Carrying a Pistol Perceived as Antisocial?

PDA

SharpsDressedMan
September 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
How many of you actually don't mind that some people will shy away from you if they know you are armed, or when you are are carrying openly? I, for one, often prefer that those who don't like guns (ordon't like people that carry guns) just stay away from me. I don't like getting into defensive or heated arguments about gun rights, being armed, etc (contrary to what my wife believes :D), so if a conversation that I carry or endorse being armed comes up, and the other party become anxious or negative, I just prefer to also avoid them. I guess I use being armed, or advocating gun rights to separate the people I DO prefer to be around from those that I don't. Sometimes it isn't real obvious, but I can usually tell if someone is "turned off" by the presence of guns, or the presence of a pro-2nd Amendment person. Do any of you do the same thing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying a Pistol Perceived as Antisocial?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Loosedhorse
September 21, 2011, 06:36 PM
How many of you actually don't mind that some people will shy away from you if they know you are armedI think that would mean they're antisocial, not me. It doesn't take a gun: I've gotten stares if I'm looking through American Handgunner or American Rifleman in public!

There are many reasons an anti would be antisocial toward a gun-carrier. Fear. Disgust. A deep-seated belief that the carrier is a murderer who just hasn't happened to murder anyone, yet.

Or shame. They know somewhere they also should be talking responsibility for their own safety, but they don't.

If you want to confuse the heck out of them, be friendly, open. "Hey, there. Nice day, huh?" (Dont' approach or stick your hand out: that's "aggressive.")

In my experience, meeting a gunnie who is nice, friendly, and open is baffling to them; it doesn't fit any of their stereotypes about gun-owners.

The typical response I get? "So, you're a cop?"

"No." :)

agtman
September 21, 2011, 08:01 PM
*** In my experience, meeting a gunnie who is nice, friendly, and open is baffling to them; it doesn't fit any of their stereotypes about gun-owners.
The typical response I get? "So, you're a cop?"
"No."

Or, there's my wife's response to a similar question ("Why do you carry a pistol?"):

"Because I can't carry a cop." ;)

As if she had to justify it to anyone ... :rolleyes: :fire:

Maia007
September 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
That's a thougthful question, Sharps, so thanks for asking.

I don't carry openly except in the woods. I don't reveal that I carry to anyone except those I trust and who know me well and accept me for who I am. Likewise I don't share my passion for shooting with everyone I know....just the potentially receptive types. Believe me, there are plenty of "us" around. It's not like we are an oppressed minority.

I don't feel the need to proselitize my politics or to justify my life-choices to anyone. Period.

Those who don't approve of the way I live can KMA. Period. That goes for everyone, at least in the abstract.

That said, once I gain knowledge of an anti sentiment from an acquaintenance, I avoid gun discussion, and, in severe cases, further non-essential contact with them. And I don't have serious misgivings about the loss of that kind of company. But that depends. It is better to focus on what we have in common than on areas where we differ. And I think it is healthy, in general, to have friends of all manner of persuasions. But if someone insists on being insufferable, then to H with them. One always must continue to make new friends anyway. Such is the way of the world.

I don't suffer fools and I refuse to argue with one.

I have in-laws that are antis and California tree huggers.....and I cannot simply refuse to have nothing to do with them. But I don't engage in discussion with them on this topic, nor do I indulge them with banter should they bring it up. In other words, I don't bait them nor do I rise to their bait. I don't criticize their opinions nor do I openly disapprove of their life choices. And, given the strength of my character and given that they have learned what I am willing to lay on the line for my beliefs and life choices, they've decided for themselves that perhaps it is best for them to keep a respectful and courteous distance from me in this regard.

Live and let live. But don't tread on me.

ArchAngelCD
September 22, 2011, 05:56 AM
I avoid such "problems" by remembering concealed means concealed. What they don't know won't hurt me...

whalerman
September 22, 2011, 07:31 AM
What you are saying Mr Sharps is exactly what I've experienced as well. It's not that I don't mind people shying away from me because of my views, I think it's more disappointment than anything else. I believe this is less about guns than it is about one's willingness to defend ourselves. This society has been taught to bend over. Carrying a weapon goes against what many have taken to heart, that being the best course of action is to give in and hope the attacker leaves you with some dignity. Gun people don't see it that way. We will defend ourselves, and it is that which distinguishes us from others. I feel sadness when people do not respect my right to defend myself. Not so much anger. Once we give up our right to self defence, we become less than men. Hell, we might as well be British, or Canadian, or Australian, or..

