SR9C... The most underrated gun in the market

PDA

wristtwister
September 25, 2011, 10:24 AM
I sell guns every day at our shop. The majority of people come in asking about "what's a good carry gun"? Then, we have the people who come in and won't have anything but a specific brand, or some "special gun" they've read about in one of the gun rags. They all have a "list" and only want to look at something specific, until I throw in Ruger's SR9C.

I make no bones about the fact that the full size SR9 was the best gun I ever took out of a box and shot. It performed flawlessly, and I thought Ruger had lost their minds when they announced that they were making a compact version... at least until I looked at what the gun was and what it gave the shooter.

As a mechanical engineer by training, I like things that work as designed... and feature for feature, the SR9C provides the most "bang for the buck" in the small pistol market. It is a chameleon for your needs, and provides the most features I've found in the carry gun market.

The loaded chamber indicator is the first thing I show a customer. It's designed so you can pick the gun up in the dark and know if you are "loaded" without having to spill a round onto the floor to make sure. While redundant, the striker indicator gives you a way to look at the end of the gun and see if you're "ready to fire" if you happen to miss the LCI. The 3-dot sight system is excellent, and while some live or die by having "night sights" on their guns, I learned that night sights are only useful if you're shooting in the dark... and usually where you can't see the target... even though you can see the sights...

That problem is solved by the light rail thats on the gun, so you can attach a streamlight or flashlight/laser combination on the gun. Crimson Trace also makes a "trigger shroud" laser sight that attaches to the pistol and provides a "grip mounted on-button" for a laser... so it's up to you to decide how you want to light and laser your gun.

The trigger system is excellent. It has a locked system with the "glock trigger" that puts a pin block into the sear and locks both the striker and the sear... so having a round in the chamber isn't the only requirement for making the gun go bang. The "first trigger" has to release the trigger and striker system, but once done, the trigger is excellent.

The gun comes with ambidextrious safeties and magazine releases, so it's easily handled by both right and left-handed shooters, and functional if you happen to pick up the gun "wrong handed" and need to shoot quickly. You don't have to fumble with getting to the safety or disconnecting a mag to reload in order to get off a shot.

The real brilliance in this design is in the magazine changes. The compact comes with both a 10 round and 17 round magazine... which provides exactly the same grip on the pistol when shooting with either mag in place.:uhoh: Yes, I said that correctly... the grip on the pistol feels exactly as it should regardless of which magazine is in the gun. I carry my 10-rounder in the gun for concealed carry, and the 17 rounder in my back pocket... so I'm packin' 28 rounds should the need arise.

As for comfort in shooting, the gun has a reversible "backstrap" adjustment that simply requires you to punch out a pin with a ball point pen, and flip over the rubber "palm swell" to get either the "flat profile" or "palm swell" profile in the grip. Stick the pin back in place, and your grip is changed... no extra parts from somewhere else... just packaged and put in place.

Yes, there are smaller pistols on the market... even Ruger's own LC9... which has the LCI, 3-dot sights, and left-side safety... for about sixty bucks less... but "dollar for dollar" isn't even in the same ball park. It stops being a feature gun there, and while a 9MM, only packs 7+1.

The accuracy of the gun is on a parallel with the full size SR9, because the barrel is only about an inch shorter than the full size barrel. While I've had no problems carrying a full-sized SR9 concealed, the options of the SR9C make it such a versatile change-up, that it's really amazing that it hasn't completely overwhelmed the market. It's a "carry gun", it can be a "night-stand gun", a 'range gun"... and probably a lot of other applications that just don't come to mind right now.

While I like shooting all calibers, the SR9 and SR9C have proved to me that 9MM can be fun and functional... and if I need more "punch", I can pick up my SR40 and SR40C... oh, did I forget to mention that it also comes in .40 S&W... it's just that they're exactly the same size... only carrying 9+1 or 15+1 in .40 S&W.

My hat's off to Ruger for this project... they've developed something that is not only functional, feature loaded, and fun to shoot, but so versatile that it is hard to imagine a need it can't fill with some thought. Unlike guns that need "trigger jobs" or "sight upgrades", etc. , these guns come from the factory "ready to go", and don't take much if any "break-in". My first 50 rounds out of my SR9C were shot at our state-required 15 yards on "half size" targets, and all 50 were in the body outline in "kill zones". Not bad for an "out of the box gun"... but it was what I expected... it's the same thing I got with the full sized SR9.

