Bullets with two cannelures

PDA

Super Sneaky Steve
September 21, 2011, 06:10 PM
This may be a dumb question, but on some bullets like the 180 grain .357 XTP's they have two cannelures. Why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullets with two cannelures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 21, 2011, 06:22 PM
So you can seat them short, IE: standard length to work in a lever-action, or long for more powder capacity in a revolver with a long cylinder, or a single-shot like a T/C Contender.

You typically only see it on heavy for caliber handgun bullets that have more then one application.

rc

denton
September 22, 2011, 01:16 AM
The original loads for the 357 Magnum were developed in 38 Spl cases with the bullet seated farther out. You may find that the second cannelure is placed so as to allow doing the same thing.

ReloaderFred
September 22, 2011, 02:09 AM
There are also rifle bullets with two cannelures. The Remington 405 gr. .45-70 bullet comes to mind. I sometimes put two cannelures on bullets I swage if I'm going to be using them for a couple of different purposes. I've also put a second (or first) cannelure on factory bullets for certain applications.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Caliber
September 23, 2011, 10:07 AM
Barnes X has 2 cannelures.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullets with two cannelures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!