New Win. 94 .30-.30, peened breech.

PDA

Bobarino
January 26, 2004, 05:29 PM
bought a new (used) rifle this weekend from a friendly gent here on TheHighRoad, a model 94 Ranger in .30-.30. i'm very pleased with the condidtion of the rifle, and it came with a 3-9x scope and a partial box of ammo for $200. i couldn't pass it up. i've wanted a lever action rifle since i was just a wee lad. incidentally, it was nice to meet a HighRoader. he was nice fellow. he drove an hour each way in the snow to meet me half way so i could buy his rifle. i thought that was pretty nice of him.

upon examination of the rifle, the only flaw i can find in it, is a ding on the breech end of the barrel that has peened a tiny bur into the chamber. is it ok to just get a fine rat tail file and get rid of it? the gun functions fine, it just leaves a small scratch all the way down the shell when its loaded. i can't see any reason to pay a gunsmith to do it. just want to know what ya'll thought. a few light strokes with the file should be all it takes. any dangers in doing this? this is assuming of course, that i can figure out how to disassemble the thing enough to have straight access to the breech. i'm going to have to find an online instruction manual for it. or order one from Winchester. thanks for any input.

Bobby

If you enjoyed reading about "New Win. 94 .30-.30, peened breech." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
January 26, 2004, 08:41 PM
In spite of its popularity, the Model 94 is not that easy to take down. USRAC will send you a manual, or here is a link to a little better book:

http://www.rayrilingarmsbooks.com/cgi-bin/rrb455.cgi/4901.html

I really don't recommend taking that rifle apart without a book or some experience. See if you can find or make an angled rod with a slot in it that you can insert some emery cloth in and use to take off that little burr.

Jim

Bobarino
January 26, 2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the link Jim. i'll have to invest in that.

i was thinking the same thing as you in regards making an angled piece of rod and wrapping some emery cloth around it, or just get a cheap file and bend it the way i want it. i think that will be the easiest route. i'm anxious to take it to the range and check it out, but want to correct this little problem first. thanks again.

Bobby

foghornl
January 27, 2004, 01:36 PM
The emery cloth seems like the best solution proposed, so far. As to bending a cheapy file, every time I bend a file, it snaps.

Maybe the very small so-called 'needle files'?

Bobarino
January 27, 2004, 03:57 PM
the emery cloth worked. i wrapped a small pice of it around a Bic Stic and bent it to the angle i needed and gently sanded it away. it turns out, that peening was actually caused by the extractor. there is a notch for the extarcor to sit in when the action is closed and if its closed with any force while there is no shell in there, it will peen the metal into the chamber at the thin spot of the notch. so the solution is to close the action gently when there is no round being chambered. now that i have that little thing taken care of, its time for a trip to the range. i just ordered some fibre optic sights for it, so as soon as i get those and install them, i'll take it out and shoot it. thanks for the advice all.

Bobby

If you enjoyed reading about "New Win. 94 .30-.30, peened breech." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!