WT

If you enjoyed reading about "SR9C... The most underrated gun in the market" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kokapelli
September 25, 2011, 10:42 AM
I couldn't agree more.

Mike1234567
September 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I've been shopping for new CC and the SR9c is at the top of a very short list. I also like the S&W M&P9c & SA XDM 9c but the Ruger SR9c the just fits me better and has all the features I want.

intercooler
September 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
We rented it with several other 9's when getting my Fiance's latest. Me personally I liked it but she wanted a little longer sight picture. The sights are/were my only beef. It would be my preferred with a sight swap in 9mm.

th1229
September 25, 2011, 10:51 AM
One of the best out of the box gun's I have ever shot.

kokapelli
September 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
We rented it with several other 9's when getting my Fiance's latest. Me personally I liked it but she wanted a little longer sight picture. The sights are/were my only beef. It would be my preferred with a sight swap in 9mm.
That's why there is an SR9

MrWesson
September 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
The SR9 is a great gun but the trigger is horrible IMO.

Dry fire one next to a M&P or a glock for good measure.

kokapelli
September 25, 2011, 10:55 AM

I have and it works for me.

Mike1234567
September 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
The SR9c trigger works for me too... and I own a M&P45 full size for HD.

legion3
September 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
This is not to be a slight against the SR9C or any gun but it always seems that nobody makes a 10+1 9mm or 40 smaller than a glock 26/27.

The SR9c is bigger in all measurements over the Glock 26 and most companies similar sub compact 9's and 40's are always a tad to several tads bigger in some or all measurements.

How does Glock pull it off? I know its not huge differences but...

Sure single stacks are but not the 10+1 versions.

Glock 26
WEIGHT
560 g / 19.75 oz.
LOADED (~)
740 g / 26.10 oz.

LENGTH
160 mm / 6.29 in.

HEIGHT
106 mm / 4.17 in.

MAG. CAPACITY
Standard: 10
OPTIONAL
12/15/17/19/33

WIDTH
30 mm / 1.18 in.

BARREL HEIGHT
32 mm / 1.26 in.

LINE OF SIGHT
144 mm / 5.67 in.

BARREL LENGTH
88 mm / 3.46 in.

MrWesson
September 25, 2011, 12:31 PM

When it comes to guns its the slight differences that matter to me. Its almost like comparing cell phones where you have to split hairs to find a difference.

To me the main difference between the M&P isn't reliability,design,weight but like I said small differences.

IMO
SR9 pros vs the rest
Price and that's a big pro
Slim

M&P
Trigger
Capacity(2 more rounds)
No mag disconnect which could go either way depending on what you want
Optional thumb safety/not standard.

IMO the M&P is slightly better but for the price difference you could get more trigger time/ammo for the SR9.

As far as it being the most underated.. I dont think so I just think the competition is stiff and it has to build a rep in law enforcement. The M&P was ignored a few years ago too.

tahunua001
September 25, 2011, 12:58 PM
very well written... glad to see some positive reinforcement to the guns reputation

Redneck with a 40
September 25, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have an SR9-C and I agree 100%, awesome pistol.

Mike J
September 25, 2011, 03:16 PM
legion3 wrote This is not to be a slight against the SR9C or any gun but it always seems that nobody makes a 10+1 9mm or 40 smaller than a glock 26/27.

There is someone that makes a 10 + 1 9mm that is smaller than a Glock 26. Kel Tec. Look up the specifications on the Kel Tec P11 (there are actually 12 round magazines available for it). It is smaller & lighter than a Glock 26. Does that make it better? Maybe, maybe not it all depends on what each individual shooter wants in a pistol.

As far as the SR9c I have to plead ignorance as I have not had the opportunity to shoot one. I find myself wanting the .40 caliber version but now is not the time for me to buy a gun so I just keep watching & waiting.

Mike1234567
September 25, 2011, 03:51 PM
Mike J... The K-T P-11 uses S&W Model 59 mags. I have two Mec-Gar 15 round mags that work perfectly in my P-11. Of course, the extended grip is less concealable but one can always carry with a 10 or 12 round mag in the grip and a separate 15 round. I'm big enough that the 15 rounders don't show under a loose shirt.

