Whats the best red dot for a ak 47

PDA

wolverine_173
September 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
I am interested in a red dot/ reflex sight for my ak 47. Whats the best as far as accuracy and battery life for 50 bucks or less? Just for plinkin 25-100 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best red dot for a ak 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
goinghot
September 23, 2011, 06:58 PM
yr on a tight budget so i would do a lil resurch on a low budget sight. the ak 47 has a hard recoil not many if any 50 reddots will keep zerro for verry long. i could b wrong but goodluck

wolverine_173
September 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
that was less than helpful. Ive dont research. So anyone have experiance with the centerpoint or truglow?

Mike1234567
September 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
I followed couple of recent threads regarding cheap but decent red-dot and reflex sights right here on this very board but I can't remember where they are. I'd try a search to help but I'm not the one currently looking.:D

wolverine_173
September 24, 2011, 09:48 PM
you guys are not very helpful.

Sky
September 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=608749

The cheap red dot thread

Mike1234567
September 24, 2011, 09:57 PM
I'd try to find the information but I'm not looking to buy a red dot at this time. Just keep bumping the thread. Someone's sure to jump in.

ETA: Sky types faster (or thinks faster) than me. :D

dannyr3_8
September 25, 2011, 01:58 PM
i have a bsa on mine been there for at least 8 yrs never needs adjusting hope you have the same luck with what ever you buy oh and its less than 30 bucks

wolverine_173
September 25, 2011, 10:29 PM
whats a bsa?

dannyr3_8
September 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
check out general discussions yesterday someone posted what reddots do you own that are cheap and that work it may help and bsa is just a brand of scopes hope this helps good luck

wolverine_173
September 26, 2011, 03:36 PM
ok i looked at that. BSA seems popular also primary arms. Which sight will not break on a ak. as long as it doesn't break it will work for me.

230therapy
September 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
Aimpoint Micro T-1 or H-1 mounted on the UltimAK rail. I really like my setup.

Look into Texas Weapon Systems AK rail. Trijicon makes an ACOG calibrated for 7.62x39mm.

As for $50 or less..."won't break"...are you kidding? Stick with iron sights if you're going to do that. Buy quality gear once and you won't be sorry.

hso
September 26, 2011, 04:27 PM
wolverine 173,

You have to understand that there is nothing in your price range that you can expect not to "break".

There are few manufacturers that make anything that you can reliably say that about at any price. The lower the price point the less likely to find anything reliable.

The best low priced red dots are going to be Primary Arms and Bushnell.

amprecon
September 27, 2011, 02:14 AM
I would consider this:

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=421

wolverine_173
September 27, 2011, 11:39 AM
So i know its a fake but how much is it worth, the guy is selling it for 50 bucks. and will it hold up to my ak recoil??

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd467/wolverine_173/11553270.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd467/wolverine_173/11553301.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd467/wolverine_173/aimpoint.jpg

Sky
September 27, 2011, 01:17 PM
Another good source beside the cheap red dot thread posted above is pick something you like and see if there is a review on youtube. Nutnfancy has a cheap red dot (less than $87) on his AK which I purchased (the same) to place on a .22....there are many choices out there. Dot size is important with regards to distance and being able to place a round where you can see your aim point or intended impact area. IMO stay away from NCstar anything.

hso
September 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
You'd have to be foolish to purchase a fake when you can purchase something that has to compete on merit instead of false marketing.

Think about the fact that someone has to depend upon counterfeiting a good product to sell it instead of making an inexpensive product that has to compete on merit.

Melting
September 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
I bought a Barska for $100 that did a decent job. It is ugly, big but so far reliable. I know that's a little more than your price point but that's my experience. I ran it on a .223. It does eat batteries rapidly. It also loves to turn itself on in the safe.
That being said I finally decided to start buying some better optics and it has really been worth every penny. Wish I could get that $100 back.
Good Luck in your search.

WardenWolf
September 30, 2011, 11:00 PM
BSA is commonly referred to as Better Stay Away. They clone ADCO products. Unfortunately, their quality control is awful and, while you may get one that works perfectly, you may also get one that won't hold zero on even an AR-15. And yes, I've read multiple reports of their 30mm red dot not holding zero. Do yourself a favor and get Tasco or any of a host of other honest companies.

coinshooter
October 5, 2011, 11:22 PM
Vortex has 2 good red dots less than $200

1simpson1
October 6, 2011, 04:12 PM
Honestly asking for a reliable, accurate, and good battery life red dot for under $50 is insane. It sounds like your trying to get what aimpoint and eotech struggle to put out for under $500 for ten times less. Its crazy. You get what you pay for. Of course every once in a while you will have that miracle story about some ****ty red dot working like an aimpoint forever. But seriously. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. no way around that truth.

Stacer
October 9, 2011, 01:03 AM
I've got a Rex on mine, $40 at Dunham's It's held up well so far

Cdigman
October 9, 2011, 11:06 AM
I am considering THIS: http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-CompC3-30mm-Red-Dot-Sight-Kit-P47559.aspx Mounted on THIS: http://www.rsregulate.com/products.php

kingkeoni
November 11, 2011, 04:58 AM
The Primary Arms micro and Bushnell TRS25 are both excellent for the price.

They're about $79 each and I have used both of them on my AK's.

They hold zero perfectly and work flawlessly.

Battery life is not as good as an aimpoint but then you save $500 you can buy a lot of batteries.

jon_in_wv
November 20, 2011, 09:12 AM
I am considering THIS: http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-CompC3-30mm...it-P47559.aspx Mounted on THIS: http://www.rsregulate.com/products.php

The OP is asking about red dots in the $50 range, not the 500 dollar range.