I refuse to live that way.

W.E.G.
September 22, 2011, 07:56 AM
I "shy away" from all sorts of people, for all sorts of reasons.

Why should I expect them to treat me any different.

There are always visual cues, mannerisms, etc. that cause people to make choices.

For instance, armed or not, would you just walk up to this guy?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/2damme300.gif

CTPhil
September 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
I guess my sentiments are a little different. I don't want people to be uncomfortable around me even if we're not on the same page. Guns aside, I've experienced the avoidance my whole life as a big guy whose natural facial expression is a scowl. I'm not going to go crazy trying to convince people I'm OK, but I do try to reach out to people if I sense their unease.

Recently I've been carrying a revolver openly on the farm, and as I am exposed to 2 roads, a lot of people see me. I welcome this opportunity to get people to become accustomed to seeing guns. So far no one has said anything to me, even when stopped for a greeting on the road. My sense is that our weekend city neighbors don't wish to be seen as unsophisticated, and locals already have been exposed to guns in some way, so they at least take the time to think about it.

So basically I try to put a friendly, responsible face on gun carry, and most people take it well. There are a handful (city people) who are just going to be afraid of me no matter what, that's out of my control. With them it's probably for the best, because they'd be the kind to cause trouble for me anyways.

Yes, I would. Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I feel that I can connect human to human with just about anyone.

Drail
September 22, 2011, 09:54 AM
Carrying a gun has nothing to do with being anti social. It has everything to do with staying alive in a world filled with crazies. To even make a statement that it is anti social pretty much proves your priorities are seriously messed up.

USAF_Vet
September 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
Carrying a gun has nothing to do with being anti social. It has everything to do with staying alive in a world filled with crazies. To even make a statement that it is anti social pretty much proves your priorities are seriously messed up.
Did you even read the post, or just make a snap judgement based on your perception of the title? Kinda like the people who shy away from someone who open carries, making a snap judgement based on first perception rather than taking the time to educate yourself ever so slightly.

I OC until I get my CPL. It causes more stares and off handed looks in the suburbs or the city rather than out in the country where I live. Most people simply glance, take notice, and go about their business. Sort of like how I glance, take notice, and go about my business as well.

Carry a gun, open or concealed doesn't change ME at all. It alters how others perceive me, but I am unchanged. The change is entirely in the eye of the beholder.

Tallinar
September 22, 2011, 10:06 AM
I open-carried my 7.5" Vaquero on my hip while out for an evening walk in town a couple days ago. I was walking on sidewalks that see a lot of jogger and bicyclist traffic. I had a flannell shirt untucked and just barely covering the grip of the gun. Honestly, I don't think most folks even noticed I was carrying. Open carry is very, very uncommon in my area, and I almost wonder if people just assumed I must be carrying something else in that "leather pouch-thingy". This was actually the first time I had open-carried.

It seems only one woman took visible notice that I was carrying. Maybe she wasn't the only one, but she's the only one who seemed to react at all. We were coming up to a sidewalk intersection from opposing sides. She was pushing a stroller and had a dog. I smiled and said hello. She did the same. As I walked on, I believe she saw the gun and began to walk a little slower - trying to put some distance between me and her.

I don't "mind" if people shy away from me when I carry. It is their prerogative. And in my area, I simply attribute this to the general ignorance of the population regarding firearms in general - and specifically firearms laws. My hope while carrying is to conduct myself as a responsible, friendly citizen to folks who are otherwise ignorant of firearms, and in doing so help in the ongoing battle to shatter the unrealistic myths or fears that they may have about guns and gun ownership.

I'm in no way anti-social. In fact, when I am carrying, perhaps I take even extra care to give warm smiles and greetings to passers-by.

Drail
September 22, 2011, 10:13 AM
USAF Vet, yeah, I read the post. I have to wonder how you got all of your insight from my post.