The above stated, and again I own and like a P-11, the SR9c would still be my choice. If for no other reason than the added safety. I once dropped my P-11 on the muzzle (no drop or thumb safety) and it discharged. I never want that to happen again...

kokapelli
September 25, 2011, 04:18 PM
I had a P11 and aside from having the worst trigger I have ever shot, it was a little big for my pocket.

MrWesson
September 25, 2011, 04:36 PM
The above stated, and again I own and like a P-11, the SR9c would still be my choice. If for no other reason than the added safety. I once dropped my P-11 on the muzzle (no drop or thumb safety) and it discharged. I never want that to happen again...

:what:

Sounds like you may want to switch to the PF9 and give up a few rounds.

I didn't know that about the P11 and didn't care for them before due to the thickness/trigger but now I really dont like them.

I just can't see ever carrying a gun that's not drop safe.

Mike1234567
September 25, 2011, 04:43 PM
:what:

Sounds like you may want to switch to the PF9 and give up a few rounds.

I didn't know that about the P11 and didn't care for them before due to the thickness/trigger but now I really dont like them.

I just can't see ever carrying a gun that's not drop safe.

And this is precisely why I'm looking for a new carry gun. The SR9c seems just about perfect for my needs.

Funny you mentioned the PF9 because I recently purchased a LC9 but the seller is holding it until either my FFL re-opens after his move or until I find another FFL.

The bottom line is the Rugers are replacing my beloved Kel-Tecs.

verdun59
September 25, 2011, 05:02 PM
I've said many times I believe it it the best value for the dollar. Mine run like a champ ...... but honest to Betsy I don't understand how every write up about any gun suddenly gets compared to a Glock.

Kokapelli, you must have gotten the P11 I got rid of.

wild cat mccane
September 25, 2011, 05:18 PM
Underrated used to mean no one knew it was good. The trick with the Ruger fan base is getting them to shut up, and the SR9 may be the place holder for this crowd. :D J/k...kinda.

Seriously though, it is 200 less than an HK 2000, 100 dollars less than a p99c, 70 bucks less than an M&Pc, Glock 26, XDsc, PX4sc...

and 60 dollars more than the Taurus Mill Pro, 150 more than a Kel Tek p11 or pf9.

Not underrated in any function. Every single one of the above has the same or more features.

FIVETWOSEVEN
September 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
Doesn't feel right in my hand, I'll pass.

Hanzo581
September 25, 2011, 05:25 PM

I have not shot newer SR9s but I am told they now have the same trigger as the SR9c...and if that is the case, I'd put that trigger up against almost any pistol sub $600. The SR9c's trigger is superb.

kokapelli
September 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
Underrated used to mean no one knew it was good. The trick with the Ruger fan base is getting them to shut up, and the SR9 may be the place holder for this crowd. :D J/k...kinda.

Seriously though, it is 200 less than an HK 2000, 100 dollars less than a p99c, 70 bucks less than an M&Pc, Glock 26, XDsc, PX4sc...

and 60 dollars more than the Taurus Mill Pro, 150 more than a Kel Tek p11 or pf9.

Not underrated in any function. Every single one of the above has the same or more features.
It's not just about features, but rather how the gun feels, how reliable it is, how it shoots, how well it's made and last but not least, how it functions in your hands.

Mike J
September 25, 2011, 05:42 PM
Sorry for the thread veer. I merely meant to say that the G26 is not the smallest 10 + 1 9mm on the market. For anyone that would be interested in seeing how the G26 & SR9c compare as far as size there are pic's of the 2 side by side at the link http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=83178&highlight=glock

Redneck with a 40
September 25, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'll take the SR9-C over a glock anyday. To me, the Glock's have horrible ergonomics, grip thickness and angle is all wrong for me. When I pick one up, it naturally points down, very irritating. I'd argue the trigger on the Ruger is one of the best around, more than likely better than the glock too.

ROCK6
September 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
Good review WT. I just picked up a SR9c...Along with a $50 credit and the %20 Memorial Day weekend discount it ended up being just over $300 shipped...just couldn't pass it up. I can't comment on performance yet as my two scheduled range sessions were unfortunately cancelled.

I actually picked this up for my wife. She's been carry either a Bersa Thunder or Kel-Tec P3AT...both .380s. She likes them for the size, but has wanted to try a larger caliber such as 9mm. She didn't like some of the semi-auto’s I own; Glock (19/26), Kahr K9, CZ compacts (75/P01) or the Sig P228. She does like my P225, so that may end up hers but she did like the Ruger SR9 that she handled in the LGS. I plan to put a couple hundred rounds through it first before she gets to try it. My only beef so far is the price of spare magazines…they are not widely available yet and quite expensive. Ruger may be making up the lower price of the SR9c with magazines double the price of others.

