Ruger Bisley Vs. SBH

PDA

ozzyrules
January 26, 2004, 05:28 PM
If you could choose either one which would you take? Both guns in the 44 mag caliber. I need feedback on the following topics:
1. Price
2. Comfort
3. Strength
4. Accuracy
(in no order)
I am looking at the 7.5" models of each and just can't decide which i want. I figured i might as well take the choice to the pros.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Bisley Vs. SBH" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nextjoe
January 26, 2004, 05:49 PM
Strength and accuracy will be the same, except for the normal variation between mass-produced items. I find the Bisley grip frame more comfortable, and the general consensus is that the Bisley handles recoil much better, due to the grip shape.

Best,
Joe

DennisE
January 26, 2004, 05:54 PM
I love my Bisley! Compared to the SBH I shoot it more accurately because I can get a much better grip on it and it handles recoil much better! Dennis

BlkHawk73
January 26, 2004, 06:22 PM
1. Price - about equal if you look around

2. Comfort - Bisley grip more core confortable for most when using heavier loads

3. Strength - both built on same frame

4. Accuracy - same componets except for gripframe, trigger & hammer so it's all up to the shooter.

They do have the SBH Bisley Hunter with a 7 1/2" ribbed bbl which fullfills all you mentioned. You also can still find a few of the SS 5 1/2" Bisleys around if you look.

cratz2
January 28, 2004, 11:56 AM
Yeah... I was going to mention that they offer the standard SBH with the dragoon (?) type grip and a SBH with a Bisley grip.

In my opinion, in 44 Magnum, in the big, heavy SHBs, if you shoot standard to hot factory (ie not Garrett or Buffalo Bore) ammo, the grips don't feel that different to me as far as recoil transmission goes, but the hotter ammo, the Bisley grip feels a bit more controlled to me. Of course, I knew it was supposed to help curtail recoil before I compared them so maybe it's psychological.

:p

January 28, 2004, 03:52 PM
All factors are the same with the exception of comfort. The two guns are the exact same except for the hammer trigger and gripframe, the Bisley also has engraving on the cylinder. The comfort factor is subjective to the shooter so another persons opinion doesn't help a lot, it comes down to preference.

My personal opinion having owned and shot both is that I like the Bisley. It feels better in my hand and the perception of recoil is less to me. My Bisley .44 is a 5.5" stainless special edition, that I dearly love.

J.M.
January 28, 2004, 07:39 PM
If your hands are shaped like mine, you'll prefer the SBH Dragoon gripframe.

The last Bisley that I had (and I've had a few) I swapped out the Bisley parts for some SBH parts and worked it over into the best deer gun I've ever had in the Michigan woods.

You can see pics here: http://www.sixgunner.com/archive/guests/packin_pistol.htm

Shoot them both (if you can) and decide for yourself - I shot Bisleys for years (because I always heard that they were better) the first Super Dragoon I shot proved me wrong.

Hope this helps - JM.

Jim March
January 28, 2004, 08:14 PM
The original SBH grip frame is the same size as the "Dragoon" and compatible with Dragoon grip panels, but with a rounded triggerguard. For those that like the large SBH plowhandle grips, the Hunter grip frame is the "holy grail".

You'll sometimes come across original squareback grip frames that have been cut and welded into a round-trigger-guard shape, with varying degrees of cosmetic appeal.

January 29, 2004, 02:52 PM
I own a number of Blackhawks including the Super Blackhawk. I bought them all before the Bisley existed in the Ruger line-up.
If I was starting over, give me the Bisley every time.

caz223
January 31, 2004, 06:12 AM
Agreed.
That being said, I'm not selling my blackhawks!

Stainz
January 31, 2004, 07:25 AM
My dealer still has a both the SBH Hunter and the SBH Bisley Hunter - and at the same price. I still like them both... although I really like my only Bisley - that 5.5" SS in .45 Colt. I just bought a new BHG Vaquero in .45 Colt - and put a Bisley Hammer on it the day it arrived... that hammer is as nice as the grip!

Stainz

charleym3
January 31, 2004, 01:47 PM
Bisley no question. The grip is much more comfortable for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Bisley Vs. SBH" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!