That being said, I wouldn't buy any BSA product. The last one I bought didn't work at all and they wanted me to return it to them and pay shipping both ways. Never mind that would cost more than their stupid product that didn't work in the first place. I told them I'll take it as a lesson learned and never purchase from them again.

230therapy
November 20, 2011, 03:19 PM
The OP is asking about red dots in the $50 range, not the 500 dollar range.

That being said, I wouldn't buy any BSA product. The last one I bought didn't work at all and they wanted me to return it to them and pay shipping both ways. Never mind that would cost more than their stupid product that didn't work in the first place. I told them I'll take it as a lesson learned and never purchase from them again.

Yes, and we're telling him we already wasted our money on the low end optics and ended up buying the high end optics after breaking all the cheap ones. It's better to have patience and put $25 a week toward a great optic than to buy the immediately available one.

jon_in_wv
November 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see the wisdom in recommending a $500 dollar optic for plinking under 100 yards, ESPECIALLY on an AK. You may feel the need to have some gee whiz optic that you can show how cool you are with but most people just don't really need it.

You can get a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot for $99 bucks that is very tough and works fine. You don't need to spend $500 to get something that doesn't break regardless of what someone told you and if someone says they can only afford to pay a certain amount I don't condescend to them by assuming they just aren't frugal or smart enough to spend more. I take them at their word.

230therapy
November 20, 2011, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see the wisdom in recommending a $500 dollar optic for plinking under 100 yards, ESPECIALLY on an AK. You may feel the need to have some gee whiz optic that you can show how cool you are with but most people just don't really need it.

Yes, I see you don't get it. You believe an AK is not capable of grouping well enough to warrant a quality optic.

Did it ever occur to you that one day the owner may decide to try that optic on another rifle? Suddenly, reliability becomes important when that red dot is on a hunting rifle or competition gun and it needs to perform for the entire day.

You can get a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot for $99 bucks that is very tough and works fine. You don't need to spend $500 to get something that doesn't break regardless of what someone told you and if someone says they can only afford to pay a certain amount I don't condescend to them by assuming they just aren't frugal or smart enough to spend more. I take them at their word.

You make too many assumptions about what's happening on this side of the keyboard.

Cdigman
November 21, 2011, 12:03 AM
To be fair, the title of the OP's post is "Whats the best red dot for a ak 47". I'd consider that akin to asking, "What's the best 9mm?", and then in the body of the post framing it, "I am going to start going to the gun range, I have $200 to spend, what's the best 9mm handgun?". Pretty much, people would recommend Hi Points, perhaps used guns, however, many would suggest that the OP save up for a Glock, Sig, M&P, etc. They would not be trying to be condescending, only attempting to offer good advice. And because those people choose not to use inexpensive weapons for range time or personal protection does not mean those people are unwise.
As far as Aimpoints and Eotechs go, yes they are not cheap, but I personally would not be owning one, because it is a "gee whiz optic", but more along the lines of, if I had to bet my life on my optics, I'd rather be certain that what I had will do the job.

jon_in_wv
November 21, 2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, I see you don't get it. You believe an AK is not capable of grouping well enough to warrant a quality optic.

Please show me where I said that? I'll save you the trouble because I didn't. It seems you are the one making assumptions. Besides, nothing I ever said was addressed to you in the first place until you interjected yourself into it.

Cdigman
November 21, 2011, 10:00 PM
Jon, please take the time to clarify exactly what you meant when you said, "I'm sorry, but I don't see the wisdom in recommending a $500 dollar optic for plinking under 100 yards, ESPECIALLY on an AK." Thanks.

jon_in_wv
November 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
For the benefit of the rest of the board, not the guy I just put on my ignore list, I was simply saying that buying an optic that is probably more expensive that the weapon it is going on when you aren't likely to get a lot more accuracy that you would get with the irons probably isn't the most frugal choice for someone who says their budget for said optic is in the $50 dollar range. I have a converted Saiga that is plenty accurate and I have in the past mounted a scope on it but the reality is there is very little gain in accuracy for the range you can use an AK at. I use a Bushnell trophy on it occasionally but there is very little to me gained my using a more expensive optic. I can bang away on steel plates at 200 yards with boring regularity with the Bushnell. Is a $500 dollar red dot going to let me do the same at 300y? or 400y? if the Bushnell can't? Nope.

lebowski
November 23, 2011, 09:55 PM
I shoot my AK with irons only. With a budget of only 50 bucks, I'd stick with irons.

230therapy
November 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
The red dot is really about speed. I certainly understand the desire for a low cost optic. But, the OP would be better served by either buying ammo or getting a solid optic. But, by all means buy a lower end optic for the fun factor.

Hits are very possible at 300 yards with the red dot on an AK. Sure, you may be getting 6 MOA out of the gun...but that's still 18" at 300 yards. Eighteen inch groups will still score torso hits. Better ammo and parts may pay off depending upon your gun's configuration. The AK is not a precision weapon and using an old barrel on a slapped together WASR with Wolf ammo is not the way to go in this instance. A weapon built with quality parts and fed good ammo can make a decent carbine.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZO11glbkr4&feature=related

But, jon_in_wv isn't interested in what the AK can do. He's just making broad generalizations based upon his bias. He clearly is not interested in a rational discussion given he has blocked my comments.

jon_in_wv
November 24, 2011, 07:38 PM
I can bang away on steel plates at 200 yards with boring regularity with the Bushnell. Is a $500 dollar red dot going to let me do the same at 300y? or 400y? if the Bushnell can't? Nope.

If you are going to argue my point make sure it is actually the point I'm making rather than the one you wish I was making so you can try to start some inane argument. Thanks anyhow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best red dot for a ak 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!