USAF_Vet
September 22, 2011, 10:22 AM
Drail, because your post had everything to do with the title of the post, and nothing to due with the actual content. Your pre-edited post said that the OP didn't know what he was talking about, edited to reflect a poor choice of priority. Your entire post literally had nothing to do with any of the posts in the thread, which is why I asked if you had read it, or just the title. I can understand your post if it was only in response to the thread title. I cannot understand your post in relation to what has actually been discussed.

Standing Wolf
September 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
I know people who don't keep and bear arms, but can't truthfully say I spend much time with them. To the best of my knowledge, they think of me as the neighborhood gun nut who could do a better job of tending his front lawn. All my friends also exercise the right to keep and bear arms on a daily basis.

TheBurns
September 22, 2011, 10:33 PM
I am in the majority. Nobody I work with or live near carries. My father, who I am close with, has never carried, my brother, who I am close with has never carried. However, I carry on a daily basis, CCW in town, open carry at home and on the farm. I have had plenty of looks when open carrying in town. My town is a small, very rural town and people really do judge me based on the gun of my hip. I have been pulled aside and talked to by local religious leaders, Stopped by local law enforcement who seem to be ignorant that open carry is legal here, and even given very disgusted looks by individuals I otherwise held in high regard. Guns scare people because in the media and in our world, firearms are showed as a bad thing, bad guys, with big guns, doing bad things. My grandfather concealed and carried for forty years. He was a good, and just man. I have no fear of how others judge me, only a fear that they do not perceive the world as it is, a dangerous place, where those who will not defend themselves, will be taken advantage of.

and... I would go up tot hat guy. he is clearly having some sort of seizure and needs medical assitance imediatly.

ROCK6
September 22, 2011, 10:35 PM
We have the opposite situation where we live. My wife is heavily involved with our church youth activities and when they do trips, she carries. A few of the other women know my wife has her CHL and often ask her to bring it:eek:

I'm active duty Army in a predominantly civilian unit. Most know I'm a gun enthusiast but I see that as an opportunity to be social. It's not so much about gun-rights discussions as it is offering them an opportunity to go shooting. No one would ever call me anti-social, although I most often prefer solitude. Hell, where my wife is from in northern FL, if you're not packing you may not get into the family reunion :D

I always joke about the whole concealed carry issue...I'm much more afraid of the unarmed people; they're easy targets for thugs and I want to avoid them at all costs. Criminals are mostly stupid and lazy, but offered a choice between a whiney voiced, vocal anti-gunner and some quiet, steely-eyed, alert individual sitting near the door with a good view of the area...it doesn't require a rocket science to ID your target of opportunity.

ROCK6

Ducman69
September 22, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hell yeah! Make some room! *starts break dancing*

Most people don't know that I carry a pistol unless they reach in my pants, in which case we are already pretty good friends, so it simply isn't a factor. :)

TheBurns
September 22, 2011, 10:53 PM
i laughed out loud.... Is that a gun in your pants or are ya just happy to see me.... Umm . it's a gun... but i'm glad you're here, just the same.

orionengnr
September 23, 2011, 01:13 AM
Did you even read the post, or just make a snap judgement based on your perception of the title?

I read every post on this thread, and I believe DRAIL's post was entirely cogent.

Carrying a gun has nothing to do with being anti social. It has everything to do with staying alive in a world filled with crazies.

I don't see anything in that statement that I can disagree with. His post contained nothing about in-your-face activity.

Carrying a pistol is a legal activity (in this context) not antisocial in any way.

What "someone else" interprets from that is their burden, not mine/yours.

stillkickin
September 23, 2011, 01:21 AM
right on! there are plenty who, by there actions and/or words, do disservice to all of us. be friendly, it costs nothing, and even if you don't change anyones views on firearms in general, maybe you can show that their fears are unfounded. in my experience as a Peace Officer, I have observed that those who choose to cary openly, are usually open to a conversation, but become defensive if confonted by someone who obviously has strong convictions that differ with their convictions. be the better person. maintain your cool, and represent all of us in a positive, or at least neutral way.

mljdeckard
September 23, 2011, 04:36 AM
It depends on the environment. Obviously there are times and places that are more suited to reveal it than others.

Out in the desert, on the trail, on horseback, fishing, etc, no, I flat don't care if people don't like it.