Still, it seems well designed. I thought the safety would be hard to manipulate, but it’s quite well done. I know it’s aesthetics, but even the brand-name and slide logo’s are subdued enough not to be too gaudy like some slide “bill-boards”. The trigger is better than my stock Glocks. It’s not quite as good as my Steyr M9A1, but it does break clean and has a pretty quick reset.

I’ll hold off on commenting on the sights until I can actually put rounds down range with them. I think Ruger did quite well on this one and I do expect it to do well. I see it more on the lines as my Glock 19, not the 26. Still, it’s well executed and I hope they figure out that one of Glock’s success was due to plenty of aftermarket parts, spare OEM parts and cheaper magazines.

ROCK6

JohnBT
September 25, 2011, 06:56 PM
"SR9C... The most underrated gun in the market"

It must be, I had no idea what you were talking about until the last paragraph when you said "Ruger". I have not shot one.

It was easier to keep the makes and models straight when guns had names and not codes to be deciphered.

John

wild cat mccane
September 25, 2011, 07:20 PM
Yes, but no one has said the glock trigger is good. Glock has a rep for reliability.

You can't say because the sr9 is better in some attributes to a glock it is the best. You left out every single other manufactures compact and subcompact.

I would argue the el cheapo $340 taurus mil pro beats the SR9c in every regard. Trigger is smooth, quick reset, ergonomic, lifetime warrenty, 380, 9mm, 40, and 45 versions all about the same size. BUT doh! the sights are straight 8. So which is better?

It is impossible to say 'the best.'

ugaarguy
September 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
This is not to be a slight against the SR9C or any gun but it always seems that nobody makes a 10+1 9mm or 40 smaller than a glock 26/27.

The SR9c is bigger in all measurements over the Glock 26 and most companies similar sub compact 9's and 40's are always a tad to several tads bigger in some or all measurements.

How does Glock pull it off? I know its not huge differences but...

The width measurement are measured at the widest point, and the thumb safety is why the SR9c is wider than a Glock 26. It's thinner everywhere else. The grip has a smaller circumference as well. The rounded edges reduce overall volume, and make carry more comfortable. Yeah, the Ruger is a hair longer & taller. It also has a light rail, and low profile adjustable sights. As for weight, the Ruger has a reversible rubber back strap with pin, loaded chamber indicator, beefier extractor, thumb safety, metal take down pin (vs. plastic latch), and the aforementioned sights & rail. It's a hair longer, taller, and heavier to incorporate features Glock refuses to offer. The dimensional differences are really splitting hairs. Also, as already mentioned the Kel-Tec P11 is smaller than a G26 in every dimension, and has flush fit 12 round mags.

Glocks are great pistols, but they aren't for everyone. The Ruger SR series is great too, but it isn't for everyone either. Get the one that fits your hand best, and has the features you want.

Now, for why I agree that the SR9c is underrated, and why I own one:

I didn't care about the adjustable sights, nor the LCI. I was indifferent to the thumb safety, but the location & operation are just like a 1911 (my preferred pistol); so I didn't have to adapt. The grip just fit my hand, and the pistol points naturally for me. The new trigger that premiered in the SR9c is one of the best out of the box triggers on a striker fired pistol. The new Nitrodox Pro nitride finish is right up there with Melonite & Tennifer. The SR9c works very well for me. It goes toe to toe with any other poly frame, striker fired pistol, and undercuts Glock & S&W by around $100 in price.

If Ruger had the new trigger, and the Nitrodox Pro finish on the SR series from the start they would've made a much bigger foothold in the market. These are very good pistols, and I agree that they're still underrated / under appreciated.

jon_in_wv
September 25, 2011, 08:04 PM
I would argue the el cheapo $340 taurus mil pro beats the SR9c in every regard. Trigger is smooth, quick reset, ergonomic, lifetime warrenty, 380, 9mm, 40, and 45 versions all about the same size. BUT doh! the sights are straight 8. So which is better?

