Primer seating oddity!

PDA

scythefwd
September 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
All, I have some reloaded brass. I'm not sure how many times, but it's in good shape. It has all been reloaded, none of it is factory... this is very important to the oddity I'm experiencing.

I pop out the primer and resize.. .all is good
I go to push in a new primer... won't go.

This brass has been reloaded, so a new primer has been seated before.. but now I cannot get one to seat. There looks to be the remainder of a crimp on there... but how did the last primer get seated then?? I have 2 pieces like this. Both are LC, so they were crimped at one time. I'm hand priming.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer seating oddity!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chris in va
September 22, 2011, 07:42 PM
That's why I don't like using the hand primers. The ram prime that came with my Hand Press kit lets me 'feel' the primer seating a lot better.

Hard to say about the new primers. Are you sure those are your own reloads and not mixed in with some once fired from another gun?

jcwit
September 22, 2011, 07:58 PM
Both are LC, so they were crimped at one time.

Just because they are LC does not mean they were crimped. With that said being as you are only asking about 2 pieces I would just chamfer the primer pocket on those two.

bigedp51
September 22, 2011, 08:01 PM
If my RCBS blade primer pocket cleaner will not fit in the primer pocket without binding, I normally will try swaging the primer pocket again or use my cartridge deburring tool to taper the edge of the primer pocket mouth.

The primer pocket should have a slight bevel to help center and seat the primer.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/swage_1.jpg

Primer pocket tools like below should enter the pocket without binding.
(please note bevel on center and right tools)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/swedge-2-1.jpg

If your fingers aren't bleeding after swaging and deburring a five gallon bucket of military brass.........................your not having fun. :eek:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP6526.jpg

ReloaderFred
September 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Make sure the bottom of the primer cup didn't come off, leaving the walls of the cup stuck inside the primer pocket. I've had this happen several times and it effectively ruins the brass.

Just something else to check for.

Hope this helps.

Fred

MMCSRET
September 22, 2011, 08:34 PM
ReloaderFred has hit on a very common occurrence with mil-spec cases. I quit counting how many times that has happened to me. I've had it happen with ever caliber of U.S. military case from 38 Special to 30-06, including 9MM, 223, and 45.

scythefwd
September 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
pockets have clean walls. chris - not my loads, inhereted them with the garand.

FROGO207
September 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
I am thinking that you got a couple of brass that were not yours tossed in and they need the primer pocket attended to so that you can reprime them. They might have been new rounds that you fired along with the reloads so the need to ream the primer pocket the first time they are reloaded. Either way that should do it and you are good to go.:)

scythefwd
September 22, 2011, 10:14 PM
Took the crimp off with the side of a drill bit... primers are tight, but seated properly now.

Maybe there is a little bit of surplus left in the boxes... I was pretty sure he had it all reloaded (these were my grandfathers loads)

FROGO207
September 24, 2011, 08:28 AM
Might be he is still yet helping you learn how to be a better reloader.:D If I do not learn something new every day I wonder what I have missed that day.;) If you have a case neck reaming/chamfering tool you can use it to remove the crimp. A turn or two will do it well.

scythefwd
September 24, 2011, 08:52 AM
frogo - tried that first, it's too long, so to speak, to get to the crimp... The pointy tip hits the flash hole before the reamer gets to the crimp.

scythefwd
September 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
I think I'll end up getting the CH primer pocket swager... have a good load of .308 coming my way in a little bit and I already have had a need for a uniformer, swager, or reamer...

FROGO207
September 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
I have the RCBS type and mine works well to remove crimps. I chuck the center spindle of the chamfer side in a 3/8" battery drill. I inherited it as well and it is most likely really old, possibly older than me(I'm 55). I got a lot of reloading stuff and some firearms from my grandfather when he passed on. I think that he always could tell that I was going to pass his knowledge on and wanted to help me do just that.:D

scythefwd
September 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
Frogo - my press may have you in age. I got it several years ago, and when I contacted CH tools and Die (CH4d.com) about a parts manual... they said I should be checking reloading museums as the press was over 50 years old.

FROGO207
September 25, 2011, 10:04 AM
I wonder if some of the newer presses will last like the ones we have.:D My Rock Chucker came with a cast aluminum primer tray and they have been plastic for years. I am not sure of the age of mine but it is also OLD.:D I have a Pacific measure and the original Lyman 55 measure that were also my grandfathers with the brass hopper for black powder. Might be my imagination but I think that they work better than some of the new stuff I thought I needed to get recently.:banghead::D

scythefwd
September 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
My lyman 55 is older as well...not sure but the guy said his father had been using it for years. Looked brand new, except for the brass slides.. which had a little discoloration.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer seating oddity!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!