MyGreenGuns
September 23, 2011, 05:19 AM
to OP: It doesnt make ME less social, but I've noticed some people will change the topic when it comes to firearms discussions. I love my guns, my pitbull and my Chevy; some people probably shy away from me for one of those reasons. Some people will (anything), aint that America?

(to the guy who posted the "dancing man" pic) That guy is RADIATING positive energy! Why shy from someone like that? I do understand about making a judgement based on what you see. I'll shy away from sketchy people, angry people, or people that seem depressing.

To even make a statement that it is anti social pretty much proves your priorities are seriously messed up.
^Disagree. Its not everyones "priority" to own/discuss firearms.

451 Detonics
September 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
As a general rule the only people who know I carry 24/7 are either family or friends close enough to me I consider them almost family. The only place I open carry is on my own property. I always thought the entire reason people did open carry was so they could get into confrontational arguments with anti gun people. I cannot think of a single advantage of open carry that makes it worthwhile.

so if a conversation that I carry or endorse being armed comes up, and the other party become anxious or negative, I just prefer to also avoid them.

Why in the world would you mention to a stranger that you are carrying a gun? To brag? To intimidate? Not only do I never mention, it if anyone asks I would lie and deny carrying a gun.

I do not think it is anti-social to carry concealed, I do think open carry is borderline anti-social as you know some people will be offended yet you do it anyway... purposely offending people is the definition of anti-social behavior.

If you live in an open carry only state then yes...by all means carry in the open but do so unobtrusively as possible. For example years ago attending a class at Cooper's the only way I could carry, as an out of state person, was to carry open. I used a holster called a Safe Packer which disguised the gun very well and was approved as an open carry holster...most did not realize it was a gun at all...most though it was a camera case.

Lubricant
September 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hardcore concealed guy.Real serious,at first.But over the years,I've loosened up a tad.Take out the garbage without throwing a shirt on first,Maybe mow the lawn,or diddle with the car with an unbuttoned shirt over.At first,My neigbors thought of me as that o.k.guy on the corner.The one who kept his lawn up,kept his dogs quiet,Would help them out with whatever,or whenever I could.Always pleasant and friendly.Never knowing I had a 1911 strapped to my hip.NOW they know me as that same person,who just happens to carry a gun.Get no static whatsoever.I even get the impression some of them are comforted by my presence.And as for open carry being"Borderline Anti-social".Well,If exercising my 2nd amendment rights makes me"Borderline Ant-social"and actually may offend some poor sensitive soul,then so be it.Heaven forbid I should SAY anything offensive either.

Nushif
September 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
That guy is RADIATING positive energy! Why shy from someone like that?

So true, When I saw that pic I noticed two things ... the face is photoshopped in, and he seems to be having a freakin' blast being in a music video.

Always pleasant and friendly.Never knowing I had a 1911 strapped to my hip.NOW they know me as that same person,who just happens to carry a gun.

I keep saying something to this effect. Most people who know me, even very mildly in passing know me as a very friendly guy, talkative, social, friendly, that sort of thing. And nobody who has ever found out, even blinked an eye. Mainly because I share guns in general as a hobby of mine.
They know full well I am a gunnie after they ask "So what do you do in your offtime?" so it comes as no surprise that I would also carry my favorite toys/hobby implements around with me.

I keep saying that we gunnies get a bad rep not because we carry guns, but because as a whole we tend to take ourselves way too seriously when we do. We're still humans, with our own ambitions, foibles, etc.
As my wife put it just now ... most guys when they carry guns act like a girl the first time she wears a bra. "They know they're kinda cool, very self conscious, think everyone knows, feel big and important, but they're still self conscious. When in reality only a select few guys your age really care."
I know self defense is an important thing and I know it's a real responsibility, but relax guys, it's doable without having the seriousface on at all times, being a "steely eyes guy in the corner, alert with a good view of everything."

Vern Humphrey
September 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
You know, I'd look at it just the other way around, "You mean if we were mugged, or a killer opened fire on us, you wouldn't help? You'd just sit there and let it happend and whine about being unarmed? Man, are you antisocial!"

Doug S
September 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
I think the OP's questions begs another question..."Does the fact that much of modern society has become virtually like children in adult bodies, without the ability reason logically, mean that those of us who are left with a little commonsense should stop reasoning, and let these idiots dictate how we think and what we do?