Except for Taurus's reputation for spotty quality control and horrible customer service. I've owned one Taurus and I am in no hurry to ever buy another. My Rugers have been worth every penny of difference.

ugaarguy
September 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
Except for Taurus's reputation for spotty quality control and horrible customer service.
When the shipping clerk at the LGS says he wont own a Taurus because he sends too many back, that speaks volumes.

Taurus wont even send grip screws to gunsmiths, much less any other part. Everything has to go back to Miami so they can handle it. S&W, Ruger, Glock, and many others will send small parts to end owners, and have very few gunsmith restricted parts. Even the gunsmith restricted stuff can be sent to any FFL. That, combined with spotty QA/QC, is why I'll never own a Taurus.

wild cat mccane
September 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
This baiseless 'my gun counter dude said' attack on the Taurus mil pro is funny because the SR9 was RECALLED.

I mean come on. :)

Tauras isn't even my dog in the fight. I say the P99 and P99c have no competition in the trigger department. Cost is the only detracting factor.

Hanzo581
September 25, 2011, 09:48 PM
The SR9 may have had a recall, but this thread is about the SR9c ;)

popeye
September 25, 2011, 09:53 PM
I had an SR9c until last week. They can be had new for $400-$450 around here. The G26 is a much better gun. With a G19 magazine and an A&G grip adapter the 10 rd. G26 turns into a 15 rd gun with a nice length grip. The Ruger web sight is full of SR9c problems. Light strike complaints abound, rust on black coated "alloy" "(sp) slides. I had my SR9c apart to take the mag safety out and frankly it's quality is no where near a G26.

Hanzo581
September 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
The SR9c takes 17 round SR9 mags, so the round count argument is kind of odd, and did you have any issues with yours or did you read online where people had problems and it scared you off?

ugaarguy
September 25, 2011, 10:05 PM
This baiseless 'my gun counter dude said' attack on the Taurus mil pro is funny because the SR9 was RECALLED.

I mean come on.
Baseless? The man's a retired LEO, and works at a high volume dealer. I personally know the gunsmith, working for an FFL, who Taurus wouldn't mail a friggin' grip screw to so he could get a customer's gun back in working order. When I worked in gun retail I saw too many Taurus BREAK - like slide and / or barrel lug shearing off break - within the first mag to ever own one.

Yeah, Ruger recalled the SR9, and fixed a drop safety issue on the early guns. Taurus continues to turn out crap, and won't acknowledge that there's a problem. Glock has never admitted fault with the failure to feed issues in Gen 3 guns that can happen when you mount a light on the rail and flatten out their flimsy dust cover. They'll tell you to switch to new magazines if you have a problem. Glock never acknowledged the problems with their unsupported 40 S&W chambers - they just progressively added chamber support throughout the years. Glock never recalled the weak two pin .40 S&W 2nd gen frames either. Yet you're mad that Ruger actually acknowledges & fixes problems?

With a G19 magazine and an A&G grip adapter the 10 rd. G26 turns into a 15 rd gun with a nice length grip. Kinda like the 17 round SR9 mag & grip adapter Ruger supplies with every SR9c?

MrWesson
September 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
The SR9c takes 17 round SR9 mags, so the round count argument is kind of odd, and did you have any issues with yours or did you read online where people had problems and it scared you off?
So does the M&P/XD and Glock. They all take full size mags and they all have adapters available.

popeye
September 25, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm 64 and had plenty of guns along the way. I'm just voicing my opinion. I normally carry a revolver, so extra bullets don't sway me. The G26 has been around a long time and is a proven performer. There's also a lot of aftermarket parts available for it. The internals on the SR9c look really cheap, like a planed obsolescence pistol.

Hanzo581
September 25, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'll have to give my flawlessly performing SR9c another look over, I need to find these really cheap looking parts. I'm no gunsmith, but the internals look pretty similar in quality to my XD.

MrWesson
September 25, 2011, 10:54 PM
Shooters sure are a opinionated bunch aren't we...

Sr9 owners enjoy your pistol and unless its picked up by law enforcement channels it will always play second fiddle to the M&P/Glock/XD. No reason why it wouldnt be but if its not.

Fisherdave10
September 26, 2011, 01:47 AM
I love my SR9c stainless. For the money, it's probably the best carry gun you can get that is still large enough to fight with. I know Glock and S&W make nice compact/sub compact guns but I have no regrets at all going with the Ruger as my first handgun. 100% reliable after 2+ months of regular carry and practice. It's my EDC with 28 rounds of Winchester RA9T:).

