.44 mag Super Blackhawk, should I?

PDA

Ash_J_Williams
September 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
I've been considering a .44 mag, but they're fairly pricey and I won't use it all that much, so I can't justify spending a grand. I saw a .44 mag Super Blackhawk at a pawn shop for $450, talked him to $400. I figure if I show up with $350, they'd tell me to walk, but I might try it. Any thoughts?

PS: Edit. Super. Der.

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 mag Super Blackhawk, should I?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CraigC
September 25, 2011, 02:25 PM
$400 is really top dollar for a used New Model. Needs to be near perfect with the box and paperwork at that price or I would walk.

BCRider
September 25, 2011, 02:28 PM
I hope you don't mind reloading. Otherwise feeding the beast is expensive as well. And at least half the fun of the big boomer calibers is the wide variety of loadings you can do for cheap.

Ash_J_Williams
September 25, 2011, 02:31 PM
That's why I'm considering it at all, I'm just getting into reloading and figured it'd be much cheaper to shoot now.

BCRider
September 25, 2011, 02:42 PM
Well, in that case I can tell you that my own recently acquired SBH is a lot of fun. Although to make it fit my big hands better I had to make up a set of grips for it.

The other great thing about a big boomer revolver is that you can make up whatever recipe for recoil you want. They don't HAVE to all be "Wrist Wreckers" :D I'm working on a load which is more like a stout .44Spl using 240gn cast lead bullets in front of 7 gns of Trailboss. It's a not a bad balance at all and one which I could use for shooting steel targets without leaving craters in them.

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 mag Super Blackhawk, should I?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!