I think not, and I don't care if they view my handgun as "anti-social". I happen to be of the opinion, that it is their liberal behavior and views that lead to "anti-social" behavior, not my handgun. Just sayin.

Nushif
September 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
*le eyeroll* Sure, blame the liberals.

HDCamel
September 23, 2011, 08:29 PM
I never see anybody noticeably disturbed by my SAA, just a kid every now and then who asks if it's real. Then again, that could imply that most people think it's a prop or something, but I don't see why that would be the case. It's not like I dress like a cowboy.

Then again again, I live in Virginia. One of the gun friendliest states in the union.

MyGreenGuns
September 24, 2011, 08:14 PM
I posted earlier but forgot to add:

A friend of mine has a "Come as you're armed" party every forth of July. You dont get to come on the property without a gun on your hip. In his case, NOT carrying a pistol is percieved as being anti-social.

EDIT: I dont really get why you posted a comic. *see above*

stevelyn
September 25, 2011, 07:49 AM
The nicest and friendliest people you'll ever find are the ones that you'll see at a gunshow. Anyone thinking that carrying a gun is anti-social behavior knows nothing about guns or gun owners.

HDCamel
September 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
The nicest and friendliest people you'll ever find are the ones that you'll see at a gunshow. Anyone thinking that carrying a gun is anti-social behavior knows nothing about guns or gun owners.
Especially considering that pretty much anyone who is open carrying bought their gun legally (otherwise, why display it for all to see?) which means that they probably passed a criminal background check, which means they were not convicted of a violent crime.

seansean
September 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
OP, if anyone gives you **** about why you carry a gun, I suggest you direct them to this site: http://www.blogdelnarco.com/

the video on the front page is a pretty good reason to be concerned about some of the monsters walking the earth right now.(video is graphic violence, FYI)

scramasax
September 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
Don't have a problem with open carry. Just don't think it is good idea in urban/suburban locations. Don't make yourself a primary target. Keep surprise on your side. As to upsetting any sheeple try smoking in public. Also have to admit being a little bit of a snob.If you want to open carry get a quality nice looking holster.:D

Cheers,

ts

psyshack
September 25, 2011, 03:04 PM
I was not put here to make all happy.

The_Armed_Therapist
September 25, 2011, 06:22 PM
I'm in a Marriage and Family Therapy Master's program at the University of Akron. During the day of my initial interview, we were given a tour of the campus. The woman who gave us the tour said that she went out with a guy for a while who had been in the military and that he refused to go anywhere without a gun. She explained that she broke up with him because he refused to get help for what was obviously PTSD. I told her that I carried one all the time and that I had no history of trauma. She mostly just looked freaked out. LOL

DWFan
September 25, 2011, 06:56 PM
Put a person dressed in jeans and a t-shirt that is wearing a unloaded handgun on their hip in a public situation and people will react even if they know the weapon is unloaded. Put a police uniform on that same person and they take very little notice; even though they will assume the weapon is loaded.
That isn't fear; that is bigotry and paranoia if not outright phobia as a result of conditioning. It is exactly the same basis for racial persecution and justified using the very same excuses. In fact, racial persecution and gun control are intertwined in this nation's history. Gun control advocates share one trait in common and it isn't a desire for safety and security. It's that they see themselves as morally superior.

HDCamel
September 25, 2011, 07:24 PM
Indeed, gun control and race are intertwined. A major reason California's gun laws are so strict is that the Black Panthers ran armed patrols of their neighborhoods (i.e. perfectly legal militias) since the local police couldn't be counted on (read as, "abusive and apathetic toward actually enforcing the law") and the powers that be didn't like them doing that.

SharpsDressedMan
September 25, 2011, 07:35 PM
I would like to see the law abiding black community wake up and join the NRA. I truly believe the NRA is colorblind.................

Inebriated
September 25, 2011, 07:39 PM
Open carry makes you MORE social, I would think. People may avoid you, but the ones who don't will most likely ask questions. At which point you have to opportunity to educate.

Deaf Smith
September 25, 2011, 08:27 PM
I think that would mean they're antisocial, not me.

No, not antisocial, just Hoplophobic.