JohnBiltz
September 26, 2011, 04:08 AM
Half an inch of length is not a hair. It takes a lot of hairs to make up half an inch. The SR9C is as long as Glocks compacts, listed as 6.85 not the sub-compacts. Some of those features are things people just plain do not want on their guns. Like the safety, magazine disconnect and LCI. If you are happy with it, with all sincerity I am happy for you. But its not for me. However when people ask me about a carry gun I always say look to SR9C, G26 and S&W M&P sub-compacts, try them all and pick the one they like. But trying to convince someone online that a half inch is a hair and that they should love the LCI and disconnect and safety is a waste of time.

popeye
September 26, 2011, 06:06 AM
My apologies to SR9 / SR9c owners. I won't comment any further.

redbeardsong
September 26, 2011, 08:25 AM
Yep. Great carry gun! I shot and the G19, G26, and considered the M&P9c before deciding on the SR9c. It's been very accurate, reliable, a pleasure to shoot, and easy to conceal every day for the last year.

JTQ
September 26, 2011, 09:37 AM
SR9/SR9c owners, do you use the thumb safety, or do you leave it off and just ignore it as if it were any other striker fire pistol without a safety?

kokapelli
September 26, 2011, 09:45 AM
SR9/SR9c owners, do you use the thumb safety, or do you leave it off and just ignore it as if it were any other striker fire pistol without a safety?
I leave mine off.

HOOfan_1
September 26, 2011, 10:41 AM

Ditto...I didn't feel any noticable difference between the Glock, M&P or the SR9..or the SR9c for that matter

Kachok
September 26, 2011, 10:58 AM
Every factory pistol trigger I have ever shot feels gritty and creepy compared to the rifles I shoot. Now my gf has a custom Colt 1911 with a very crisp aftermarket trigger. It was weird to shoot at first because I was so used to creep and grit in handguns like my Sig 250. I want to see someone put Tikkas trigger in a factory handgun that is the perfect single stage IMHO.

MCgunner
September 26, 2011, 11:43 AM
I don't like dohicky triggers.

I' love my rugers, but I pocket a Kel Tec P11. It's light, thin, carries firepower, and is very accurate and reliable and I prefer the long DA trigger for pocket carry to some of those dohicky triggers. JMHO and preference, though. I'm sure the SR9C is great for other than in a pocket. I cannot carry on a belt, near impossible most of the year in 100+ heat and 80 percent humidity. Hell, it's nearly October now and it's going to be 103 degrees today here. I am considering going dove hunting, but will need a lot of watar if I do. I carry 24/7, never take the gun out of my pocket except to change pants.

It's all in what you need. I am quite sure the SR9C, like all my Rugers, is accurate and reliable. It's just whether it fits your needs or not, that's all.

labhound
September 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
SR9/SR9c owners, do you use the thumb safety, or do you leave it off and just ignore it as if it were any other striker fire pistol without a safety?I use mine, its one of the reasons I bought the SR9.

Fisherdave10
September 27, 2011, 03:58 AM

I carry with with the safety engaged. I like the safety and it will stay put however you prefer to carry. If you carry with it off, I don't think it would accidentally engage. One thing I've noticed is when the safety is on, the whole slide is locked up and can't slide rearwards. If a pistol has all passive safeties such as a Glock, it can be easily disabled by an assailant by grabbing the slide and retracting it just a bit. I'm not sure if it matters at all, since the slide can be moved rearward as soon as the safety is disengaged but even when holstering in a tight holster, it's nice not having the slide move backwards unintentionally. I don't need the ambidextrous safety but the idea of it is nice since the whole gun can be operated with either the right and left hand if my primary hand were to be injured.

One thing I wasn't sure I wanted was the ambidextrous magazine release. I was afraid i might accidentally release the magazine with my gripping hand. This simply does not happen and the releases require a firm and direct push. I wouldn't expect them to ever unintentionally release a magazine. I have found that I actually prefer releasing the mag on the right side when I'm unloading it. (I'm right handed)

The reversible back strap is a nice feature. I prefer the rounded side because it fills my palm better, giving me a better grip.

One of the first things I did was remove the magazine disconnect safety. It was stupidly easy to remove once you got the striker plate off. This disconnect is the only real negative about the gun IMO, but it's very easy to remove.

