 and 308 for punching holes in paper, but have not tried them for deer hunting. Does anyone here load them for their deer hunting rounds? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "A-Max For Deer Hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
billyjoe
September 20, 2011, 11:05 PM
I've taken two deer with them in the past using a 6mm Rem. Both shots were about 150 yards on good size does and both feel in their tracks. The bullets do a lot of internal damage though so exspect to lose a little meat. I now use 90gr Nosler BT's and they work just as well with less meat damage.

ArchAngelCD
September 21, 2011, 12:07 AM
From what I know about A-max bullets is they are "match" bullets and will not expand like bullets made for hunting. You would be better served with a different bullet for hunting like the Hornady InterBond or InterLock or good hunting bullets from other manufacturers.

For Deer I like the Sierra GameKing or Remington Core-Lokt bullet. I use the GameKings because I can practice with their MatchKing and hunt with the same weight GameKing bullet without modifying my load or scope settings. For tougher game I would recommend a Premium bullet.

snakeman
September 21, 2011, 12:11 AM
You will lose meat. However, their almost instant delivery of all of their energy makes them a good choice for deer. That said, I would not under any circumstances shoot a deer that was not broadside with this bullet. I shot a bobcat with these bullets out of a 22-250 and although it took half of the cat with it, the bullet blew up like a callgirls phone on valentines day!

GooseGestapo
September 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
The Berger "Hunting" VLD's are very similar.

Both are very "long" for weight and are made with thin jackets (for accuracy-concentricty) and therefore expand (disintegrate) readily.

The Berger's have been well documented to penetrate ~3" and then destabilize and fragment causing massive wound cavities.

Sierra's Match Kings will often do this, but also almost as often fail to expand/break-up and leave a wounded animal and long blood trail. Impact velocity/distance to target obviously has something to do with this.

Berger suggests using the "thinner jacketed" hence "Hunting" VLD's for hunting. I've used them and the one's I've taken game with worked as "advertised". Not something I'd trust a $xxxx.xx hunt too, but they did work from my .257Robt and .257wby as "advertised" on ~100-140lb whitetail does.

I've also heard of people using the A-Max's to good effect. But, since Hornady also makes an extensive line of equally good "Hunting" bullets, I doubt that they will "suggest" you use a bullet that can be "questionable" as a game bullet to use for such a purpose.
I suggest you use a GameKing or InterBond or such. Better than "experimenting" with a match bullet for big-game hunting. especially if such might "bite" back.....
YMMV.

USSR
September 21, 2011, 07:55 AM
I have found the 178gr .30 caliber Amax bullet to be an excellent bullet for deer at .308 and .30-06 velocities. As for any other Amax bullets, you would have to do some testing.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "A-Max For Deer Hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!