I guess since I'm in Texas no one notices or cares down here. I mean everyone has a gun. The Governor (Rick Perry) even jogs with one.

I don't even know of a barber shop that doesn't have Field&Stream, Outdoor Life, and other hunting magazines in the rack.

I'm sure up north it's different but down here nobody cares as long as you behave yourself.

Deaf

harmon rabb
September 25, 2011, 08:35 PM
antisocial to who? most of my friends carry. i don't typically hang out with gun hating libs... and if i do, i carry my lcp in a little pocket holster, and they never know :D

DBryant
September 25, 2011, 08:56 PM
4thPointOfContact, I do think I recognize me some Probability Broach!

Deaf Smith, I've open carried in various parts of Maine and New Hampshire. Nobody ever gave me any guff about it. Really, the only stories about people in New England getting hassled about open carry, outside of Massachusetts, have been in cities or overgrown towns that fancy themselves cities.

whalerman
September 25, 2011, 09:14 PM
MY GREEN GUNS..I would love to attend a party like that. What a great idea. I have never heard of anything like it. Thanks for sharing it.

seansean
September 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
@sharpsdressedman: I'm black. I was an NRA member for 1 year, but, they were so right-wing in their politics, as far as who they supported, it made me not renew. I mean, dinners for tom delay?..no thanks :)

armoredman
September 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
I grew up in Arizona, open carry is normal and unremarked upon. I began lawfully open carrying at age 16. I have been asked to leave four businesses open carrying. Two are out of business, one changed the policy, and the last changed management. :)
The dumbest comment I ever heard was buying a gun magazine, (Guns and Ammo, IIRC), and a 12 pack of beer at the same time at a grocery store. The clerk scornfully siad, "That's a good combo!" A book and a beverage? Wow.

SharpsDressedMan
September 25, 2011, 10:07 PM
Seansean, the great majority of people being "disarmed" in the big cities are the blacks. The ONLY organization fighting those laws is the NRA. Certainly not the ACLU. True, the NRA is extremely right wing, but the left wing won't protect ANY of your rights in the future. Only the "socialist republic" will reign, not the individual.

seansean
September 25, 2011, 10:42 PM
I hear that, but that extreme right wing is working against people of color on so many other levels that it, for me, negates the good things NRA does re: guns. I know a lot of you will disagree with that, but, that's how I see it. And lets be honest: if it comes down to it, we'll have guns if we need 'em, legally or not.:cool:

Vern Humphrey
September 25, 2011, 10:55 PM
I'm black. I was an NRA member for 1 year, but, they were so right-wing in their politics
You do understand that the original purpose of gun control was to protect the Ku Klux Klan? The idea was to keep guns out of the hands of blacks.

FIVETWOSEVEN
September 25, 2011, 11:19 PM
I'm black. I was an NRA member for 1 year, but, they were so right-wing in their politics, as far as who they supported, it made me not renew. I mean, dinners for tom delay?..no thanks

You do realize what political party is the one thats always trying to ban guns right? As much as people don't want to admit it, Liberals are 99% the source of gun bans.

Nushif
September 25, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm black. I was an NRA member for 1 year, but, they were so right-wing in their politics

I'm not black but they are so right-wing in their politics that they use Glenn Beck as a spokesman, and whether this is a single issue organization or not ... using almost exclusively sever right wing spokespeople is a pretty good indicator of where they stand. I frankly don't ever see a hard left militia guy ever being invited to the NRA meetings ... and don't tell me Glenn Back has a shred of credibility more than the hard left.

I like that the NRA exists, no doubt, but I hate the fact that it at the VERY least silently condones right-wing policies. Again. I understand it's run by people who are fallible and as such we can't eliminate partisan politics from this, but the NRA is seriously blind on the right eye ... and anyone claiming they're not is as well.

mrmeangenes
September 25, 2011, 11:43 PM
Carrying a pistol might be considered "anti-social" . You think ??