I really like the loaded chamber indicator. It gives me tactile confirmation that I have something in the chamber. I don't have to visually check the chamber or mess with the slide in the pitch black darkness. In my experience it has been extremely unobtrusive and un-bothersome. I don't know why people wouldn't like it on a carry gun other than the idea that it may have been put on the gun to possibly appease the liberals.

So far, my LCI has not caused a malfunction, melted my gun or parked my car in a no-parking zone. There's no reason to be afraid of it.:)

F-111 John
September 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
Whether you carry the SR9c with the safety on or off, you would be well served to get in the habit of sweeping the thumb safety off every single time you bring the gun on target.

ROCK6
September 27, 2011, 06:50 AM
My apologies to SR9 / SR9c owners. I won't comment any further.

Bah…you’re opinions aren’t abrasive and I would much rather have someone explain their opinion than just say they like or don’t like the specific pistol. I’m indifferent right now. Like I said, I got a great deal on it and my wife liked the way it felt and likes the features.

I really don’t like the LCI, but that isn’t a deal-stopper for me; however, my wife does like it. I hate magazine disconnects, but my wife likes them. I found out a few months ago that my wife was carrying her little Bersa without a round in the chamber…it took several drills at the range to show the problems with no round in the chamber and that the pistol is perfectly safe if you follow the basic rules. Also, with the magazine disconnect, she feels safer at the end of the day removing the magazine and leaving a round in the chamber…not the best practice, but she’s still working at it.

If the SR9c proves reliable, I’ll be satisfied. I personally wished she went with the Sig P239 or S&W M&P9c, but the goal was to pick up what she liked, what felt good to her and what she’ll hopefully enjoy shooting at the range.

There are some pistols I really don’t like the looks of or don’t care for how they feel in the hand…but as long as they are reliable performers, that’s what matters to the end-user and I’m still grateful that we have so many choices available and that’s why I do value others’ opinions/reviews as a factor when doing research.

ROCK6

MCgunner
September 27, 2011, 10:43 AM
Whether you carry the SR9c with the safety on or off, you would be well served to get in the habit of sweeping the thumb safety off every single time you bring the gun on target.

Good reason for me not to get one, then. I carry revolvers a lot, carrying one today. I am an old revolver shooter. I like DAO because you draw and shoot, nothing else to mess up my training. I don't need to think about safeties when the SHTF. I'd be trying to sweep the safety on my .38 and open the cylinder or something. :rolleyes:

Walkalong
September 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
It becomes second nature after a while, but I understand the point. :)

I want to try the full sized SR9 trigger in person one of these days. i know the grip feels good.

wristtwister
September 29, 2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the input guys... just trying to throw a little support to what I think is a great product.

To all the "Glockies", you are seldom satisfied with anything that doesn't have Glock written on it, so I take your criticisms with a grain of salt. I've never found a Glock that fit my hand, (and I've shot dozens of them), so I don't own a Glock. The model 19 is as close as I've found that fit my grip, but comparing the lack of features on Glocks to the SR9C is almost comical. Yes, the SR9 full size was recalled due to a "lawyer issue" with the trigger and their sear system altered, but that is past history... the SR9C is a totally different gun, and there have been no issues with this gun that I'm aware of.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty on all their guns, which is why they won't send you a screw to fix your grips. They do all their own work, and will fix your gun if you send it to them. We send a bunch of guns back to Taurus, and they fix every one of them and send them back, so "service" isn't the issue here. It's the ergonomics of the guns and their reliability. I've had no issues with Rugers, and to my knowledge, we haven't sent any back for repair unless it was one covered by the recall notice.

BTW, there are hundreds of gun recalls on all kinds of guns... not just the popular ones, so I don't think I'd go to the "recall" argument too much. Gun companies fix problems so they reduce their liability... but the guys talking about shooting their "home cooking" ammo are usually outside their warranty, so if you're shooting reloads, you should consider yourself lucky if the company will still fix your gun when it breaks. Every one of the warranties I've read clearly state that you are only covered if you're shooting factory ammo manufactured to SAMMI standards.

Keep the comments coming... good input.

WT

Jeff H
September 29, 2011, 12:25 PM
My SR9 is almost 3 years old with thousands of rounds through it and I still like it very much. It doesn't malfunction, misfire or jam and is a consistent performer with a fairly decent trigger. What is not to like.

I did remove that silly mag disconnect but that has been the only modification.

If you enjoyed reading about "SR9C... The most underrated gun in the market" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!