Replicating Federal GM 69 grain in 223 Remington

PDA

poihths
September 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hi! I have a rifle that, as I have recently discovered, shoots very decently with Federal Gold Medal (aka Premium) ammunition, which uses a 69 grain bullet. This is in .223 Remington with a 16 inch barrel, 1:8 twist (yes, 1:8, not 1:9.)

I get a median velocity of 2578 fps from this combination.

I want to replicate that performance in a handload. I currently use Varget in this caliber. I think I might be asking a bit much of Varget. What other powders should I consider?

If you enjoyed reading about "Replicating Federal GM 69 grain in 223 Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rg1
September 24, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'd give a look at this Sierra site:
http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
They list Sierra 69BTHP Match bullet and also say their best accuracy load used Varget. It would be impossible to know exactly how to replicate Federals factory loads but the Sierra bullet and Varget should shoot very well for you but may take some load work-ups to find the magic combination.

poihths
September 25, 2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the pointer to that data. It looks as though I can get more out of Varget than I thought.

If you enjoyed reading about "Replicating Federal GM 69 grain in 223 Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!