I'd say-if you were in the woods, or on the trail-or were working a job where you had to carry, you'd be considered pretty normal.

trex1310
September 25, 2011, 11:43 PM
I'm white, don't belong to the NRA anymore, I carry a gun all the time
(concealed) because I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying a gun.
If I have occasion to use it, I want it to be a surprise to the other
guy. As for the NRA, I'm 65 now and the older I get the less I like
NRA politics. Same goes for the AARP (I'm also ex-member there).:cuss:

SharpsDressedMan
September 25, 2011, 11:55 PM
Lesser of two evils. Belong to the NRA, or imagine our American society WITHOUT the NRA standing for the 2nd Amendment. My imagination allows me to do that, so I belong to the NRA. Sometimes life IS that simple.

kfgk14
September 26, 2011, 12:30 AM
I really don't get the notion that the NRA works against the black community or any other minority. I can't fathom how anyone who owns guns isn't associated with the NRA. My dad had me a card-carrying life member before I had a gun of my own.

Nushif
September 26, 2011, 01:02 AM
My dad had me a card-carrying life member before I had a gun of my own.

My dad had me go to a Little Feet(sp?) concert before I knew what music was, too. And he raised me an anti, too.
Just because it was my dad who did it doesn't mean I *have* to agree. 8)

seansean
September 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
@Vern: Yes. I've read my Clayton E. Cramer(racist roots of gun control) also..but, IMO the NRA routinely supports people who are no friend to anyone who isn't white,or evangelical christian(of which I'm neither) period. on guns, they're right. on everything else..dead wrong.

seansean
September 26, 2011, 08:09 AM
@kfgk not the NRA directly, it's the people they support politically. THOSE fools are who I don't like.

The_Armed_Therapist
September 26, 2011, 08:26 AM
The right wing undermines people of color in so many other ways? PLEASE explain that one, seansean... I cannot allow that to go unchallenged.

Sam1911
September 26, 2011, 08:33 AM
The right wing undermines people of color in so many other ways? PLEASE explain that one, seansean... I cannot allow that to go unchallenged.

[MOD TALK: Actually, DON'T. THR is a guns, shooting, RKBA, and self-defense ONLY site. Getting into discussions of political and social issues outside of those gun-related topics takes us away from our mission and focus -- and will lead to the thread being closed.]

In other words, we've drifted too far already. Better drift back to a firearms-related discussion or we're done here.

RETG
September 26, 2011, 11:26 PM
Heck, it would make no difference to me if someone called me anti-social. I am obviously anti-social, and if asked, would admit it. And those who know me, know that is a fact. Last time I smiled was when I read about Ted Kennedy's funeral.

Deaf Smith
September 26, 2011, 11:47 PM
Deaf Smith, I've open carried in various parts of Maine and New Hampshire. Nobody ever gave me any guff about it. Really, the only stories about people in New England getting hassled about open carry, outside of Massachusetts, have been in cities or overgrown towns that fancy themselves cities.
Been to Vermont, New Hampshire, NY state, Mass., etc... Drove there from Texas.

Yes I really enjoyed Vermont. I drove strait through NY, Massachusetts, RI, etc.. And the second time I drove up there I was in Pennsylvania, and drove into New Jersey. Had a happy time in Philadelphia, but got out of N.J. asap.

So sorry when I say 'north'. Lots of north up there.

Deaf

psyshack
September 26, 2011, 11:53 PM
I would give anything if my wife's nephew and girl friend had a pistol with them last Sunday night when they were executed in old blood in Tulsa and found dead last Monday am.

TexasBill
September 27, 2011, 03:40 AM
Wow, Psyshack! Sorry to hear about that. My condolences to you and your family.

Carrying a handgun in most places is much like Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat or the young men who asked to be served at the Woolworth's lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina in 1960. People have got to get used to it before they either get comfortable or at least aren't confrontational. You have to act normally and don't be confrontational yourself. Don't forget, you don't owe anyone an explanation of why you are carrying any more than the people involved in the early civil rights movement owned anyone an explanation of why they wanted equal treatment.

Also, it's not a big, bad world out there; it's not a rose-colored, Pollyanna-perky world, either. It's a big, apathetic world out there. It just doesn't care about you or anyone else. It's up to you to stack the odds in your favor. You dress up and put your best foot forward when you want a job; shower and put on some cologne and sharp clothes when you want to impress a pretty girl and go armed when you feel the need.

The actual trigger to the Mulford Act in California wasn't so much the Black Panthers' patrols, it was the fact they came into the California Assembly carrying guns in 1967. Instead of just passing some rule that said "no guns in the Capitol" or something, a conservative representative named Don Mulford brought up legislation that outlawed the carrying of loaded weapons anywhere in the state. Governor Ronald Reagan signed it.

FiveTwoSeven's comment that "Liberals are 99% the source of gun bans" is 100% not true. Gun restrictions are proposed and enacted by politicians of all stripes and even when conservatives are in power, they don't seem to do much to improve the situation.

Ridgerunner665
September 27, 2011, 03:53 AM
HaHaHa...for me...this is simple!

I don't care what other people think...or why they think it!

I can honestly say that I've never lost a wink of sleep fretting over what other people think of me, my guns, the way I raise my kids, or the fact that my 4 year old is already getting to be a decent shot with a 22 (decent for a 4 year old), or the fact that I own so many guns, or...well, you get the picture.

I simply don't care what they think...I never was considered to be a very friendly person anyway. (that has its advantages)

HDCamel
September 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
Wow, Psyshack! Sorry to hear about that. My condolences to you and your family.

Carrying a handgun in most places is much like Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat or the young men who asked to be served at the Woolworth's lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina in 1960. People have got to get used to it before they either get comfortable or at least aren't confrontational. You have to act normally and don't be confrontational yourself. Don't forget, you don't owe anyone an explanation of why you are carrying any more than the people involved in the early civil rights movement owned anyone an explanation of why they wanted equal treatment.

Also, it's not a big, bad world out there; it's not a rose-colored, Pollyanna-perky world, either. It's a big, apathetic world out there. It just doesn't care about you or anyone else. It's up to you to stack the odds in your favor. You dress up and put your best foot forward when you want a job; shower and put on some cologne and sharp clothes when you want to impress a pretty girl and go armed when you feel the need.

The actual trigger to the Mulford Act in California wasn't so much the Black Panthers' patrols, it was the fact they came into the California Assembly carrying guns in 1967. Instead of just passing some rule that said "no guns in the Capitol" or something, a conservative representative named Don Mulford brought up legislation that outlawed the carrying of loaded weapons anywhere in the state. Governor Ronald Reagan signed it.

FiveTwoSeven's comment that "Liberals are 99% the source of gun bans" is 100% not true. Gun restrictions are proposed and enacted by politicians of all stripes and even when conservatives are in power, they don't seem to do much to improve the situation.
I would say that the march on the assembly was more the EXCUSE to pass the law (a public event which could be exploited), but you are correct. The patrols were at least a major factor though.

It's also a bit unfair to compare ourselves with civil rights activists. I don't recall people ever being hanged, beaten, sprayed with firehoses, or their houses being set on fire for carrying a gun in public...

Though, to be fair, that could be because we are armed...

Mike1234567
September 27, 2011, 02:57 PM
Why would anyone carry a pistol perceived as antisocial? I want all my pistols to be friendly and polite to all who deserve such respect.

Didn't your folks teach you it's impolite to dangle your participles in public?:evil::neener:

SharpsDressedMan
September 27, 2011, 06:43 PM
Do we allow English teachers on this site? :neener:

Mike1234567
September 27, 2011, 06:53 PM
I'm not a real English teacher... but I once stayed at an English Holiday Inn.

bikemutt
September 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
I don't know if a couple NRA stickers and a license plate frame qualifies as open carry, but I get more thumbs up from fellow motorists than birds anyway ;)

As for concealed carry, it's so second-nature to me now I don't even realize I am. Except when I have to disarm for the post office or over 21 establishment. I see no need to disclose or discuss my concealed carry with anyone other like-minded friends and my wife, nothing to gain by it, everything to lose. Better add it's OK to mention it anonymously on the Internet too, lol.

And on the rare occasion where I stumble into a conversation with an anti, I just agree to disagree, life is too short to beat the same drum again and again, getting nowhere it seems.

Cdigman
September 27, 2011, 09:04 PM
WOW...just watched the blogdenarco site mentioned several posts earlier, that is some GRUESOME stuff! For those who can't read Spanish, the video of two guys with no shirts involves a chainsaw, a not-too-sharp knife, and some serious Al Qaeda-type shockumentary. Very discomforting. It IS a serious reality check, as to what kind of evil folks there are in the world.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying a Pistol Perceived as Antisocial?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!